Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    When I travel, I visit a lot of gyms for open mat.

One of the big differences within 10th planet is the ability for a white and blue belt to leg lock. 10th planet doesn't limit your learning.

Every BJJ gym I have been to bans leg locks, except for brown belts and up.
    i found this to be true also, granted when someone decides to try an introductory class or rolls for the first time ive also seen instructors forbid this.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I don't believe any technique is "a fundamental." However, all techniques can be "fundamental." Let me explain myself.

The fundamentals are not specific techniques. They are, rather, ideas. Philosophies. Expressions. Concepts.

The fundamentals are things like Weight Distribution, Timing, Patience, Proper Framing, Maximizing Leverage, etc...

So a technique like the Bridge and Roll escape is taught on Day One, but why is it that only incredible Black Belts seem to be able to pull it off? Because their understanding of the fundamentals of Jiu Jitsu is so deep that they can convey powerful principles with simple techniques.

Those fundamental principles can be expressed through any technique, provided the teacher has a meaningful understanding of the principles. This is why someone like Jean Jacques Machado can look at your technique, even if it's not a technique that he has ever used, and help you to improve it dramatically. His understanding of Jiu Jitsu is so deep that he can turn any technique, no matter how foreign it may be, into Jiu Jitsu. That's powerful.

So, there are no fundamental techniques. There are only fundamental ideas, and these can be expressed through a variety of curriculums.
    This came to fruition for me on Friday night. Thanks again Brandon!
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Thanks, Pat. Hopefully I was able to demonstrate during the seminar what I was talking about here on this thread.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    How about foundation techniques instead of fundamental? I have those old Gracie Fundamental tapes burned on to DVDs and they teach 90% of what you need to be familiar with in order to grasp most advanced techniques. I think it's by drilling these that you gain an understanding of the core principles of grappling. Your body almost subconsciously picks up on things like hip movement, top pressure, distance management. I think it's because the greats put the mat time in drilling the fundamentals that they gained that deep awareness. Most of the great instructors pass that on in a more comprehensive way so we don't have to spend as much time as they did letting our body figuring it out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    We are extra heavy on nogi basics, you can even say ultra heavy
    10thplanetmobile.com the best NoGi fundamentals

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234