Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    I was fooling around with this for a while. We called it whale guard because I was fat and lazy when I started playing with it. I haven't used it in a while but it was super high percentage when I was using it.

I would always try to work my way to the back forcing my opponent to post with the other hand on the other side. I would pick that hand for the sweep. There were a couple of other options. I used to hit an arm triangle from bottom similar to the one from lockdown and also the kimura is often there.

I will go back to it this week and see if anything else pops into my memory.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about lol. Those are the same subs I used to find myself catching.

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    UPDATE: I was dummy swept like a dummy by a black belt at my school yesterday. I haven't seen it played with yet so it caught me totally off guard, but I see where it comes up now I just couldn't believe the timing of it after this discussion. I think it's because I started standing passing lately and trying to work more top, which I typically don't do. Now I am open for this stuff though and can see where it hits easier. I've had my legs wrapped up, but most of the time wrestler style so I never attributed it to having game, just thought it was a wrestler thing if you can get their legs together that's great for the takedown, but it's hard to catch unless you get the timing down and have more options that just blast though a takedown with it and get your head pushed which is why I assumed it was just a wrestler thing

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson J Lodge View Post
    UPDATE: I was dummy swept like a dummy by a black belt at my school yesterday. I haven't seen it played with yet so it caught me totally off guard, but I see where it comes up now I just couldn't believe the timing of it after this discussion. I think it's because I started standing passing lately and trying to work more top, which I typically don't do. Now I am open for this stuff though and can see where it hits easier. I've had my legs wrapped up, but most of the time wrestler style so I never attributed it to having game, just thought it was a wrestler thing if you can get their legs together that's great for the takedown, but it's hard to catch unless you get the timing down and have more options that just blast though a takedown with it and get your head pushed which is why I assumed it was just a wrestler thing
    Yes! I am definitely seeing it as an option against some standing passes.

I'm taking notes.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqb...ature=youtu.be

Octopus Half. Some interesting options which combo with lockdown tech. Looks like a combination threat with the electric chair. Might work nogi.

Definitely related to this concept of catching both legs, so i thought I would update this ancient thread with the knowledge.

Array

School
    Ethos Jiu-Jitsu & Martial Arts of Tyler, Texas
    I think I'm going to try this. I'm going to try making them catch their balance, by basing with an arm. Once they do, triangle!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234