Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet MTS

New Rubber Guard path? Reverse Mission Control/Invisible Mission

I haven't seen this anywhere but maybe that's because it's complete shit, or maybe it's already a thing at some 10p schools. Anyway I did have some success with it when every other path I knew wasn't an option. I just started playing with this so it's not at all battle tested, at the very least maybe you'll find this interesting.

Starting point is from a left leg to right arm mission control and in the gi. My opponent was a blue belt who has been in my rubber guard many times. We have comparable strength and size, but he may be around 10-15 lbs heavier.

I had mission control and my opponent was staying tight but not stacking. I was not able to double bag on him to go to invisible crackhead. His left elbow was very tight and blocking my right thigh from getting crackhead for a pump, and I couldn't reach my foot with my left hand to pull it up to crackhead. Also his head was down tight preventing me from reaching across with my left hand and grabbing his left wrist to pull and knee up to over power his arm to get crackhead (croc). The angle was not the best and I couldn't get a good meat hook. I wasn't able to get hindu control or gun show.

So what I ended up doing from mission control was making some space by raising up my left leg a bit so I could slide my left hand in to get a mission control style grip on my left leg on the left side of his head (his right). Trying to be quick from this position I grabbed my right foot with my right hand and pulled it up to crackhead. From that position it gave me power so I could pump my legs and disrupt his frame. After I pumped my legs a few times I could then attempt a reverse zombie with my right hand, but wasn't quite able to get it. I switched to a reverse pump by pumping my legs and pushing his left elbow with my right hand, trapping his left arm deeper. I then switched my grip to a high double bag (right hand to left foot) and pulled my left hand free. From there I could further compress my opponent and go for a dead orchard (pull down right shin with left hand, release right hand double bag and triangle legs) or high guard type armbar.

A few notes from this position. It can put more strain on the left knee if you don't keep your body close to the knee, one way to do this is by "reverse" knee hugging. Also since the hand is trapped, there is no way to stop them from picking you up so you want to be quick here. And I haven't tried using this against a stack, but it seems like it could be effective as you can use both hands to frame them out and keep an angle.

Anyone else been playing with this?
    Last edited by gene k; 01-06-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I think that's the position Ben Eddy calls Gunshow. Or actually, Gunshow might be the left arm on the right side of his head, replacing the mission control arm. You're doing both arms under your leg, one on each side of his head?

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    If I'm not mistaken, from left leg right hand mission control, gun show control is when your left arm would be on the right side of the opponents head. In this reverse mission control only one arm is under the leg, maybe for a moment both hands are under your left leg as you change grips from right hand to your left hand. You then use your free right hand to grab your right leg and pull it up to crackhead. So at this point you should have a reverse mission crackhead position.
    Last edited by gene k; 12-11-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    I've wondered whether that would work Gene.

Seems like it might help you transition to chill dog if you can't double bag (yet, like me). If we're way off base, I would love to hear why.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    so if I understand correctly you are using your left arm on the left side of their head to hook your left leg? I'm pretty sure if I try this against the guys I go against they will all just blast up and everything will come undone. Granted my clinch is weak, and I totally suck, but i'd be worried about maintaining enough leverage to keep them broken down.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Yeah I wonder, it may be possible. I have the flexibility to double bag, but in this case my opponent was too bulky. >

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    I've wondered whether that would work Gene.

Seems like it might help you transition to chill dog if you can't double bag (yet, like me). If we're way off base, I would love to hear why.
    Yeah, I think there is a window where the position is weak (a second or so) until you get reverse crackhead. Then it seems pretty strong and you can reverse pump or reverse zombie. >

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    so if I understand correctly you are using your left arm on the left side of their head to hook your left leg? I'm pretty sure if I try this against the guys I go against they will all just blast up and everything will come undone. Granted my clinch is weak, and I totally suck, but i'd be worried about maintaining enough leverage to keep them broken down.
    Last edited by gene k; 12-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Yeah, I think there is a window where the position is weak (a second or so) until you get reverse crackhead. Then it seems pretty strong and you can reverse pump or reverse zombie.
    Well if that's the case then can't you just go into regular crackhead first and then switch arms? Or you do this in cases where you cannot get into crackhead for flexibility reasons?

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Well if that's the case then can't you just go into regular crackhead first and then switch arms? Or you do this in cases where you cannot get into crackhead for flexibility reasons?
    In this case I couldn't get traditional crackhead because his left elbow was blocking my right thigh, and I couldn't reach my right foot with my left hand to pull it up. This very well could be due to the angle (although I don't think this was the case, but what the hell do I know, I'm a blue belt lol). I think he was just a bit bulkier (couldn't double bag) and staying super tight.
    Last edited by gene k; 12-11-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    Yea, this is my favorite way to transition to invisible collar. If a guy has felt your RG before, he's going to have the type of defense you talk about above. He's especially focused on not giving you the room to clear the head for chill dog/invisi. So I go mission control and then put my other forearm on the other side while I'm still in mission control. Now that you have your left forearm in, you can force his head to turn with that left forearm. He now won't be able to cut you off from clearing the head. Replace your left hand with your right for traditional chill dog or if you were already at crackhead then invisible collar. I also will sometimes put that second forearm hold in as a posture control. It provides the same type of posture control as crackhead does if you can't get there.

You can see me doing it here at the start of this vid - https://www.instagram.com/p/pNSIbUQF...shadamoustache

If you don't have his arm zombie'd or have a good bit on his shoulder, you probably want to go crackhead first before switching arms as they can pull their arm/shoulder out at this point. Also it's hard to maintain a zombie'd arm with your left forearm in. Since you aren't hugging your knee with that arm, they can typically find the room to bring their arm back. So you have to watch for them being able to shrug their shoulder out when you switch arms or let go of mission control and are relying just on that hold. Try and get a good bite around their shoulder with your leg and forearm grip to try and reduce their ability to pull their arm out. Also going crackhead will help.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Eddy View Post
    You can see me doing it here at the start of this vid - https://www.instagram.com/p/pNSIbUQF...shadamoustache
    Awesome, that looks really strong. I can't wait to try this! And that choke! Does it have a name? Very cool I'm super excited to try that one, looks like a really easy setup and when they are trying to posture it should create space for you to slide that left arm through to get under the chin. Exciting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast