Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    Relson's place allows his white belts to heel hook?

If a blue belt is rolling with a white belt, should the blue belt just smash the white belt to show his superiority, or can the blue belt try out new techniques he or she is working on and hasn't perfected, which might end up in a bad position? Should a blue belt let a white belt flow a little bit if he's doing a technique right, or should he just jam it immediately in case he gets caught and has to turn in his blue belt because he got tapped by a white belt? Seems to me the idea of having to win every time seems counterproductive to a learning / training environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    ^ Me too! We had a 4.5 hour test for our Blues... I had to demonstrate 90 techniques, then use them against two RESISTING opponents who had a year and a half mat/training time on me! When we were done, I knew I deserved my belt! I am glad to have come from a stingy school! Plus, your true mettle will be found on the mat, not your waist
    here's my perspective on this though, we're you anymore deserving before or after the test? anyone who sees a person roll for even a week, can tell how far advanced in their game they are. that should be the test. I've never seen someone fail a belt test, which tells me that either it's dumb luck that nobody ever fails or that your instructor already knows how good you are and that you're going to pass. so why do the test? this whole 5 hour test seems like a test of cardio, rather than bjj. not trying to start any fights, or say I'm right and you're wrong. just my opinion.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    If a blue belt is rolling with a white belt, should the blue belt just smash the white belt to show his superiority, or can the blue belt try out new techniques he or she is working on and hasn't perfected, which might end up in a bad position? Should a blue belt let a white belt flow a little bit if he's doing a technique right, or should he just jam it immediately in case he gets caught and has to turn in his blue belt because he got tapped by a white belt? Seems to me the idea of having to win every time seems counterproductive to a learning / training environment.
    Yeah!!! Real Shit!!!

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    I experienced this tuesday night. I rolled with a guy that had 4 years grappling experience but just got back in the game after a layoff. Our first class he absolutely smashed me. This past wednesday he let me work on the few techniques I had and let me flow. He worked on his escapes as I tried to tap him. He got to work on his sweeps and escapes on a much bigger guy and I got to get some flow in instead of getting tapped in 30 seconds. I like rolling with him. We have younger guys in the class and since we're all whites they are more interested in getting the tap than flowing...but we're all getting better with that

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsloewen View Post
    Matt Hughes subbed Almeida, does that mean Almedia is not a black belt?

Belts are as subjective as the teaching program that awards it, some fighters, like Matt may have amazing grappling skills but not be ranked. All fights, even grappling matches are unpredictable,variable things and arent 100% revealing of the skills and knowledge of the fighters.
    Matt is a Black belt in MFS/MJJ (Miletich Jiu Jitsu is what they were calling thier No-Gi JJ before the current BJJ instuctor from Brazil started teaching Gi BJJ there, I forget his name). Pat is a BJJ Black Belt under Oswaldo Alves.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    I have blue belts that tap Purple Belts with ease and can catch and handle their own with Bro belts. Ive been a purple since 2005...but chose to walk away from the Gi school I was in and do my own thing (I wasnt learning or being pushed AT ALL). So its subjective and it depends on the path you take. I fought with guys in AZ (we had a team together) and they weren't officially ranked in anything...but would smash guys with high level belt ranks...doesnt mean the belt doesnt count, but dont judge a book by its cover "belt" because some guys have way more experience then they show on paper. Belt show what you know and the time you have put in....but there are also fighters who have a shit ton of mat time who arent worried about "belting" or belts..

Dont judge yourself just on what you wear...judge yourself on how you perform and wether you are improving. You have nobody to impress but yourself...

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    Quote Originally Posted by JusLove View Post
    here's my perspective on this though, we're you anymore deserving before or after the test? anyone who sees a person roll for even a week, can tell how far advanced in their game they are. that should be the test. I've never seen someone fail a belt test, which tells me that either it's dumb luck that nobody ever fails or that your instructor already knows how good you are and that you're going to pass. so why do the test? this whole 5 hour test seems like a test of cardio, rather than bjj. not trying to start any fights, or say I'm right and you're wrong. just my opinion.
    Well I look at it like this:
    Before I tested I believed I was at Blue belt level. After I tested, there was no doubting it, I knew I was a Blue belt! Now you may be onto something else too. My instructor loved to preach "If I beat you because my cardio is better than yours, I still beat you" So I am sure he didn't want to be represented by anyone with no cardio. It hurts to see a friend (who you know is a superior fighter) lose because he gasses out... So imagine watching your students lose the same way. That would suck!

Array

School
    Triple Threat Combat Sports / Yamasaki Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    Well I look at it like this:
    Before I tested I believed I was at Blue belt level. After I tested, there was no doubting it, I knew I was a Blue belt! Now you may be onto something else too. My instructor loved to preach "If I beat you because my cardio is better than yours, I still beat you" So I am sure he didn't want to be represented by anyone with no cardio. It hurts to see a friend (who you know is a superior fighter) lose because he gasses out... So imagine watching your students lose the same way. That would suck!
    It does suck to watch a student (you know is awsome) lose because he gasses. I have a very good blue belt (ready for purple soon) who is awsome....his gas is good, but when he goes to compete..he just cant "get up" for it. His nerves get the best of him and he bolos. He just doesnt have the competitive spirit...doesnt like the "tournament scene"...but if those same guys came into our gym, he'd tool them. His problem is his mind...so do I hold him back from moving on because he sux in competition or do I promote him based on what he can do and what he knows?? He has since walked away from JJ because he doesnt like competeing poorly and knowing he cant perform to his potential in a tournament..

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    +1

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast