Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pill count

Array

School
    Kombat Sports/10th Planet Yuma and San Diego (when in the area)
    A lot of pills you should read what the ingredients are to protect yourself from any damage down the road. Second, most of the pills you are taking you can get from juicing or eating vegetables and fruits. Some pills to take best though are usually depending on your health because you wont get as much vitamin C from an orange then you would get from an organic or healthy supplement. Krill oil is best but any omega is big help it just depends on your preference. I do like to take a good vitamin not a "One a Day" or anything like that because your body does not absorb it before it burns it up. A good enzyme and alkaline pill great to help. I read an article on "resveratrol" which helps support cardiovascular function. Again, just read your labels and determine what is in your pill to help the productivity of it in your body, so you're not just wasting money buying something that might not get absorbed or could potentially harm you down the road. There's a guy on this site, Ross (don't remember last name), who is crazy scientific you who knows a lot about the absorption and effectiveness of certain pills who can prolly better help you in this department.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Our foods from the commercial food industry are only a shadow of what they should be, in regards to Nutrient Density. The Commercial food Industry ALONE creates a serious need for Vitamin and Mineral supplementation, because your body is not getting what it needs from the crap we eat on a regular basis.
    Unless you are specifically buying organic grade foods, they are depleted in the building blocks you need. So it makes sense and is necessary to suppliment your Vitamin and Mineral intake.

The rest of the stuff is tailored to meet specific goals or achieve specific results, and is basically a personal thing. Meaning if you have bad joints, get some Glucosimine or shark cartilage or whatever into you. If you don't have bad joints, it may not be a priority for you to take those.

But based on the absolute SHIT standard that our food is, due to the overuse of Genetic modification, Toxic sprays, Sterile soil, etc, the Vitamins and Minerals are a necessity. People say to me "I get everything I need from the food that I eat". Sorry. No, you don't.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Another thing I would like to say is that Protein is an essential in the sense that our bodies have no way to store it.
    We have a way to store carbs and a way to store fat, but no way to store protein. So it is important that you consciously get protein into your body on a regular basis, through clean high protein foods or/and a high quality UN-denatured Protein supplement.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Madisonville TN
    I use to take all kinds of stuff (fish oil, biotin, creatine, vitamin d, etc.) until I realized that I felt no different if I was taking or not taking them. Then I just went to taking a 'one a day' mens vitamin until I realized that I was pretty much just shitting that thing out whole and my body wasn't breaking it down at all. All I do now is a kale shake every morning (I say every morning but I've been slacking a lot lately).

Thanks, now I feel obligated to go to the grocery store this afternoon.

Array

School
    the human body cannot use vitamins if it doesn't have the co-factor mineral to go along with it, and vice-versa.

So people who take ONLY vitamins will truly pee them out. We need to be ensuring that if you supplement, you are taking in products that are complete, or your body won't use them. I read about a lot of people supplementing with Vitamin D. They take a hundred million bajillion IU's a day. One of the co-factor minerals for your body to use Vit-D is Calcium. If you don;t get enough of it, your body will not use the Vit-D and it goes down the toilet.

Other people will supplement their calcium intake, but they are fearful of skin cancer so they avoid the sun at all costs and they don't supplement with a vitamin product. The body cannot use calcium without Vitamin D. People wonder why they hear about ostio-whatever, hearing about people having brittle frames even though they overload on Calcium. Oftentimes these people upwards in age and avoid the sun like vampires.

We need balance.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    Pizza and Beer, the only supplements you'll ever need...

Until you get high blood pressure and need medication
    And bacon to keep those joints lubricated

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    41 years old, pill count is Zero and always been zero. Might occasionally take glucosamine if trying to recover from joint or tendon injury, but that is very rare.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I have gone in and out of phases will pills, but have noticed lately that I don't really feel any different without, aside from glucosamine-chondroitin.

When I first switched to a primarily vegetarian diet I was taking all sorts of vitamins and supplements because I had a shitty diet consisting of mostly starches. Now I'm mostly plant based and buy everything I can from the local farms when in season. Next summer I am going to have a large garden and try to feed my family as much as possible from it.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Rilion Gracie Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    Glucosamine msm chondroitin is only thing there I see worthwhile. You're wasting a tremendous amount of money. You shouldn't be supplementing ANYTHING unless you're lacking and the only way you know that is with bloodwork. Get your diet on point then get bloodwork to see where your deficiencies are.
    I wish there was an app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    the human body cannot use vitamins if it doesn't have the co-factor mineral to go along with it, and vice-versa.

So people who take ONLY vitamins will truly pee them out. We need to be ensuring that if you supplement, you are taking in products that are complete, or your body won't use them. I read about a lot of people supplementing with Vitamin D. They take a hundred million bajillion IU's a day. One of the co-factor minerals for your body to use Vit-D is Calcium. If you don;t get enough of it, your body will not use the Vit-D and it goes down the toilet.

Other people will supplement their calcium intake, but they are fearful of skin cancer so they avoid the sun at all costs and they don't supplement with a vitamin product. The body cannot use calcium without Vitamin D. People wonder why they hear about ostio-whatever, hearing about people having brittle frames even though they overload on Calcium. Oftentimes these people upwards in age and avoid the sun like vampires.

We need balance.
    This is good to hear because funny enough my main source of calories is dairy. With the stupid amount of dairy I intake I'm sure I get plenty of calcium to back up all the Vitamin D. I had heard that Vitamin K helps you absorb Vitamin D before, so I make sure to get that too. Its found in sour/fermented things like soy sauce and kombucha tea. I didn't know about calcium though. I get plenty of sun also.

I should take a minute to recommend kombucha tea. Its an amazing drink with lots of health benefits and can be tailored to be pretty tasty. Its known for breaking peoples addiction to sodas as a fizzy and sweet alternative. It may or may not have Probiotic benefits depending on what you believe, but it is most definitely LOADED with amino acids. This helps you absorb a lot more protein out of your diet because protein is actually made up of amino acid chains. I brew my own and its really not hard. You can start with a store-bought bottle and pour it into some super sweet tea and let it ferment.

I originally started brewing it when I heard Urijah Faber repping it on the JRE. He actually said something like "I hate drinking water because I wish I could be drinking kombucha tea or coconut water all the time instead" I thought it was one of the most badass things I have ever heard because I am always trying to maximize calories, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast