Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do any of you guys arm bar from mount? What set ups?

I am having a really hard time arm baring from mount no-gi. I feel like every set up leaves way too much space. I train with some 10th planet guys and I rarely see them even use mount, and I doubt they would arm bar from there. So do you guys have any solid no-gi arm bar set ups or is it just a move you don't use very much?

Also do any episodes of MTS cover this?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Mounted arm bar is one of my best attacks. If you are training with guys who don't use the mount, it's an indication of their lack of expertise in the position, not on the lack of effectiveness.

My suggestion is that you learn and master the basic arm lock from the mount first. This will teach you how to move your body and distribute your weight in the proper way. From there move to Spider Web.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Mounted Armbar is definitely legit. I've been hitting a nice one Andre Galvao showed. When countering my opponents hail mary mount escape, when they try to push my armpits to get space for their legs underneath, I just slide up on to their head and pivot my body into spider web type position but with my shin in their neck.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Mounted arm bar is one of my best attacks. If you are training with guys who don't use the mount, it's an indication of their lack of expertise in the position, not on the lack of effectiveness.

My suggestion is that you learn and master the basic arm lock from the mount first. This will teach you how to move your body and distribute your weight in the proper way. From there move to Spider Web.
    ^There you go.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I think mounted arm bars are one of my best attacks as well. They are definitely one of my most reliable finishes. As for setups, there's quite a few, but I mainly use something like this...

Skydive -> Neck hug -> Hand crawling their elbow up to the Chopping Block -> Cook them here a while -> Slide the knee up high on the side of the trapped arm -> Use my free hand to cup their free arm's tricep and pull it tight to my body -> invert my free leg (S-Mount) -> Various finishes

This setup by Ari Bolden is extremely similar to what I'm describing above.

I also have a lot of success when I am in the Gangsta Lean (or any mounted position with one arm pinned), and they bring their opposite side arm in under your chest to free their hand or block your triangle. I trap that arm with my chest, control their trapped arm with a Twisting Arm Control / Gift Wrap grip into a figure-four grip, move to S-Mount, and finish.

Another option is to secure a neck-hug americana, and if your opponent prevents your unloop you can point their elbow towards the ceiling, and once again slide the knee high, go to S-Mount, unloop, and finish.

Good luck with your arm bars!

Sounds like the problem is I suck at using S-mount, I will definitely look to start learning this

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by tenkati View Post
    Sounds like the problem is I suck at using S-mount, I will definitely look to start learning this
    You should. S mount is great. Mounted armbar or mounted triangle are great from there and keep you on top which is important to me.

Array

School
    TxState Kajukenbo

This is my go to.

Array

School
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    I've been using an s-mount similar to how Roger Gracie used it against Comprido with posting out the leg to add pressure. This has worked great for me.

Tim Gillette | Owner/Instructor
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    www.MorningStarJJ.com
    info@MorningStarJJ.com
    720-917-4014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast