Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra St. Peters/10th Planet Ronin

JIU JITSU over 40

[URL="http://Youtu.be/FGK_urw1_ha
    Last edited by Eric Schuettenberg; 08-11-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Array

School
    Well fuck I guess the link isn't going to work

Mikael Chay

Last edited by Mikael Chay; 08-11-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Chay View Post
    Thank you Mikael

I saw this last night and was wondering what other guys over 40 thought about it. I have heard Eddie use the 20lbs equals a belt analogy before but this was the first time I heard someone say 10 years equals a belt. I'll be 48 in 10 days and a lot of this hit home with me for sure. I was recently out for 9 months with a torn lcl. I have been back for about three months and to say its taking for ever to get any kind of jiu jitsu cardio back is an understatement. Obviously I have seen declines in recent years but this is crazy. I roll two sometimes three rounds and I'm just spent. I'm only rolling 2-3 times per week so I don't think I'm over training. My diet is the same as always good but not great. Did all the time off just accelerate the decline or does anyone have any suggestions? I have always prided myself on having decent cardio for an old guy so this has been very frustrating.
    Last edited by Eric Schuettenberg; 08-11-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Diet is critical! It has without a doubt prolonged my mat time. I still roll 3x a week for an hour straight.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Give it more time, Eric. You only been back for a couple of months. It takes time to build that cardio back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    Age is a factor and it sucks. You must be humble and understand your limits. My problem is I try to do much. Then I get injured because it takes me longer to recover. I try to not have an ego and enjoy the journey. Otherwise I would be going nuts.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    Trained in my 20s; picked back up in mid-40s: world of difference. Aside from being slower, big difference is I lift, stretch and rest/recover in a very consistent way now and if I didn't I don't think I could hang with it. Other than that, I avoid carbs like the plague. On the other hand, barring a serious injury, I don't see any reason to expect to slow down for the foreseeable future.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I can't see the video but I will watch this asap. (Work computers block youtube)
    I am 42, recently promoted to blue belt, and hold my own against guys half my age.

Diet, exercise.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I can't watch the video. I cant stand listening to those two guys talk for 27 minutes. I know they're nice guys but they talk too long imo.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast