Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC

Is there any reason we don't have 10th Planet "Gracie Garages"?

There are quite a few 10th Planet locations worldwide and that is fantastic. There also appear to be several Hotboxes worldwide.

Personally, I'd love to see a 3rd type of affiliate -something akin to a Gracie Garage where the leader does not teach the techniques. Instead, he/she is merely facilitating the learning of the techniques through the videos. This site would serve as the connector between people who are able to run the "Garage" (for lack of a better word) and those that want to find a Garage. There would be a listing here of all the Garages, along with a video of the location and an on camera statement from the leader about himself and his training background (again, much like the way it is done for a Gracie Garage). You would still have a vetting process where you make sure the leader is legit -you just wouldn't necessarily expect him to be a beast on the tournament circuit since he's not actually teaching the techniques. He is learning them along with the attendees. The most important thing would be for this site to have a clear listing of these locations, along with an easy way for people to connect with the leader of the location. There could even be a place where people share photos or videos of the weekly training sessions.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this -particularly from Chris Herzog.
    Last edited by Ric; 11-06-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I like it. Like a pre-hotbox kind of deal. Gotta start somewhere

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I think to an extent, alot of us ROnins do this to a degree-we don't run hotboxes yet, but we invite friends or other partners who love the system and then drill techniques before or after class. I can see the debate on both sides, on one hand it'd be cool if there were more clear locations or areas where Ronins or other isolated fans could meet to share their love, and eventually move towards a hotbox or moon. But, I can also see the danger of someone either unintentionally being seen as an actual instructor (when they aren't yet in the system) and then either taking advantage of people (think of the fake black belt in upstate NY or the other blue belt in Europe who pretended to be a second degree black) or even just unintentionally giving folks a false sense of confidence.

Wasn't half the point of the map though to show people where other fans were? That's how I found Jon Cheng, and the Harvard Jiu Jitsu club that I help out at now. I know others have found each other similarly as well and are able to now drill system techs. Interested in hearing what others have to say as well

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    There are quite a few 10th Planet locations worldwide and that is fantastic. There also appear to be several Hotboxes worldwide.

Personally, I'd love to see a 3rd type of affiliate -something akin to a Gracie Garage where the leader does not teach the techniques. Instead, he/she is merely facilitating the learning of the techniques through the videos. This site would serve as the connector between people who are able to run the "Garage" (for lack of a better word) and those that want to find a Garage. There would be a listing here of all the Garages, along with a video of the location and an on camera statement from the leader about himself and his training background (again, much like the way it is done for a Gracie Garage). You would still have a vetting process where you make sure the leader is legit -you just wouldn't necessarily expect him to be a beast on the tournament circuit since he's not actually teaching the techniques. He is learning them along with the attendees. The most important thing would be for this site to have a clear listing of these locations, along with an easy way for people to connect with the leader of the location. There could even be a place where people share photos or videos of the weekly training sessions.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this -particularly from Chris Herzog.
    Hotbox=gracie garage

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Hotbox=gracie garage
    Where is the list of Hotboxes? I only see a listing for Moons on this site.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    Hotbox=gracie garage
    This
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Where is the list of Hotboxes? I only see a listing for Moons on this site.
    The list of hotboxes are on the Hotbox Criteria thread. Which is how Eddie wants it.

Array

School
    Oak Cliff Jiu-Jitsu
    You should start a hotbox up, brutha!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by steveramz View Post
    You should start a hotbox up, brutha!
    Honestly, I'd love to but...let me explain.

I have a great mat space in my home where I've actually run a Gracie Garage for the past 6 months. (In addition to the Helio Gracie image I'm required to have, I'm proud to say, a 20" x 30" photo of Eddie hangs on the wall as well.) And while I don't have 5 competition matches on film, it's possible Eddie would waive that requirement since I've been to HQ every summer (with the exception of 2015) since 2010 and I've trained with Marcelo since the day he opened his school in NYC in 2009.

But the problem is, without a clear listing on this site of the Hotboxes, I don't see how anyone would find me. I went through all 16 pages of the current Hotbox thread, and I believe I found mention of 2 Hotboxes. I'm not sure how you'd even go about contacting the people who run those specific hotboxes. Also in the thread, I got the feeling that the Hotbox was sort of a stepping stone towards becoming an affiliate -something I have no interest in at this moment. I'm not even looking to teach 10th Planet. I'm just looking for guys who want to come to my basement and practice the techniques as seen in the MTS videos. So I'm not sure the current Hotbox setup works quite right for me. I may be better with just the periodic posting on this forum about my looking for training partners in NYC/Brooklyn.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Honestly, I'd love to but...let me explain.

I have a great mat space in my home where I've actually run a Gracie Garage for the past 6 months. (In addition to the Helio Gracie image I'm required to have, I'm proud to say, a 20" x 30" photo of Eddie hangs on the wall as well.) And while I don't have 5 competition matches on film, it's possible Eddie would waive that requirement since I've been to HQ every summer (with the exception of 2015) since 2010 and I've trained with Marcelo since the day he opened his school in NYC in 2009.

But the problem is, without a clear listing on this site of the Hotboxes, I don't see how anyone would find me. I went through all 16 pages of the current Hotbox thread, and I believe I found mention of 2 Hotboxes. I'm not sure how you'd even go about contacting the people who run those specific hotboxes. Also in the thread, I got the feeling that the Hotbox was sort of a stepping stone towards becoming an affiliate -something I have no interest in at this moment. I'm not even looking to teach 10th Planet. I'm just looking for guys who want to come to my basement and practice the techniques as seen in the MTS videos. So I'm not sure the current Hotbox setup works quite right for me. I may be better with just the periodic posting on this forum about my looking for training partners in NYC/Brooklyn.
    You are looking at the wrong thread, that someone popped up. Its 10 wins, not 5 matches. And if you are looking at the correct thread its all listed in the first page of the thread. Hotboxes aren't supposed to be advertised, as you are not paying to use the name, its a training group not a school. The primary goal of a hotbox is to work on developing an affiliate/moon, its not necessary to do a hotbox first, but its an option for those that aren't at the appropriate rank/skill level. When you are paying an affiliation fee you get all the benefits of your school being listed on the site under the locations tab. The system is working as intended.

http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/...otbox+criteria
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 11-09-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast