Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If they are turning to twister pass the Heisman is always a legit option. I also like to go to octopus guard (look up Telles)

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    If they are turning to twister pass the Heisman is always a legit option. I also like to go to octopus guard (look up Telles)
    Thanks dude, will look that octopus guard up.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by mountveggie View Post
    Thanks for the great advice guys!

ml82, that vid is DOPE!! Loads of thanks, gonna work on that for sure. That twister setup variation looks killer.

Arman, that sounds like one wicked (and really useful) sweep. If you remember the name of the sweep,or happen to find the video, can you post it here? Trying my best to visualise it, but my brain's just ain't juiced up enough to properly understand.
    I've been hitting it a lot in the gym, but I don't have a name or a video. I am fine tuning it and maybe I
    can post an instructional when I become a brown belt. I mean, I get the sweep and could explain it in person or a vid no problem, been hammering out the details, but definitely wanna stay in my lane if I wanna continue here on the forums. As far as a name, if it ever becomes included into the system (it is a solid-ass sweep), I'd call it the blackjack sweep. Your guards almost passed, you're cross faced, but you find your grips and BOOM. Blackjack. It looks super flashy when pulled off. Much like blackjack tho, if you don't catch your momentum when you're on top, the guy could sweep you back, much like the spirit of doubling down big money and getting screwed by the dealer. But you heard it here first. Blackjack sweep. Ties really nicely into Kneebar entries as well, I've found lately.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 06-10-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Found a video. His flat-back half guard game is ridiculous. The sweep I was describing was what he calls the Backroll Sweep. Skip to about 3:30. Some gi principles but it all applies to no gi and mma with minor modifications, you'll discover. One of which, instead of grabbing the gi pant, you could grab the toes on the opposite foot a la Old School. This has been extremely successful for me in either generating a reaction and/or getting the sweep outright. Or, if the toes aren't available, just swimming that arm through the posted leg , and being ready to hunt for toes if he switches his base. All the while doing the pendulum motion with your legs. Also, instead of grabbing the sleeve for the pendulum aka blackjack sweep (as I am now calling it given that I found out this guy trains out in Vegas), you can grab the back of his elbow. This too, I have found, works quite beautifully. (We could also call it the Bankroll sweep instead of the Backroll sweep or blackjack sweep. Bankroll sounds cool. Though I do like blackjack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgNhtRby2M
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 06-10-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Found a video. His flat-back half guard game is ridiculous. The sweep I was describing was what he calls the Backroll Sweep. Skip to about 3:30. Some gi principles but it all applies to no gi and mma with minor modifications, you'll discover. One of which, instead of grabbing the gi pant, you could grab the toes on the opposite foot a la Old School. This has been extremely successful for me in either generating a reaction and/or getting the sweep outright. Or, if the toes aren't available, just swimming that arm through the posted leg , and being ready to hunt for toes if he switches his base. All the while doing the pendulum motion with your legs. Also, instead of grabbing the sleeve for the pendulum aka blackjack sweep (as I am now calling it given that I found out this guy trains out in Vegas), you can grab the back of his elbow. This too, I have found, works quite beautifully. (We could also call it the Bankroll sweep instead of the Backroll sweep or blackjack sweep. Bankroll sounds cool. Though I do like blackjack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgNhtRby2M
    That backroll sweep looks so awesome (though I gotta admit, Blackjack Sweep sounds a lot cooler), gonna try that tomorrow. Thanks Arman!

Yea dude that bankroll sweep looks amazing.

I spend a stupid amount of time on the bottom in a position like that.

I will start hunting for toes. I wonder if you could grab/cup the heel?

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    How fast is this happening, that they are getting to twister side pass? Are they in head/arm control first?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12