Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)

Opponent stacking when in Closed guard.

Hey guys.

So I was rolling last night with a guy who was a a lot bigger than me. I'm 88kg, this guy was easilly 100kg+. He was a new guy at the gym so I havent rolled with any one of that size difference often.

I established closed guard and he wrestler based, forehead in my jaw, ass in the air.
    I was struggling to come up with ideas with what to do from here because anytime I tried for something it was just stuffed.

When a smaller opponent has done this, usually it just gives me a better chance to get a higher guard, even rubber guard/ free new york. At times with others their elbows have been fairly open at this point so easy triangles and reversals to mount happen; but I couldnt get anything on this guy.

Any tips? Go to techniques?
    I think this sort of position is quite an amateur thing to do when you're in someones guard, because its basically the opposite of posturing. I didnt feel threatened with any guard pass or submission while I was there...to be honest it was out of boredom that I tried to stay active because he just never settled.

Even as I'm typing now, I'm sure a could use a butterfly hook or something.

Advice appreciated!

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    If I get in this kind of scenario, I'll either use a foot on his hip to try and push him away if I think I can get to my rubber guard, or insert a butterfly and chop his other leg to sweep.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this can be a pain for me, although in my case I'm getting stacked in my rubber guard and can't progress to IC. What do you do to combat this? A hip push helps to some extent. Also I'm pretty comfortable stacked. Should I wait it out in NY crackhead? Any and all comments are appreciated!

Array

School
    Team R.O.C. (10th planet ronin)
    push fore arm away, get perpendicular, arm triangle him.....

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I dig the knuckles of my fist into the squishy part of his throat until I can crossface and lift his chin. From there you have options depending on his reaction.

The reason this is frustrating is because it keeps his hips square with yours and you get no angle. You have to create a lil space before you can get an angle.

Also prevent him from ever getting there with proper frames. Forearms or elbows on his clavicle or foot on hip.

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    Dont know why I didnt use the foot on hip. Makes complete sense. Anthony - that half butterfly sweep you mentioned is something I usually do but I find it difficult to chop the other leg if the guy is a monster.

I'll try some of the throat stuff also, thanks Bobby.

Logan - If I do get stacked once I've established New York, for me it makes it easier to get to the Omoplata because they're burying their head down for you to Kung fu move over.

I was exhausted during this role also - think I just mentally tapped out and just defended.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFirth View Post
    Dont know why I didnt use the foot on hip. Makes complete sense. Anthony - that half butterfly sweep you mentioned is something I usually do but I find it difficult to chop the other leg if the guy is a monster
    You can also put your foot just above the knee and push straight back ala traditional "push sweep" to remove that base leg. I usually try the chop first, push second. This move works best if you can secure a strong overhook first. Also with a strong attempt at the single butterfly sweep you can sometimes move to ham sandwich if he avoids you "chopping" leg.
    Last edited by Greg W; 08-12-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Sweet, thanks for the input!

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    This works for me sometimes.

Anyone who is a pro at the dropkick from stacked rg able to give some key pointers for this move?

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    What's the situation with his arm positioning? If he's trying to can opener you with his hands around your head to compress you, I like the deep hook transition to the toss right into spiderweb. If his hand is on the mat, I like to go to the omoplata. If his forearms are in tight on your hips, I would try some pop triangles. Once he starts to feel threatened from the stack position in your guard, he'll start respecting your reactions and change his approach up. Also, once he postures his first foot up to stack, I like to underhook the leg ASAP and try for a pendulum sweep or armbar. Usually even if he doesn't know what you have in mind, that will scare him and he might just put the leg back down. Putting a butterfly hook in to attempt a sweep isn't a bad plan either but a good guard passer will stuff your knee and look to pass immediately. Try to take advantage of the fact that he's taking his own movement away by stacking. Scooping an underhook on his arm and getting to prison guard has also worked for me. Luckily I train with a few big savage training partners who like to do this so I've developed a gameplan somewhat on how to deal with it.
    Last edited by Nick Paul; 08-13-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast