Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!

NASA to announce discovery about alien life tmrw

Article from CNN.com:

"The truth is out there.

NASA is planning to hold a news conference Thursday "to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life."

The Web is abuzz with speculation about what that cryptic phrase might mean.

"Our guess is that this astrobiological discovery will have something to do with water, evolutionary biology, and aquatic bacteria," the Geek Tech bloggers at PCWorld say.

Gaming and fantasy site Kotaku thinks it could mean life-friendly conditions - or even living organisms - have been found on Saturn's moon Rhea.

"There's only one thing this could mean: NASA has aliens. Now let's just hope they're the friendly, ET-kind of visitors, and not the warlike Klingon types," Stephen Losey wrote (tongue-in-cheek) on FederalTimes.com.

Blogger Jason Kottke analyzed the lineup of scientists slated to appear at the press conference and came up with his own conclusion:

"If I had to guess at what NASA is going to reveal on Thursday, I'd say that they've discovered arsenic on Titan and maybe even detected chemical evidence of bacteria utilizing it for photosynthesis (by following the elements). Or something like that."

Leave it to Discover.com's level-headed Phil Plait to throw a wet space blanket on the hype over the possible discover of extraterrestrial life:

"It seems really unlikely; I don't think they would announce it in this way," he writes. "It would've been under tighter wraps, for one thing. It's more likely they've found a new way life can exist and that evidence for these conditions exists on other worlds. But without more info, I won't speculate any farther than that."

Hmfph. Party pooper."

...lets hope this is the real deal! (probably not but one can dream)

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    hmmmm
    honestly, to think we're the only life out there is ignorant.
    maybe they found quatoofs hide out

Array

School
    10Th Planet Jiu Jitsu San Francisco
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLucca View Post
    hmmmm
    honestly, to think we're the only life out there is ignorant.
    maybe they found quatoofs hide out
    True that. And lol at them finding Quatoofs hide out. I am interested in tomorrow's NASA'S news.

I'm curious to hear anything from such a tight lipped agency. Hope its not more of the usual vaugeness that they put out, allude to something and then just go off on some other thing. When they start to run low on funding and can't get new funding they like to dig up one of their many secrets and use it to get attention. Hope the announcement yields some actual info.

will looking forward to that news

“NASA will hold a news conference at 2 pm EST (1900 GMT) on Thursday, December 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.”

Nasa makes announcements like this constantly... they've just found something interesting and are presenting it, discussing how it impacts their searches. Imo the title is misleading.. I highly doubt they're announcing the "discovery" of alien life. But who knows loll

keep me updated someone

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    More than likely, the scenario of "verification" of an element, or condition for life existing on an extra-solar planet of some kind, or moon of Saturn. That's the most probably scenario. The best scneario would be that they have discovered conditions similar to Earth on an extra-solar planet that may support carbon or silicon based life forms. It will be interesting. This and the catacombs under the Giza plateau are the things I'm most interested in at the moment, as well as what the discovery is within the Great Pyramid. Hmmmm. we are living in interesing times.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    tick-tock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast