Array

School
    The Agora BJJ

The story behind each 10th Planet technique name.

I am endlessly fascinated by the study of the origin of words and phrases. Being new to the system, learning the names of 10P techniques and correctly matching them with the given technique has been daunting. I think if I knew the story behind the name of each technique it would greatly help my recall. Plus, when my non 10P friends ask, I'd like to be able to give the correct story behind the names. Ive searched the forum and the web with no luck. Ive gleaned a few explanations from various youtube videos. But I haven't been able to find a resource dedicated to explaining the names given to the 10P techniques, if such a resource exists. So far, the only technique I can explain is The Zombie (It looks like a hand rising from the grave). Could we build a list here? Or can someone point me in the direction where I can find explanations? Thank you.

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Planet X = 10th Planet = Nibiru? I am only guessing here so if I am way off base, feel free to correct my ignorance.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Weed. Lots of weed.
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Weed. Lots of weed.
    I stand corrected. The weed arguement is too strong.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    The way I understand it, each technique is given a name that will immediately make you think of the motion, if you've practiced the technique, but seem obscure to an outsider.

That way, when your coach screams out "drowning wizard!" In a match, your opponent won't be tipped off to what your intentions are.

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    I used to think the "Truck" was named so because you could go anywhere from it, like if you had a 4wd vehicle but learned later it was named after a Production Truck.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baldwin View Post
    I used to think the "Truck" was named so because you could go anywhere from it, like if you had a 4wd vehicle but learned later it was named after a Production Truck.
    Same. Both make sense. In one, you can go wherever you want. In the other, you control the show.

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Here's my take on a few.

Mission Control - where you launch all your Rubber Guard "missions"
    Retard Control - when you have MC and they're freaking out and thrashing around like a Retard
    Crackhead Control - when they're freaking out like a Crackhead and Retard Control isn't enough

Retard and Crackhead Control are used to hang on to the position until they calm down and accept the situation.

Array

School
    Fight Club Masakatsu Izegem
    This is just how i see it.
    5.0 sweep: You're holding his arm behind his back, like a cop would.
    Dogfight: Kinda looks like 2 dogs fighting for a bowl of food or something.
    Eddie gives a good explanation somewhere in mts about the name Homie control. When standing next to each other, it's how you pose with you're homie when taking a picture.
    The "baby arm" armbar is hilarious, and that's just it. It's fun. You're not just learning with your body, you're visualizing the things that these words represent and associating this with moves. It helps you remember faster.
    Visualization, relaxation (the fun, crazy names, the family feeling,...) and music have individually been proven to increase learning ability, even more so combined.

Array

School
    Fight Club Masakatsu Izegem
    Planet X is 10th planet jiu jitsu with the gi, i think. Nibiru is the name of the 10th planet in our solar system, monitoring the rest of the milky way. Super advanced species, they're jiu jitsu would be awesome.