Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

My Matches from Check Mate Submission Only 3

Hey guys, back again with more match footage. Yesterday I was part of a 6-man round robin bracket at Check Mate Submission Only 3. (www.checkmatesubmissiononly.com) Its one of my favorite tournament formats and every comp we have a lot of fun.

When I started competing in tournaments my first ones were at 170lb. I then made it down to 155. Last comp I weighed in at 147.8 but was moved into the 165lb bracket. This is my first time truly competing at my proper weight for jiu jitsu. I weighed in at 144lb, well under the 145lb limit.

I want to preface my match footage by saying I was in a Motorcycle accident on Wednesday, only 3 days prior to my matches. I dropped it cornering on some wet leaves and got road rash on my ankle, knee, hip and arm. Although I was advised to sit this one out, I still wanted to see what I could do because I had worked so hard to be ready for competition.

Being said, you can see that I had to modify my entire rubber guard game, i couldn't dogfight or underhook on my strong side, and a lot of my normal game was stifled. I was not able to frame at all in RG because the road rash was on the outside of my arm, exactly where I would be applying the most pressure to post and frame. I honestly just did my best despite my injuries. I am really glad that I did because I got to try and expand my competition game.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    12190157_1682546638698826_431649409_o.jpg
    Heres a pic of the worst of the road rash which was on my arm. Day of accident

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    12176058_1682546625365494_800080647_o.jpg
    Heres a pic of the worst of the road rash which was on my arm. Night after comp

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

In my first match I went for a judo armbar and missed it, but almost came up on top. I was able to use a modified grip to go to a high guard, then to another modified crackhead control, and finally synched up a Dead Orchard to Armbar for the finish. This is my 4th competitions/fight in a row where if I win, at least one of my wins came via Dead Orchard.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    My second match at Check Mate Submission Only 3 was a fun one! I got to play some prison guartch to the back and finish one handed RNC. I trained with Owen Weber and taught at their school just a week ago and this kid is improving every single time. Started as a wrestler I believe and picking up more tricks every time. Hes a bit more fresh but he was game. Wanted to finish with another Dead Orchard but he stayed high and tight forcing me to a Plan B of mine. Since we had 6 matches to win, I decided to really rely on my technique and not my athletic attributes. Took the back and got the RNC from there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    My third match was against Eric Hamilton. We've competed 3 times and every single time he improved. He's a solid wrestler with some pretty nice tricks in the JJ department. Has a long career ahead of him. I had probably 20lb on him and we still had a fun roll. He is younger but trains under legendary pankration coach Dave Sixel.

As the Gracie's say, Keep it playful. And I did my best to have fun in this match instead of trying to go for a kill like I did in the past. I have 2 wins in 28 and 14 seconds against Eric via Marcelotine so this time it was nice to roll and see what his game is like.

Big thanks to Javier Palomo for fixing up my toe holds btw. I went to his butt like I was taught when I first learned leg locks, but after a semi-private discussion recently I was made aware of the proper angle go finish at and it made all the difference in this match! You can see where I did it wrong first, and then fixed it up to the angle I was most recently taught.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Connor Ryan is a teammate of mine who has been improving like a prodigy. It was tough to play my modified rubberguard with him, and I didnt feel like I should be underhooking with my bad arm either. He defended well and has decent awareness. It went the full 7min. Kid never runs out of gas. And apparently I do. That's something I can fix though. I truly feel like when I am 100% I can weather his storm and I have shown to do so in the past with a comp win via Dead Orchard in our last meet.
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 10-26-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

My final prelim match was against the talented Sarah Jacobson. I have been a fan of hers for a while because she is not only talented, but always game... No matter the opponent, size, or weight class. We didn't have a women's bracket this event, but it didn't matter.
    Every time she brings the fight, and was throwing up gogoplatas among other crazy techniques all comp long. Her game is very clean/dangerous and I had to be on point. I went ham sandwich to sweep. And after she perfectly defended the arm triangles I was throwing up, I had to switch to one of my highest percentage finishes in the gym lately, The Armenian Necktie. I didn't time it quite right but I was able to sink into it.
    I'm an even bigger fan after our match today!
    Last edited by stan myaskovskiy; 10-31-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Finals match Vs Connor Ryan. Regulation Time
    Had my chances. Didn't finish. Gassed after 6min. My opponent just never tired. The last 4 min was me timing, relaxing, looking for blast openings and mistakes. 2nd place wasn't bad. But it hurts. And I am really hungry to get it back. Cant wait to heal and go back to the drawing board.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    My first Finals OT match.
    Had energy, moved quick, did what I had to do. Not much to say about this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast