Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Can you legally pull a 5 point throw in grappling tournaments?
    You wouldn't want to even if you could. If you've got belly to belly (bear hug with both underhooks), you'd want to take them down with a trip or a small hip toss then pass into side control. If you've ducked under and taken the back you'd want to drag them down while sinking your hooks in then begin all your back attacks. If you have enough control of the opponent to throw them you don't want to do a five point throw and risk loosing that control, just take them down with out risking loosing them when you hit the mat.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    First off, don't get me wrong I like Judo and have nothing bad to say about it, I'm just defending greco. Now, as for submissions there are lots of submissions that come from wrestling, such as the twister which is a move wrestlers call a guillotine and wrestlers also use alot of different chokes to control the head, just watch Hughes vs. Almeida. Not to mention even wrestling greats like Dan Gable traces his wrestling roots back to old catch wrestlers like Karl Gotch, Billy Riley, and Billy Robinson who trained MMA fighters like Kazushi Sakuraba and Josh Barnett. Lastly, there is no such thing as lay and pray in greco-roman wrestling, thats called passivity and results in penalty. Lay and pray exists in MMA and yes some wrestlers do use it as a tactic to nullify there opponents game, but don't blame the wrestler for doing what the rules allow. Either the rules need to change and give passivity penalties to for those tactics, or fighters need to learn to stand up, defend takedowns, or find ways to force submissions on dominate wrestlers. The fighter being layed and prayed on is as much to blame for the boring fight as the one doing the lay and pray.
    Right, the lay and pray is basically what you'll see when you watch UFC, Strikeforce or any American MMA promotion. That is why I'm more of a fan of DREAM cause they penalty you for stalling. I can respect you for liking a little greco roman, but I'm a pretty stubborn bastard and will always say that Judo is better. I know they probably shouldn't be compared cause one of them is more sport orientated than the other. But whatever, lmao.

Array

School
    Rōnin
    i like good throws and take downs from judo an greco, here is some no gi judo

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Right, the lay and pray is basically what you'll see when you watch UFC, Strikeforce or any American MMA promotion. That is why I'm more of a fan of DREAM cause they penalty you for stalling. I can respect you for liking a little greco roman, but I'm a pretty stubborn bastard and will always say that Judo is better. I know they probably shouldn't be compared cause one of them is more sport orientated than the other. But whatever, lmao.
    Its all good, bro. I'm a fan of all grappling. Gi judo is awsome to know if you live in the midwest like i do. Its cold as hell out so everyone's wearing jackets which work just like a gi top in a fight. One more thing most of the wrestlers you see doing lay and prey come from a folk style of wrestling background. Folk style doesn't have passivity and it doesn't award you for being an aggresssor like greco and freestyle do. Greco guys like Randy Couture and Jon "Bones" Jones rarely lay on you. Oh and by the way, I hate lay and pray too and definately prefer Japan's MMA scoring over the US's. DREAM, SRC (Sengoku), DEEP, etc. have some great fights and slick submissions

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    i like good throws and take downs from judo an greco, here is some no gi judo
    Cool video, bro.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123