Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    KMA Philippines

Keenan's New Mantis Guard

Anybody seen Keenan's new Mantis Guard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDBIGFn_QM

Sorry, haven't figured out yet on how to embed videos.

This is no-gi btw despite the video thumbnail

If you click the box that looks like a roll film strip above the text box that your write in, you can paste in the youtube link and the video will embed. I'll do it real quick. Or you can also type in and then paste the youtube link in between the brackets ( the ][ part)

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I like it.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Creativity and development in the NoGi game continues to amaze and delight me. I like this Mantis Guard. Can't wait to see more developments on the paths using it and it being effectively used vs good competition.

Is anyone beginning to feel the nomenclature of BJJ guards is almost reminiscent of of kung fu styles?

For example, the Five Animals of kung fu: Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake, and Dragon. According to wikipedia, there are countless more animals and styles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Animals

BJJ guard names are like: Butterfly, Octopus, Donkey, Turtle, Rat, Spider, Worm, and here the most recent Mantis!

Just "shower thoughts."

Anyway, I am always impressed on the evolution and innovation of BJJ, good job Keenan!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    This was on facebook:

Jay J Pages

Caio, isn't this the Terra guard you've been showing for years? If I remember correctly, isn't this on your 111 half guard dvd set?

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Looks interesting. Seems like it would pair well with quarter guard. But it seems like it's really leaving your arm open for a rolling kimura.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Solid
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jack LaBarge View Post
    This was on facebook:

Jay J Pages

Caio, isn't this the Terra guard you've been showing for years? If I remember correctly, isn't this on your 111 half guard dvd set?
    Kind of. What he's talking about is what he called the Terra Guard, which is just RDLR/Spiral. What Keenan does here has a 2nd hand grip. Whether or not that should warrant this being another guard than RDLR/Spiral is another discussion and worth a debate. But what Keenan is showing here is definitely not exactly what Caio terra showed on his 111 half guard techniques dvd set.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Montano View Post
    Is anyone beginning to feel the nomenclature of BJJ guards is almost reminiscent of of kung fu styles?
    I think it's similar in names, but not styles. Kung fu had entire styles and systems based on animal forms. BJJ just has names for short series attacks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast