Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Relson Gracie, Phoenix AZ

White Belts tapping blue belts.

During my last sparring session I went up against a blue belt and proceeded to sub him with a heel hook, an armbar, a kimura, and something I made up when attempting another armbar which caused my training partners arm to be trapped at an odd angle, allowing me to tork his shoulder by applying pressure to his elbow with my knee. I owe this great roll partially to the knowledge gained by viewing the techniques on this site. Thanks again Eddie.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I heard Rener Gracie say that Bluebelts are awarded to those that can effectively defend themselves in a fight.

Is 10th planet ranking more technique/competition based, or is it similar in demonstrating effective defense? It seems like under the Gracie guidelines you could have very minimal offense and as long as your defensive fundamentals are strong you could still rank blue.

I guess I'm asking if there is a completely insane range of blue belts out there?

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Blue belts really vary in skill based on schools man. Some schools give blue belts to any one who can demonstrate 40 moves with a compliant partner. At my school (a Rickson affiliate) it usually takes an average of 3 years to get promoted to blue and our average blue belts can tap Royce's purples fairly easily and hang right in there with his newer brown belts...it just really depends.

belts don't mean too much imo. I'd rather grapple a black belt my size than some blue belt that has 30lbs or more on me.

Also, not to mention any names but some instructors are really stingy with belts and it will take forever no matter how good you are to get promoted (in some cases, 20 years). I've even heard stories of instructors withholding knowledge from their students. Some instructors may just have really high standards. Some have low standards. So you get some blue belts who should be at least purple belts. IMO, it's not about tapping people out at all, it's about how much knowledge one has. I've tapped out black belts before but it doesn't mean I'm a black belt or I should open my own gym. At the end of the day, you shouldn't worry about belts. Work on making yourself a better grappler, rather than trying to beat people at the gym.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Gammel View Post
    I heard Rener Gracie say that Bluebelts are awarded to those that can effectively defend themselves in a fight.

Is 10th planet ranking more technique/competition based, or is it similar in demonstrating effective defense? It seems like under the Gracie guidelines you could have very minimal offense and as long as your defensive fundamentals are strong you could still rank blue.

I guess I'm asking if there is a completely insane range of blue belts out there?
    God...I think I could write a book on the gracie combatives whole thing and how they are trying to change the game with regards to brazillian jiu jitsu. They are really saying crazy things. Unless the "real fight" involves the blue belt candidate drinking half a fifth in a dark bar with chicks screaming and bottles breaking and ice on the floor, I don't want to hear it.

Blue belt is a pretty wide range of skills belt. Most Blues get it at the 1.5-2 year point. But alot of people stay blue belts for 3 ish years. So saying you tap a blue is pretty subjective, and sort of depends on the guy (a good athlete who is of size (185+) and has been a blue for 3 years) is completely different from tapping a guy who just got his blue belt 3 months ago and has barely been to practice since he got promoted.

As mentioned some guys are not going to get a blue for 3+ years. If these guys are training 4 or so days a week under a good instructor, this is more a case of making sure your guys win the blue belt division the same week they get the belt, rather than fully representing what a blue belt is. Also, years back, when there were not as many black belts around to promote, folks stayed blue belt for a long, long time. I knew a guy who wore a blue belt for 6 years.

Array

School
    UFC Gym -- Thomas Kenney
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Blue belt is a pretty wide range of skills belt. Most Blues get it at the 1.5-2 year point. But alot of people stay blue belts for 3 ish years. So saying you tap a blue is pretty subjective, and sort of depends on the guy (a good athlete who is of size (185+) and has been a blue for 3 years) is completely different from tapping a guy who just got his blue belt 3 months ago and has barely been to practice since he got promoted.

As mentioned some guys are not going to get a blue for 3+ years. If these guys are training 4 or so days a week under a good instructor, this is more a case of making sure your guys win the blue belt division the same week they get the belt, rather than fully representing what a blue belt is. Also, years back, when there were not as many black belts around to promote, folks stayed blue belt for a long, long time. I knew a guy who wore a blue belt for 6 years.
    I hear that if you go 3 days a week a year..year and a half is about the average to make blue belt. Purple is muuuuuch longer. I know with my age and availability to train I may never get further than blue. Heck, I haven't even got my first white belt stripe

That is pretty much my experience, but varies from individual to individual, meaning I have never seen a blue belt awarded to a guy who was not a baseline Blue. However, like you said, Blue is a "long" belt, and tends to be the color most folks wear the longest, because I have only heard of a very few, very isolated incidents of people getting purple belts who had shaky skill levels.

Array

School
    fight sport miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofliss View Post
    Blue belts really vary in skill based on schools man. Some schools give blue belts to any one who can demonstrate 40 moves with a compliant partner. At my school (a Rickson affiliate) it usually takes an average of 3 years to get promoted to blue and our average blue belts can tap Royce's purples fairly easily and hang right in there with his newer brown belts...it just really depends.
    thats insame man. rickson is a fucking legend. oneof my bjj heros. much respect bro.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast