Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rebel Yoga for BJJ asks you, "What is the Piriformis muscle?”

Rebel Yoga asks you, “What is the Piriformis muscle?”
    As a martial artist and athlete, you should be very familiar with this muscle and how it relates to chronic lower back pain, Piriformis Syndrome, and Sciatica.

First of all, the word piriformis comes from the Latin piriformis, or "pear shaped." However, the piriformis muscle itself is a flat muscle, pyramidal in shape, lying almost parallel with the posterior margin of the gluteus medius. It is situated partly within the pelvis against its posterior wall, and partly at the back of the hip-joint.

It arises from the front of the sacrum by three fleshy digitations, attached to the portions of bone between the first, second, third, and fourth anterior sacral foramina, and to the grooves leading from the foramina: a few fibers also arise from the margin of the greater sciatic foramen, and from the anterior surface of the sacrotuberous ligament.

The muscle passes out of the pelvis through the greater sciatic foramen, the upper part of which it fills, and is inserted by a rounded tendon into the upper border of the greater trochanter behind, but often partly blended with, the common tendon of the obturator internus and gemelli. Now that I have thoroughly bored you with anatomical terms, lets talk about why this is very necessary for you as to understand at least the basics.

Why is this important to me as a fighter?
    Piriformis Syndrome occurs when the piriformis irritates the sciatic nerve, which comes into the gluteal region beneath the muscle, causing pain in the buttocks and referred pain along the sciatic nerve. This referred pain is known as "sciatica." Fifteen percent of the population has their sciatic nerve coursing through the piriformis muscle. This subgroup of the population is predisposed to developing sciatica. Sciatica can be described by pain, tingling, or numbness deep in the buttocks and along the sciatic nerve. Sitting down, stretching, climbing stairs, and performing squats usually increases pain. Diagnosing the syndrome is usually based on symptoms and on the physical exam. More testing, including MRIs, X-rays, and nerve conduction tests can be administered to exclude other possible diseases. If diagnosed with piriformis syndrome, the first treatment involves progressive stretching exercises and physical treatment. Corticosteroids can be injected into the piriformis muscle if pain continues. A more invasive, but sometimes necessary treatment involves surgery exploration as a last resort.

As a grappler, or striker you need to learn how to notice the signs of chronic lower back pain, when to seek out medical attention, and how to keep up the general maintenance of your body.

Three yoga poses that Rebel Yoga uses to help relieve the pain of Sciatica and keep up the general wellness of the Piriformis Muscle. Note: Never do static stretches. Only stretch out your body during a vinyasa flow, or when you are already warm. Static stretching will cause injury.

1. Supta Padangusthasana, or Lying Big Toe Pose with a strap.
    2. Utthita Parsvaakonasana
    3. Ardha Chandrasana

Hope to see you in class!

Namaste!
    Jason

www.rebelyoga.net

Follow me on Twitter
    twitter.com/rebelyoga

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    Jason,
    Is it ok to static stretch after working out when you are warm?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Arnold View Post
    Jason,
    Is it ok to static stretch after working out when you are warm?
    For sure Shawn. However, I am always in favor of dynamic stretching, because the movements are more closely associated with grappling, or even with how we use our bodies in general.

The major danger in static stretching is that most people perform static stretches when their bodies are cold. When you are warm, and I mean really warm, static stretching is far less dangerous. It is also far less fun, that is however, just my opinion.

There are two forms of static stretching; passive and active. Passive because it requires no effort on the part of the person performing the stretch and active since it requires effort. I'll give you an example.

A static stretch could simply involve lying on the ground and lifting one leg in the air; holding it up on your own for thirty seconds.

If the stretch is passive, the leg could rest up against a wall (i.e. your glutes are at the base of the wall and the leg is stretching up the wall), or someone else could be helping you hold it up. In the latter scenario, although this posture will stretch muscles in the leg and hip, the person doing the stretch isn’t using the extra muscles required to keep the leg up in place, so the posture is passive.

There are times when static stretching is totally necessary as well. People that are in comas need passive static stretching to prevent atrophy of their muscles.

The reality of the situation is, it is far safer for you to do what is known as vinyasa, or flow yoga. Vinyasa (flow yoga) moves you from posture to posture, teaching you how to connect your breath to movement, and ensuring a warm instrument while performing postures that increase flexibility. Vinyasa is also a great workout for your mind.

This is not to say that you couldn't get hurt in Vinyasa as well. You certainly could, so whether, or not you are in a yoga class, or watching a yoga DVD, just make sure your teacher is a certified yoga instructor and is giving you some instruction on proper alignment.

I also just want to say that people can do whatever they think is necessary for their bodies, I am only trying to help the family and give people the best advice I know how, so they can stay safe from injury and stay on the mats.

Best,
    Jason

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    great post^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awsome material Jason, My girlfriends going to school for Physical Therapy and enjoys reading anything that relates whats in her text books to what she will see in the field. Funny part was the muscle groups you talked about in your original post are ones shes studying currently.

Array

School
    Kalgoorlie :(
    Do you think skipping for
    Five minutes is a good warm up before static stretching?

Quote Originally Posted by JonScottND View Post
    Awsome material Jason, My girlfriends going to school for Physical Therapy and enjoys reading anything that relates whats in her text books to what she will see in the field. Funny part was the muscle groups you talked about in your original post are ones shes studying currently.
    That is awesome Jon!

Array

School
    Electric City MMA
    Thanks man!

A few 10th Planet soldiers have recently been diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome, so I'm ttt'ing this so other people can self diagnose before it gets too serious.

Feel better guys.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Jason, Ive had problems with my back but its more of a upper middle of the back. When its really bad it feels like a knot that I cant stretch out other times its just sore and annoying. Ive been to yoga a few times and it seems to help...do you know of any stretches that really hit that middle of the back area? Ive thought about seeing a chiropractor or something cause I have missed training when it gets really bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast