Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 50/50 Question

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    @ Scott..."high outside" is the way some Sambo players refer to the position shown in Griffin's image posted above. However they usually refer to it as "high side outside," or "high side outside leg knot." Reilly Bodycomb made this terminology somewhat known within the system when he filmed a seminar at the now defunct 10th Planet Dallas Ft. Worth.
    Just like we refer to the transition as "the reaper" (from your back applying it from butterfly guard, X-guard, and underneath the mount, there are a few differences in the details but they are similar) at our gym, Reilly and his Coach Steve K. refer to it as the high outside, the name is not indigenous to "Sambo" more so its just a gym thing.

Both of them are good people and good friends and are very knowledgeable.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 12-02-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Scott and Reilly went at it and the Freestyle Sambo Nationals a few years back, It would be very interesting to see them go at it again as both of their games have evolved and changed alot over the years and both have similar strengths.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox

@ Griffin...going from the 50/50 to the high outside leg knot would be very unusual and would take a serious number of steps that would be very difficult. If your opponent is really unskilled in the position and they aren't protecting their legs at all, you could potentially make the transition, however, if they are that unskilled, I would think you would want to stay in the 50/50 and submit them from there.
    I'm having the exact opposite problem. The majority of my training partners are much better than I am in the 50/50. I can stall and protect myself but whenever I attempt to escape or attack it turns into a race I typically lose. I do have success with ankle locks and toe holds from the high outside and leg knot and was hoping there was an effective transition.

I just need to drill 50/50 more.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Griffin...I had the exact same problem when i first started 50/50...felt like i was always defending and never had time to attack. I think i still have a long way to go but I have gotten much better at it. I try and keep my legs triangled and never give up the inside heel hook (basic principles). I usually give them my top leg and will even stick it up in their armpit from time to time...this can sometimes keep them occupied thinking they can straight ankle lock me (sell it...grimace...make them think their close)...all the while knowing that as long as I scoot my hips out they will never get it...this keeps them occupied while i attack. I am ok with sliding my botton leg up and down my calf...but never exposing that inside heal...just be aware of the texas cloverleaf submission if you are going to do that. Ohh...and kick their shoulder alot and control their arms to get your triangle back if your lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin Lambert View Post
    The majority of my training partners are much better than I am in the 50/50. I can stall and protect myself but whenever I attempt to escape or attack it turns into a race I typically lose. I just need to drill 50/50 more.
    That is why calling it the 50/50 is a misnomer. As Ryan Hall often says, whomever knows more from that position most often wins, so it can easily be a 60/40 guard, or a 70/30 guard.

@ Chris...I just mentioned that "'high outside' is the way some Sambo players refer to the position shown in Griffin's image posted above."

I have only heard Sambo players use that terminology, namely Reilly Bodycomb, which is why I stated that. Most BJJ guys that I have trained with simply refer to it as a knee reap.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    That is why calling it the 50/50 is a misnomer. As Ryan Hall often says, whomever knows more from that position most often wins, so it can easily be a 60/40 guard, or a 70/30 guard.

@ Chris...I just mentioned that "'high outside' is the way some Sambo players refer to the position shown in Griffin's image posted above."

I have only heard Sambo players use that terminology, namely Reilly Bodycomb, which is why I stated that. Most BJJ guys that I have trained with simply refer to it as a knee reap.
    Yep, no problem I was just clarifying, as much for Scott's benefit as for anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Yep, no problem I was just clarifying, as much for Scott's benefit as for anyone elses.
    Word. Reaper. I can dig it.
    Last edited by Jason Eisner; 12-03-2010 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Scott and Reilly went at it and the Freestyle Sambo Nationals a few years back, It would be very interesting to see them go at it again as both of their games have evolved and changed alot over the years and both have similar strengths.
    Cool. Do you have video of the first match?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Not that I know of but I beat him on points back in the day. I do remember getting a couple of takedowns.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Yockel View Post
    Not that I know of but I beat him on points back in the day. I do remember getting a couple of takedowns.
    I know we didn't video it, not sure if Steve or someone else did though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123