Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    K Madden

Montgomery "GI" Bill?

So I have this sucker burning a whole in my pocket.
    I, truly, cannot think of a better way use it than to train at 10th Planet HQ.

Anyone else out there ever use the GI Bill for something rather than the typical BS State school? I know you can do near anything as long as you get (or try) to get a certification.

Any ideas about this bad boy?

Luckily I have the ability to move and do whatever I want, whenever I want.
    Thanks to a plane accident in the AF, that is. Now I'm a retired 26 y/o with not much else to do but train

Appreciate it, in advance thugs/thugettes!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    HAHAHA you would have a better shot with Voc Rehab through the VA. Getting the VA to certify training for something like Jiu Jitsu is not impossible just highly unlikely. You whould have to show that a certificate (belt) would mean that you could be a Jiu Jitsu instructor. Dont the Gracies have an Instuctor Program of some sorts?

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    Pretty interesting question keep us posted Id like to know if thats possible

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Its not impossible to get a program certified. You just have to make sure all the paper work is squared away and legit. At least appear that way. I am 33 and in a similar situation to you. "Medically retired" from the Army. I would advise against Voc Rehab my understanding of it is that if you do voc rehab you get no gi bill they just pay for shooling and shit. Not 100% on that. FYI if your 100% look into social security also if you have not already.

K Madden

i guess the more pertinent question is to see if the guys at HQ would be willing to work with me on paving the way to do this.
    i'd be glad to do all the BS work, but I know there will be some pain in the ass work required from them too.

Array

School
    10thPlanet Oceanside
    If this is possible Id be all about it especially if I end up getting out after this contract.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Start with the VA and see what you need to do to get a Program of study certified...lot less hoops if you could get them to say its an apprentice type situation. Ive only used 24 months of my GI Bill so I am very interested to see if you can pull this off LOL.

Array

School
    Art of Jiu Jitsu, Costa Mesa,CA
    Hey Kendell,

Sorry to tell you man but unfortunatley you would not be able to use Jiu Jitsu training/programs to be accepted by VA for the Montgomery GI Bill or Post 911 Bill. However, there is a way you can receive tuition money for your monthly cost in jiu jitsu and other expenses.

Here is what you do; lets say you move down to LA to train with Eddie down at HQ. Find a university ( I suggest National University), sign up for classes ( full time is only 2 four hour classes a week!), request the VA to transfer from the Montgomery GI Bill to the Post 911, your classes will be paid for 100% ( a business degree would be great for having your own training center someday). Here is what is great; you will be given a monthly BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) that will vary on locality. LA has a great locality rate. If I had to guess it would be around $1500-$2000 a month. This allowance will be a direct deposit into your bank account. You could easily pay for your training and more. You may not like school but it might be worth it to receive all those benefits, besides it is only two nights/days a week!

The only way you might not be able to use Post 911 is if you MED retirement was before 2003 and if you have used a chunk of your Montgomery GI Bill.

I hope this helps you bro. Thanks for serving and good luck in the future! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Ryan 34 has a great answer. You can make money too if your thrifty off the stipends. I'm using the bill to pay for flight school, which its normally not used for and its only paying 60%.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Also if you use all of your gi bill first then you can get 12 months of the post 911 bill. I cant remember where I read that or was told, I think it could have been the people at the Texas Veterans Commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast