Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    If I am gonna get tapped by white belts my size, while wearing a blue belt, tbh I never want that belt.

as a white belt u should not be able to tap a blue belt that much. Hes not really a blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    as a white belt u should not be able to tap a blue belt that much. Hes not really a blue.
    Matt Hughes subbed Almeida, does that mean Almedia is not a black belt?

Belts are as subjective as the teaching program that awards it, some fighters, like Matt may have amazing grappling skills but not be ranked. All fights, even grappling matches are unpredictable,variable things and arent 100% revealing of the skills and knowledge of the fighters.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I want to win World Jiu Jitsu Championship NoGi as a white belt and get an honorary BJJ black belt from Erik Paulson like Josh Barnett. I figure that's a few months away for me though.

Array

School
    RMNU
    If you roll enough you can eventually catch somebody. Doesnt mean anything about your rank.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    How do white belts become blue belts if they don't tap blue belts. Absolute rubbish that you "dont deserve the belt" if you get tapped by lower belts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    How do white belts become blue belts if they don't tap blue belts. Absolute rubbish that you "dont deserve the belt" if you get tapped by lower belts
    +1

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by JusLove View Post
    Also, not to mention any names but some instructors are really stingy with belts and it will take forever no matter how good you are to get promoted (in some cases, 20 years). I've even heard stories of instructors withholding knowledge from their students. Some instructors may just have really high standards. Some have low standards. So you get some blue belts who should be at least purple belts. IMO, it's not about tapping people out at all, it's about how much knowledge one has. I've tapped out black belts before but it doesn't mean I'm a black belt or I should open my own gym. At the end of the day, you shouldn't worry about belts. Work on making yourself a better grappler, rather than trying to beat people at the gym.
    ^This!!! You have to put your ego in check to progress... When I roll with a white belt, I flow, and let them try to work on something. Otherwise they won't learn... And if I tap them like a Russian ballerina then they're likely to not want to roll with me and think of me as a mat bully. In the gym it is about learning and progression. In competition is where you find out how your "Really" doing, because they are trying 100%, and so are you. Hope that helps, train hard win easy!

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Blankenship View Post
    This kind of color mentality is not what I'm all about. You're both running through the same positions and if he/she is being sucked into your game he/she is probably going to lose. I think a large portion of Jiu Jitsu is just believing you are sovereign. Look at Diego Sanchez' I am sovereign mentality and how long he survived against Marcelo Garcia. And look at how he tried to believe he won anyway after he got tapped with the armbar. What alot of people may fail to realize is that he won a major victory that day in that he hung with the best in the world for about 11 minutes without having a black belt. Shaolin couldn't hang with Marcelo's stuff for longer than a minute 10. And he's about as legit a black belt as they come. Royce once said, A black belt covers about 3 inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest of it.

And I'm not trying to criticize you or your comment harshly here. There's some truth to it. But there's always exceptions to truths. And I have every intention of being that exception all day every day and tap me belts that out rank mine.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofliss View Post
    Blue belts really vary in skill based on schools man. Some schools give blue belts to any one who can demonstrate 40 moves with a compliant partner. At my school (a Rickson affiliate) it usually takes an average of 3 years to get promoted to blue and our average blue belts can tap Royce's purples fairly easily and hang right in there with his newer brown belts...it just really depends.
    ^ Me too! We had a 4.5 hour test for our Blues... I had to demonstrate 90 techniques, then use them against two RESISTING opponents who had a year and a half mat/training time on me! When we were done, I knew I deserved my belt! I am glad to have come from a stingy school! Plus, your true mettle will be found on the mat, not your waist

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast