Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center

16 Yr old Gracie Jiu Jitsu school owner and Instructor

http://www.bjjee.com/featured/16-yea...n-mississippi/

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blue belt, Houston Cottrell, 16 years old, is the youngest certified instructor with the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy, and now head instructor and owner of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Madison.
    His academy is Mississippi’s only Gracie Academy-certified training center.

Cottrell teaches both adults and children, with the Gracie bullyproof program.

Houston_Cottrell_IK_t670

He told Jacksonfreepress:
    “Our program teaches kids physical self-defense and how to defend themselves verbally,”
    “When you know you can defend yourself physically if necessary, you can focus on defending yourself verbally first. You can tell the bully not to do that again and stand up to them without hurting the bully.”
    Cottrell’s own parents train at his academy.
    “Taking courses together gives families something to do together and have in common, and that’s something that’s needed today,”
    Cottrell also offers private lessons by appointment.
    The academy:

gracie mississipi

His bio from his academy website:
    ‘Houston Cottrell is a certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Blue Belt under the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA. Having completed an extensive instructor certification program in July 2014 he became the youngest certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Instructor. Houston is passionate about teaching and this certification means that Houston will be teaching the exact same techniques that are taught at the Gracie Academy in Torrance using the same teaching methodologies and guidelines that Grandmaster Helio Gracie outlined. He is excited to bring the “Gentle Art” as well as the Gracie philosophies to Mississippi.
    Houston has taught both adult and children’s classes in various martial arts since he was nine years old and also holds a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate.”

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    Saw this on FB. Hmmm...

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    I mean like, if this 16 year old blue belt can convince adults to pay him, more power to him.

Outside of what he is doing right, what are his competitors doing wrong or not doing?

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by NotReady View Post
    I mean like, if this 16 year old blue belt can convince adults to pay him, more power to him.

Outside of what he is doing right, what are his competitors doing wrong or not doing?
    Guess they're not keeping it playful

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Guess they're not keeping it playful
    Lol but seriously tho. Like, are there any other black belts or brown belts in that town or nearby? If somebody told me "yeah, your gym is cool and all, but I'm gonna go train with that 16 year old blue belt down the street" I would have to take a very long, painful look in the mirror the next morning.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    If somebody told me "yeah, your gym is cool and all, but I'm gonna go train with that 16 year old blue belt down the street" I would have to take a very long, painful look in the mirror the next morning.
    Amen brother.....esp to the instructors who run a gym where everyone has to obey his/her every whim and he makes them kill each other for the next stripe or belt....

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbChao View Post
    Amen brother.....esp to the instructors who run a gym where everyone has to obey his/her every whim and he makes them kill each other for the next stripe or belt....
    Exactly. By nature of being so young and a junior rank, this kid might be offering the type of humility and manners some classical jiu jitsu meatheads might not be able to provide.

Don't get me wrong, I have mixed feelings about this at best, I'm really just trying to make sense of it myself.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Meh, we have blue belts that run affiliates in 10th planet. He probably doesn't do the selling. It is what it is.

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Meh, we have blue belts that run affiliates in 10th planet. He probably doesn't do the selling. It is what it is.
    That's a good point. I guess both the Gracie Academy and 10th Planet offer distinct and very unique styles that your average BJJ school doesn't really touch on, at least not anywhere near to the same degree.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Yeah, but do they charge as much as everyone else?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast