Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery advice

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham

Recovery advice

Hello.

I'm a jiu jitsu beginner, just a few weeks worth of training (@10th Planet Birmingham, UK) and I bloody love it. Got a fantastic instructor, good training partners and the realisation that I have so much to learn is pretty damn exciting.

Wondered if any of you vets have some advice on recovery methods? Is it a case of me just needing to toughen up or do you have some pre/post session tips for staying in good shape? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Injury prevention > Injury recovery, although you'll need solid game plans for both. Proper warm ups, stretching, knowing which girls/guys who can get you to tap without having to crank the sub 100% vs the people who will crank a joint lock from 0-100% right off the bat is important as well to keep yourself from getting injured. Post session is one of your most important times to get in a good meal/meal replacement within 45 minutes or less after you've finished training. I like having a protein bar/shake RIGHT after a training session while I'm driving home. Good luck, stay healthy. I'm treating jiu jitsu like a marathon, not a sprint, and if I can roll till the day I die, I'll die a happy man.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    Thanks, I've been drinking a lot of water after training but not eating much. Good tip.

Still new so unsure of who'll break my shit off, but I'll learn as I go.

Marathon is a good metaphor; there's loads to learn so going full throttle at it isn't the best idea. Did some guard pass sparring yesterday and realised how little I know. I'm tired because I was using all my strength with little technique. Got my back taken by a kid half my size who barely broke a sweat. Amazing eye opener that focussing on technique rather than hulking it will pay dividends.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Amos View Post
    Still new so unsure of who'll break my shit off, but I'll learn as I go.
    You'll know. Also, even if it's not 100%, I've never been injured by a purple or higher, not that they can't, cuz they can kill me pretty much anytime they want to just to make that clear, but I think they just have done a sub so many times that they know how much force to apply to get that tap without injuring their partner.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    That makes sense, more experience and hopefully less ego.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Hello.

I'm a jiu jitsu beginner, just a few weeks worth of training (@10th Planet Birmingham, UK) and I bloody love it. Got a fantastic instructor, good training partners and the realisation that I have so much to learn is pretty damn exciting.

Wondered if any of you vets have some advice on recovery methods? Is it a case of me just needing to toughen up or do you have some pre/post session tips for staying in good shape? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
    Drink lots of water, take an ice bath (or cryotherapy if you can swing it) to recover faster, understand that the jiu jitsu journey is a marathon not a sprint. You'll be a much better grappler training 2-3x a week for 10 years than 5-6 days a week for a couple years then fizzling out.

Array

School
    Team Quest Redding
    Sleep a lot.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Drink lots of water, take an ice bath (or cryotherapy if you can swing it) to recover faster, understand that the jiu jitsu journey is a marathon not a sprint. You'll be a much better grappler training 2-3x a week for 10 years than 5-6 days a week for a couple years then fizzling out.
    Thanks, not sure about local cryotherapy but will check it out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha J Baker View Post
    Sleep a lot.
    My six month old disagrees with this. He's got me on a deprivation schedule...

chris miah

Hello.

Cheers.
    1) Sleep
    2) Nutrition
    3) Take one or two days off per week

Then things like, supplements, cryotherapy, sauna's etc can all come into play.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast