Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant

Neck Pain from Rolling

Say your neck cracks a bunch of times from a can opener, and your ROM is limited all of a sudden from what could be muscle tightness or w/e happens when you're can opened hard. What is a good way to as speedily as possible recover to regain full ROM and to reduce w/e pain one gets from minimal to none?

Also, what's the best way to get out of the can opener when someone is in your guard?
    Last edited by Enrique "Kiko"; 08-16-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Array

School
    10p Ronin/Midtown MMA Houston
    Chiropractic adjustment, decompression therapy, rest, when recovery is far enough along physical therapy/exercise to strengthen stabilizing muscles. Spine injuries put me out of BJJ for 8 months, this route got ME back in the game but may not be for everyone.

Array

School
    10th Planet Riverside
    Tap early yo!
    "Never go full retard"
    Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Periscope @10P4L

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    Can openers are easy to defend early rather than late. If you see it setting up early, you can simply swim in.

If they get the grip, but not the leverage by cranking you still have time to hit an armbar.

If they start cranking and you can no longer angle out for an armbar, you have to let go of your closed guard and use your hands to scoot your butt away from them. It makes it so your butt is under you, instead of in front of you like in closed guard. This makes his crank useless since it would be like someone pulling your head into them if you were sitting down.

Hope that helps

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    Had it happen to me as a white belts that and getting stuck trying to roll out of omoplatas. Hurt and was stiff for a year. Then I started really stretching my neck. The roll over your neck touching knees and toes on the mat like granby rolls. After a couple months the pain and stiffness disappeared.

Hey, I am sorry to know about your neck pain. I would like to suggest you to get the acupuncture therapy. I have also got acupuncture for my shoulder pain. I got the therapy at acupuncture Mississauga clinic.

For can openers I suggest either trying to armbar them, opening your guard, or just tapping. Unless you're trying to compete as a pro grappler or fighter I just don't think it's worth it if you work a full time job to let your neck get jacked up that bad. I know someone that got can opener'd hard and got a couple bulged discs and he's all fucked up.

I'm an evangelist for good massage therapy. Chiropractors can probably help, but I really like massage therapy too because once your muscles are relaxed, an adjustment from a chiropractor will go further, since your muscles are no longer pulling your bones out of alignment again.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Say your neck cracks a bunch of times from a can opener, and your ROM is limited all of a sudden from what could be muscle tightness or w/e happens when you're can opened hard. What is a good way to as speedily as possible recover to regain full ROM and to reduce w/e pain one gets from minimal to none?
    1) Isolate the area on your body that is causing pain.
    2) Identify the precise location of said pain.
    3) Identify muscle with limited range of motion and research what nerve innervates that muscle.
    http://www.gwc.maricopa.edu/class/bio201/cn/cranial.htm
    4) Understand that a great majority of rotational deficiencies stem from occlusion of the spinal accessory nerve (Cranial Nerve XI) since it controls your trapezius and your sternocleidomastoid, the latter of which plays a central role in head rotation.
    5) Google search for "exercises to strengthen trapezius" or "exercise to strengthen cranial nerve XI" and you'll find exercises that you could do to help slowly strengthen the area. Here, I've done it for you. There are some major tips here to help deal with the pain. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1298684-treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    Also, what's the best way to get out of the can opener when someone is in your guard?

1) Open your guard
    2) Place your feet on his hips
    3) Use your feet to push yourself backward and disengage from his control.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 09-09-2015 at 08:08 AM.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Thank you to everyone so far. I've read through this thread multiple times to make sure I didn't forget any of the good suggestions and advice.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Often the movement cause by the can opener when you chin is compressed to your chest results in bulging discs as talked about in this thread. No idea if this relates to you but may help if it does.

Like I said in the thread Mckenzies exercises changed my life and it's free

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...ight=Mckenzies
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast