Trouble shooting lockdown

Hey y'all, I've been working lockdown a lot lately with some success. But today was another story. I dropped in at a nearby gym, and when I rolled the guys there, it didn't matter if I had double underhooks, I could not elevate those guys to sweep them, they had too much pressure on me and a solid base. I tried to switch it up, trap a near arm and bridge, once I managed to grab a kimura grip and sweep that way, but it was pretty frustrating overall just chilling there getting ground down when I had what should have been a perfect position. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this? Also, are there any 10pjj study groups or anything in Houston? I'd really like to be exposed to more of the system! Thanks for any help!

Logan

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    If guys are seriously good at exerting top pressure, and they are holding a tight top halfguard, I find I have to change my mindset a little. Instead of whipping them up, I more or less use the whip up motion to squeeze myself out from under them. It becomes more of a "shrimping out to the side" motion than anything.
    It doesn't upset their base, but it forces them to readjust, which is what I wait for so I can basically whip down and then whip up again, to achieve the proper result.
    If I am gettign nowhere, I will typically just stomp and go to Butterfly, and work from there.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    When guys are pressuring into you while in your lockdown, they are often very susceptible to the stomp series. Alternatively I will also use the whip down to peel them off of a bit so I can then maneuver them better. In general though, the stomp is my goto due to availability when they are pressuring like that...

Thanks man, I'll keep those suggestions in mind to try next time! I was also too focused on getting a sweep from lockdown that I completely forgot about transitioning to butterfly. Thanks!

Do you have a link to a video of the use of the whip down you're talking about? Also, besides going to butterfly guard, what are the other options from the stomp series? Not familiar with those, do you happen to know which MTS to study up on? Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by logan murphy View Post
    Do you have a link to a video of the use of the whip down you're talking about? Also, besides going to butterfly guard, what are the other options from the stomp series? Not familiar with those, do you happen to know which MTS to study up on? Thanks!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...cpZQ/pub?gid=0
    MTS 71 and 72

Thanks Dan, sorry for being such a noob, lol