Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stoked for ADCC

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Even though he probably has the best wrestling in that weight besides Justin Rader and Cobrinha I just don't think his no-gi game is going to be on par with some of the other heavy hitters at -66kg. But we'll see really soon.
    Maybe, but he's been focused on MMA recently too, and training with Bendo. His nogi could be improved.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Popovitch is tough for everyone man. I always get fucking nervous whenever he and Lovato Jr. face off because I'm a huge Lovato fan. I think Lovato has a win over him at NoGi Worlds too. Popovitch's build and his style just make him so hard to deal with. He's not that exciting to watch but I think he can damn near pass anyone if he can get himself into their half guard.

Yeah he lost to Rader in the first match at the last ADCC. It went to the end of double OT and Rader rightfully got the nod. It was a good match but Rader out worked him and even had a couple tight looking top guillotines if I remember.

I don't know what to make of Tanquinho in this format. No disrespect intended but I think he wins a lot of matches in IBJJF on being a fantastic grappler with the rules. He always knows how to get advantages from near subs, takedowns, sweeps, and passes. He's always in great position on the mat itself for whatever he's about to try. His sense of how much time is left and what strategy to use is incredible. He's a very cerebral grappler. In fact I can think of maybe 1 or 2 subs I've ever seen from him and he's a world champ gi and no-gi and was always right there with Rafa and Cobrinha.

Even though he probably has the best wrestling in that weight besides Justin Rader and Cobrinha I just don't think his no-gi game is going to be on par with some of the other heavy hitters at -66kg. But we'll see really soon.
    Yeah, Tanq is tough to call, but like you said he knows how to win within the rules

He is so positionally strong that with focus being on MMA for a while now will make him really tough to beat in ADCC

I still like Cobrinha since Rafa out, the top 3 are Cobrinha, Radar and Tanq IMO this year

Array

School
    blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    Yeah, Tanq is tough to call, but like you said he knows how to win within the rules

He is so positionally strong that with focus being on MMA for a while now will make him really tough to beat in ADCC

I still like Cobrinha since Rafa out, the top 3 are Cobrinha, Radar and Tanq IMO this year
    i'm anxious to see how ed cummings fares and if it reveals the limitations of having a game so leg attack heavy

i also favour rubens. i would like to see him take another title

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    ADCC reported Rader is out
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    ADCC reported Rader is out
    I'm guessing that means he failed to make weight? Is it day-before weight ins?

Bummer.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Yeah it was a weight issue for Rader. Sucks. He's one of my favorites.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    I'm guessing that means he failed to make weight? Is it day-before weight ins?

Bummer.
    Yes he's out because of weight. Can't make it. He's replaced by Daniel Hortegas.

-66kg will still be fun, but it still sucks this happened. 3 of the top 4 2013 66kg athletes aren't returning (Rafa Mendes silver, Justin Rader bronze, Joao Miyao bronze runner-up)

There should still be plenty of fun matches between Cobrinha, Cummings, Geo, Glover, Grippo, and Tanquinho, but it sucks when you just really know that the best guys aren't there. And not even losing 1 or even 2 of the top guys, but losing 3 is a real shame. Whoever wins gold still beat the best that the world had to offer that were able to show up, but damn youknow these guys wish that some of these top guys were in the mix.

Array

School
    blank
    didn't make weight? dafuq?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    I know man. I'm confused and annoyed. Me and some friends had an ADCC fntasy draft. A sub is worth 1 point and each medal is worth a set amount of points. On Sunday the player whose team has the most points wins. Rader was one of my better sleeper picks on my team.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    They have to weigh in a bunch of times. I think Once upon arrival to make sure they're close, Once the day of, and again the next day. Can't cut too much weight in hopes of rehydration. The only people who really don't have to worry are the dudes at +99Kg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast