Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mikael Chay

Eddie Cummings on why he's a 'scathing indictment' of how jiu-jitsu treats leg locks

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28...-how-jiu-jitsu

Very interesting interview (IMO) of Eddie Cummings ahead of ADCC.
    Thought I'd share it as I don't think it's been posted here before (my apologies if it has).
    Last edited by Mikael Chay; 08-29-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Great interview

Mikael Chay

Ryan Hall tweeted this weekend what seems to be a direct answer to Eddie Cummings' interview linked above. Here's his tweet:
    http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/ryan-h...-leglock-game/

That's not really what I got out of Cummings' interview but maybe I'm missing something...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mikael Chay; 11-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I agree with hall, I think he wasn't shitting on Cummings I think he was shitting on all the media that has been portraying leg locks and Eddie and Gary as the unbeatable leg lock wizards. Yes they both are amazing but, again they both lost to phenomenal top players
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I perceive this as Hall being bitter that Cummings is getting more attention than he thinks he deserves.

His quote is off because, well, Tanq never scored any passing points on Eddie. Tanq looked to be the better grappler, but that's mostly because he was playing defense. Not so much because his passing was phenomenal. Eddie lost because of a penalty, not because of any points that Tanq scored. The result may have been different with different rules. Hall's quote might make more sense if he used the Tonon/Lepri match as an example, but even then, Lepri's top game neutralizes most games.
    Last edited by David Rosado; 09-01-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I perceive this as Hall being bitter that Cummings is getting more attention than he thinks he deserves.

His quote is off because, well, Tanq never scored any passing points on Eddie. Tanq looked to be the better grappler, but that's mostly because he was playing defense. Not so much because his passing was phenomenal. Eddie lost because of a penalty, not because of any points that Tanq scored. The result may have been different with different rules. Hall's quote might make more sense if he used the Tonon/Lepri match as an example, but even then, Lepri's top game neutralizes most games.
    Actually the whole conversation was mostly about the Lepri/Tonon.

Hall has first hand experience. He spent a long time specializing in leg locks and it didn't work out for him at ADCC. So he knows that it's not a magic bullet. He's really not taking nearly as much of a shot at Cummings as people think. He was moreso poking fun at Luke Thomas who wrote the article and is a friend of his

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Actually the whole conversation was mostly about the Lepri/Tonon.

Hall has first hand experience. He spent a long time specializing in leg locks and it didn't work out for him at ADCC. So he knows that it's not a magic bullet. He's really not taking nearly as much of a shot at Cummings as people think. He was moreso poking fun at Luke Thomas who wrote the article and is a friend of his
    Quote: @tanquinhojj 's base and passing are a scathing indictment of the idea that leglocks are some kind of secret to beating elite grapplers.

Where was the whole conversation? From that link I only see a short article and a direct quote from Hall speaking on Tanq and Cummings.

Tanq vs Eddie and even Lepri vs Tonon only prove that they are better grapplers under those rules. And the rules are a relevant factor. I will never ever forget the BJJ Kumite where AJ Agazarm completely dominated Tonon for maybe 20 minutes straight. If it were a tournament, AJ probably scored 40 points or more over the course of about 3 rounds. And yet, it was Tonon who got the submission. It doesn't necessarily mean that Eddie or Tonon would've won. I'm just pointing out that the rules did play a factor. As I've pointed out, Tanq won on a negative point. So he won simply by avoiding heel hooks.

I don't think that anyone believes that leg locks are a magic bullet. I would hope not. That's a silly notion. Likewise, people would be foolish to believe that base and passing are magic bullets for dealing with leg locks.

Cummings is still 100% right though. The fact that he's made it all the way through numerous tourneys, all the way to $20k, and all the way to ADCC off the strength of his leg lock game is indeed a scathing indictment to jiu jitsu's treatment of leglocks.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    I'm not an English major but I am pretty sure "indictment" is the wrong word here.

...but that that was the interviewer's language so whateves. I personally think "pariah" would have been a more grammatically sound choice.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Really enjoyed that interview. Can someone explain to me what they're talking about when they were speaking on "Tech Fall"?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    In wrestling, when there is a 15 point lead over an opponent the match is over and it is called a technical fall.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast