Thread: My trip to HQ

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville

My trip to HQ

This last week I had an amazing traincation; I am humbled by the love and I am honored to still be a part of the 10th planet family going on 10 years now. I got to see so many brothers and sisters I haven’t seen for way too long!

Sat, Sept 5th, I flew into LAX and after a double double animal style from In-N-Out, I made my way to 10th Planet Burbank for class with Jared “Crazy Legs” Carlsten. When I get there I didn’t even realize UFC fighter Alan “Brahma” Jouban was the Muay Thai instructor, lucky guys at that school. Anyway, Jared showed some great techniques, knee slice pass and a Guillotine flyover, invert to mount and finish the guillotine. Got some good rolls. Jared is humble and soft spoken but he is one of the fiercest competitors we have and one of the most knowledgeable, it was a blessing to have spent time learning with him.

Sun, Sept 6th, I drove down to 10th Planet Costa Mesa for Open mat, Coach Casey was an awesome host and it was a shark tank there. 40+ people, all sizes and skill levels. I had 6 great rolls and was exhausted when I left.

Mon, Sept 7th, Morning class with Scott “Einstein” Epstein at 10th Planet West LA, again, great techniques, we went over no hand pass and Capoeira pass and I had a couple good rolls. Scottie breaks down the small details and breaks down what you want to have happen and what will happen when you screw it up. Some people can be rubbed the wrong way by Scott but one should know, If he’s is not sarcastic with you, he probably hates you, If he makes fun of you, consider yourself loved.

Mon, Sept 7th, Evening class back at 10th planet Burbank with Jared, it was Labor Day so I was happy to have the option to train. Great class again. We went over the finer details of The Darce, Marce, Mars and the Anaconda chokes. Jared shared great theory on how all those specific moves are linked together and how you should learn to flow from one to the other effortlessly, he emphasized grabbing the chin as a handle and using the “Baby Cradle” to get your choking arm through to finish as well other details that I took down in my notes.

Tues, Sept 8th, Morning class, Finally back at HQ with Master Eddie, 1st thing we do is a simple warm with Shrimp drill, hip openers, cartwheels and walking on our hands across the mat. Followed by what is one of the big evolutions of our system, something everyone, myself included, need to work to achieve, memorizing the actual flow warm ups, this was my 1st time partaking in an HQ class since Eddie incorporated them into the HQ curriculum, I am a full on believer they hold a very important roll in developing ourselves as both effective and efficient grapplers, it’s science and it makes sense to me, there is only so much time in a class to do what we came to do and the warm ups that Eddie has provided for us incorporate functional movements and reoccurring scenarios we find ourselves in constantly. By memorizing them we cut down on wasted time and can go straight into putting in the numbers. It’s all about the reps.

Tues, Sept 8th, Evening class, back at HQ. Same as the morning warm ups, and then the warm up flow drill. Tech was Homie control; lock the arm, post up/ lock the legs, swim move to perfect spider web. Had a couple good rolls, but by now I am already feeling the effects of 6 sessions in 4 days and loving it.

Wed, Sept 9th, I decided to take a rest in the morning, I wanted to roll out to Van Nuys or West LA for the morning session but I had to listen to my body and I went and got a Thai massage instead. Rest was needed and I made it back in the evening to HQ again, again we warm up with Shrimp, Hip opener, Cartwheels and Handstand walks, followed by the warm up flows. The tech showed was what we now call “Pre-Web”, you’ll see it in the next mastering the system, basically it starts from what would be a no-gi bow and arrow set up, ball and socket control from back control bottom, top guy is hips up pressing into you, you have one foot on the hip and one leg curling controlling the waist, you lock the arm you want to attack and get to choose one of 3 paths based on what the guy you are controlling gives you, RNC, Reverse Triangle or Spider web. I really liked it and I am looking forward to drilling it when I get home. The freak bros were in the house tonight and I had a great roll with Boogieman, he got me in a Jap necktie and a Peruvian necktie during an 8min round, but it was awesome to get to feel that level, I know Boogie is competing in Kakuto in Atlanta coming up soon and I want to wish him the best. You already know freaks don’t sleep, proven once again when I wake up to see boogie had already taught a 6am class Thurs morning, WTF?! They aren’t human….

Thurs, Sept 10th, Morning class at HQ, Again warm ups and then the warm up flows, today was little different because Eddie says one day a week we work on just balance drills, so we did about 30min of switch and rotate, getting set up into different positions and then working live to either get on top or stay on top, no subs, I liked it and it was a great workout.

Thurs, Sept 10th, Evening class at HQ, Again warm ups and then the warm up flows, and more balance drills, I’m so exhausted by now, thankfully although I was fatigued I sustained no injuries, I really tried to take advantage of my time here and be a sponge. I took notes and I will study them. I got to have a ton of rolls with so many different people. Even then I wasn’t fully satisfied, in hindsight I wish I would have spent some time picking Scott Ross’ brain about foot and leg attacks but all in all this was an amazing trip, I know with 100% certainty I am leaving a better Jiu Jitsu player then when I came, mentally and physically.

I still have so much to learn and my journey is nowhere near finished, it will be finished and although I’ve had to deal with my share of off mat time for injuries and family problems, I keep coming back and I’ll keep representing 10thPL4L. I might not be the loudest or brightest in the fam but my loyalty is unwavering and I’ll always spread the word, always happy to show tech to anyone eager to learn.

Since day 1, Eddie has been a great Jiu Jitsu enthusiast, teacher and just a cool dude to hang with. He is open-minded and constantly evolving. I am one of the few that are fortunate to have seen this movement, 10th planet, evolve from the humble 900sq/ft Bomb Squad gym where we had to cover the mirrors every night with mats so we didn’t break them, to the birth of international superstar, Renato Laranja, to now having over 50 locations and growing, to sending guys to ADCC! We’ve lost friends along the way, some from B.S. and some from tragedy, R.I.P. Bryan Drogmund. What I see today, and what I have confirmed this week, is that HQ has grown and become a factory for greatness, we run warms up like it’s boot camp, get in, get reps, put in the numbers, get better. We all have each other’s support and despite being from so many different walks of life we share a common bond. I am proud to be Nibiru Warrior. I am a student for life and will be 10thPL4L. Namaste’ my brothers and sisters.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    What an incredible experience!

I'm very interested in the baby cradle you talk about learning from Jared. I love the chin strap so this would be great to know.

Next year we will visit HQ and find out first hand how awesome it is!! Thank you, this journal is a great read

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Nice, dude. You coming up to ATL for Kakuto? We need a big guy for the expert division!
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Nice, dude. You coming up to ATL for Kakuto? We need a big guy for the expert division!
    Dude, I really want to but my pocket book is experiencing some tightness, and It's not the just entry fee, it's gas to drive 6.5 hrs each way and a hotel and food. I kinda blew my extra cash on the two seminars and the trip back to HQ, need to hack this credit card back down. Sometimes I'm not a fan of being an adult.

Array

School
    New Port Richey JJ/10P Ronin
    Great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Great seeing you buddy!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    That's awesome, man!! I have been to HQ 4 times in a last 2 years and every time it's a blast!! Can't wait to go back in a couple of months!

Was a pleasure meeting you dude ...my brother and I were super inspired by your athleticism and passion for the system. Our journey is just getting started and there is nothing we appreciate more than encouragement from folks like you and Carlsten. Was awesome to see a friendly face at HQ during our first visit. Best wishes and til we meet again

...and holy fuck DAT KAKUTO. Can't wait... the two six man tourneys are EPIC. Two of my sick brown belt coaches from ATT Atlanta vs two of my heroes from the 10P system. One of the most exciting torments I could imagine. Almost wish I hadn't left Atlanta. Best wishes to everybody involved

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill Schwartz View Post
    Great seeing you buddy!
    You too brotha!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jacksonville
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorWolf View Post
    Was a pleasure meeting you dude ...my brother and I were super inspired by your athleticism and passion for the system. Our journey is just getting started and there is nothing we appreciate more than encouragement from folks like you and Carlsten. Was awesome to see a friendly face at HQ during our first visit. Best wishes and til we meet again

...and holy fuck DAT KAKUTO. Can't wait... the two six man tourneys are EPIC. Two of my sick brown belt coaches from ATT Atlanta vs two of my heroes from the 10P system. One of the most exciting torments I could imagine. Almost wish I hadn't left Atlanta. Best wishes to everybody involved
    Thank you man! Dude, you guys are gonna be some beasts, keep it up, I can tell you guys have been studying and your brother is strong as an ox