Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur

My experience competing in the finishers under 155 tournament

I'll start off by saying this was by far the best tournament I have competed in. Zach and JM ran a fantastic show for the competitors but more importantly for fans of fast paced and exciting grappling. I really believe in what those two are doing in Bethlehem and think that this tournament is the start of something huge. I feel very fortunate to have been invited to compete in a tournament that really did feature some of the best talent on the east coast. All of the matches were very exciting except mine...lol

In my first match I was paired up with Thiago Abud. Thiago is a brown belt from Sao Paolo who trains at unity with the Miyaos and Murillo Santana. Thiago is a great grappler and I was really excited for this match. It was kind of surreal fighting a dude that had murillo and miyao in his corner, but I was very confident in my preparation and was ready to go to war. However, that is not what happened. I believe I got schaubed, if that is what we are calling a grappler that runs from engagement. I remember after our second engagement, I thought to myself I'm going to beat this guy and that is when all engagement stopped. Its like he thought the same thing and he just stopped coming in. Every time I came forward he went backwards. He was literally backing up into the crowd and into walls, he was going everywhere except forward. Our match went into the ebi overtime rounds and we both escaped all three times, but he escaped fastest and won. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to drill the ebi deadzones like I needed to due to a broken finger and a torn UCL. So next time I will make this a priority regardless of injuries. My advice to anyone competing in an EBI like event or EBI itsself is to drill the shit out of those positions. Here is the match. If you make it all 15 minutes then you must be trying to sleep.

All I can say is that it was a very odd match. I have had dudes not want to engage but not to that level. In the end, I am not sure exactly how to feel about my performance. I just wish I could have shown what my jiu jitsu is about. However, I know what I need to work on for next time and I will come back better from this experience. Really looking forward to competing again and putting on a show at the next tournament.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    I appreciate you posting this. The live feed got cut, and we missed the entire overtime. I think there's still stuff to take away from this, anyway, and I'd be happy to help you drill deadzones when I'm back from Knoxville.

You made a Unity Brown belt run away from you after 30 seconds of contact, I'd call that a psychological win, if nothing else. Proud of you, win, lose, or draw.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Wherever there are rules, there will be those who look to exploit them. You did great homie. You showed up to fight, that's more than what can be said for the other guy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    You got as Shaubed as can be. Very unfortunate. I'm sorry your guy didn't feel like grappling that day.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    That was extremely frustrating just to watch. I cannot imagine how frustrating it must have been for you.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Thanks for the shout out man, and im sorry he didnt go for it, def have you back again for the next one!

Array

School
    10th Planet Santa Barbara
    All props in the world Matt for not getting to frustrated and allowing him to get position just to engage. After 2 minutes into the match, I was like is this guy really going to do this. Personally, I rather lose then win like that, but to each is own. Will look forward to seeing you compete again.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrell Garcia View Post
    All props in the world Matt for not getting to frustrated and allowing him to get position just to engage. After 2 minutes into the match, I was like is this guy really going to do this. Personally, I rather lose then win like that, but to each is own. Will look forward to seeing you compete again.
    Agree 100% Jarrell
    love watching you matches matt come by GP one of these days!
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    Thanks guys, I've analyzed this match a bunch of times now and I'll be ready next time for anyone trying to stall me out. I hope to get up there and train with you oregon guys again soon Andrew!

Damn I watched this entire event and this was the one match out of both the 155 and 170 bracket that annoyed the fuck out of me. Good job man, and the guy was definitely running from you the whole time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast