Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Apply the Gi to Nogi

Hi 10P Brothers and Sisters,
    I'm considering training in the gi to simply get more roll/mat time in as my MMA school has 1/2 of it's bjj training days in gi and 1/2 nogi. Is there a technique/attitude I should have when in a gi so that it can translate as much as possible to still increasing my nogi skill? The one thing I can think of is to simply not grip my partner's gi during live rolls. I know this puts me at a huge disadvantage during gi rolls but I don't care so long as I'm still increasing my nogi skill set.

If you're training in the gi, train like you have one on (which you will), worrying about your Gi techniques affecting your No Gi game is silly at this point and will just slow down your learning overall

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    If the sole purpose of joining a gi class is to get more time on the mat to add to your no gi game then yes, play and drill as if you are training no-gi. However if you are training for the sake of training, enjoy the process and play the entire game including the grips. There is a distinction as much as other would want you to think otherwise.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

My point, I think, that being a white belt and worrying about your "No Gi game" is silly when training in the Gi, at white belt you have no game yet

Limiting yourself to the bjj gi experience is just over thinking it at this point, go, train, learn, enjoy

Maybe you bow and arrow someone and like it, maybe you hate collar choking someone, but first try it and see

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    My point, I think, that being a white belt and worrying about your "No Gi game" is silly when training in the Gi, at white belt you have no game yet

Limiting yourself to the bjj gi experience is just over thinking it at this point, go, train, learn, enjoy

Maybe you bow and arrow someone and like it, maybe you hate collar choking someone, but first try it and see
    good advice here

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Like Zog said, depends on your goals. After 2 or 3 months you might change your goals concerning jiu jitsu.

A weird issue I ran into was being in a learning mode of thought and keeping my normal game separate. Was like I would flow normal or be trying to think of gi techniques to use and forget most of my normal game. a Just something I ran into from trying to add new stuff that I want sure I wanted to blend in yet because I thought it would hurt my no gi game. You might just end up liking the gi game because it's just more grappling to learn as an overall martial artist. I was no gi for years without ever putting in a gi. Mostly because the one legit bjj school in the area was ran by a douche. a good instructor week make your game better no matter what you do but definitely depends on if your in it for the long haul or just the knowledge and skill for mma.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    If you wear a gi, dance to the rhythm of the music. If you're doing no-gi, dance to the rhythm of the music.

I generally play the exact same game in the GI that I do nogi, but I spent a few years nogi before I started in the GI. There a few things I do that started of as GI specific because they were fun, but I now make it work no GI as well. Just do whatever is fun for you.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne & Perth Hotbox
    Awesome advice and points from everyone! I think unless you are training for a specific No-Gi event then stick with the 10th Planet philosophy of keeping an open mind. I have learn some important lesson wearing the gi which have only benefited me as a grappler, it is also important to support your other team mates as well so good on you for attending the Gi class regardless of the game you decide to play. Have fun with it man!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gibbs View Post
    I generally play the exact same game in the GI that I do nogi, but I spent a few years nogi before I started in the GI. There a few things I do that started of as GI specific because they were fun, but I now make it work no GI as well. Just do whatever is fun for you.
    This is basically what I did and I also did no-gi first. I've been doing jiu jitsu for almost 10 years and I'm just finally starting to play a little leg lasso and spider hooks. It's not that often and it's only been within the past year. I used to hate on really gi specific guards and techniques but it's been more fun that I thought it would be.

But overall I like being able to do the same things in both and using a lot of no-gi style grips and controls so my hands don't get too fucked up. Plus I think it's good to be able to train in either and not have to adjust too much.

I think people that mostly train in the gi really don't get how easy it is to do a lot of "no-gi" moves in the gi. Lots of ppl will swear they're a lot harder to do in the gi but I don't find that to be true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast