Array

School
    Ronin / MMA Institute

Lockdown Whip Up Problem

I have been having trouble with the whip up from lockdown. At my gym I have no problem getting the lockdown, but my training partners have slowly began to figure out how to nullify the whip up / me getting to my side. I usually have the underhooks, but for some reason I'm just getting based really well & when I try to whip up I just remain flat from them basing me well. When I first started training at my gym I could freely get the whip up / lockdown / oldschool / electric chair set up any time I wanted, but a few of my partners know what I'm going for now from doing it so many times. Is there anything i'm missing, or tricks to getting the whip up against someone who knows what to look for while in it? I have watched a lot of instructionals & the lockdown disc of the rubber guard dvd several times to try to find out some new set ups for it or tricks, but seem to still have problems. Any advice? Thanks!
    Last edited by P.O.R Stunts; 08-13-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Options: Whip down, boa to dogfight, godfather, stomp series to butterfly, transition to full guard.

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    I like to dogfight or try to create space to escape to a different guard if I don't feel successful in half guard. Like Bobby said ^ those sweeps or transitions he named will do exactly that. Sometimes just a plain ol' shrimp is enough for me to create space and escape to guard if the options I am trying from half do not work. Other times when I am feeling like being a little fancier I even loosen up and let them set up a knee slice pass so I can ghost escape as soon as they free their leg from my half guard :P

The tighter you keep your lockdown, the harder it will be for them to fight you in half guard, so remember to never let up on that so you don't have to resort to letting them pass and hoping you can outmaneuver them on most occasions. Squeeze those knees and straighten those legs I know you most likely know this, however everyone needs to remember to remind themselves 100%, 100% of the time with the lockdown to develop it until it is automatic.
    Last edited by Carson J Lodge; 08-14-2015 at 08:23 AM.

Array

School
    In my mind
    I'm just a blue and I can't even train anymore so take that into consideration with my remarks. I just don't see it as 100% all the time. I've found that the whip up is simply a technique to get to my side and find my angle. When people are insistent on a certain thing, they forget about the rest. For me it's always simpler to move my big ass rather than the other guy. Why not shrimp while transitioning to a traditional half and back or to dogfight as mentioned. I guess I'm saying they may only be stuffing your lockdown because it's all you want, in reality you just want your angle. Why not shortcut?

Array

School
    Ronin / MMA Institute
    You are probably right about me just wanting the angle that the whip up brings. I've always had a hard time with the stomp series for some reason, but I will drill that next class for sure. The dog fight / whip down usually is my second option when I can't get lockdown game going. It's just so much easier for me for some reason when the whip up works. Thanks for the feedback guys.