Array

School
    Zero gravity martial arts/ Will Machado BJJ

Loner drills!!!!

Hey everyone! I don't have a lot of training partners I can train with outside of academy hours and I can't afford a grappling dummy so i was wondering if anyone could list some solo drills I can do at home to help me sharpen my skills faster.
    Thanks in advance!!!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Get a stability ball for mobility and core drills. There a bunch of youtube videos out there for drill reference.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Norwich JKD and Kali, Norwich, England.

This might be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Martin View Post
    Hey everyone! I don't have a lot of training partners I can train with outside of academy hours and I can't afford a grappling dummy so i was wondering if anyone could list some solo drills I can do at home to help me sharpen my skills faster.
    Thanks in advance!!!!
    Hey Joshua, I'm in a similar situation to you, so instead of shelling out a tonne of cash for a dummy, I made one myself for just over £30. It's anatomically correct and hard-wearing (even if you keep trying terrible Tai Otoshi throws and suspect rolling kimuras on it like me). I made a how to video, which I'll post below. Hope this helps!

Array

School
    Alliance HQ - Atlanta, GA
    Hip escapes! On the stability ball, my favorite exercise is when you put you straighten your legs and place your heels on the ball; elevate your hips slightly and curl your legs towards your butt. This movement emulates armbars and triangle chokes. Other than those BJJ specific movements, I like to do pull ups, box jumps, the stairmaster, "break dance" exercise and kettlebell routines to strengthen my grips and legs.

Array

School
    Non 10thPlanet
    Sooner or later get bored. I find all the replies very usefull so thanks!

Array

School
    Zero gravity martial arts/ Will Machado BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Oldfield View Post
    Hey Joshua, I'm in a similar situation to you, so instead of shelling out a tonne of cash for a dummy, I made one myself for just over £30. It's anatomically correct and hard-wearing (even if you keep trying terrible Tai Otoshi throws and suspect rolling kimuras on it like me). I made a how to video, which I'll post below. Hope this helps!

Thank u very much my friend i may start putting none together today

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Martin View Post
    Thank u very much my friend i may start putting none together today
    Good work, brother. If you make one, let us know how it goes!

Thanks for your tips as well, Chris and Jason. I'll be giving those a crack between lessons.

Array

School
    10th Planet London Uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Oldfield View Post

Hy, this is very good to practice at home! As I need one to practice, I have Just a question : aare the joints bending easly ? I mean if from Lockdown you pull him up to practice electric chair or Dog Fighting etc... Is the Dummy's Leg bending or not that much?
    What about the rest of the joints ? Thank you Ninjas

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Schiavone View Post
    Hy, this is very good to practice at home! As I need one to practice, I have Just a question : aare the joints bending easly ? I mean if from Lockdown you pull him up to practice electric chair or Dog Fighting etc... Is the Dummy's Leg bending or not that much?
    What about the rest of the joints ? Thank you Ninjas
    Hello mate,

Sorry for the very late reply on this one, I've only just seen your post!

The joints are as bendy and maneuverable as the materials you choose, the most important one being the tubing on the inside of the plastic. If you find a flexible but stiff wire you can move the dummy into better positions without it flopping out of shape. You might find this stiffness weakens over time though.

I just used a flexible hose for mine which had lasted since I made the dummy with no repairs. I can easily practice transitions like lockdown to dogfight. Obviously you miss the crushing pressure and resistance of a live opponent but it's nice to drill on to get those extra reps in when no-one's around.