Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Training at two different places.

I know that most people in the 10th planet system don't like the Gi at all and I get it why. I have spent a lot of time training gi and it can be a very daunting game, but I like to play the Gi game and want to receive my BB in the Gi. The reality of this is I am addicted to Jiu Jitsu as a whole and love everything about it which is taking me in the direction that I want to train both Gi and NoGi. The gym I go to now is a mostly Gi gym and I love training there. The people are awesome and there are no real politics on or off the mat. Its just a come as you are and train as much as you can kind of place. That being said I want to train NoGi at 10th planet as well and I am looking into Costa Mesa right now as we speak, but this raised a question in my mind. How do most people feel about training at two places at the same time?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Completely depends on your gi-school instructor. Some instructors have a very serious problem with that, even to the point of kicking you out. Other guys don't care at all. I'd be very surprised if a 10p instructor had a problem with it, I'd be more worried about your Gi instructor having a problem.

The correct response from your gi instructor would, of course, be "hell yeah, go train at 10p and come back and give us the goods! Let's see if we can expand our game here using techniques you pick up there!"

The reality is often "Don't go train there, you might like it better, or think the instruction is better, and quit coming to my school"

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    if they complain i feel its because they care more about their bottom line than you progress as a student and a person. i train and teach at a Gracie Barra but also train !0th Planet when and where ever i can without complaints. The best schools treat you like family.

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Yeah, I think it's going to be up to the instructor of the school.... each is different.

I own and operate my school and I'm already a Black belt in BJJ. I've been studying Eddie's game since early 2002 because my 2nd BJJ instructor put me on the Half Guard path and then when I moved to San Diego my instructor here was mainly NoGi so I looked to Eddie's game for NoGi Half Guard stuff. I always thought the Rubber Guard stuff would destroy me knees but later learned it's all about hip flexibility.

Now I'm going back and trying to learn the whole 10p system just because... I'm a grappler and love all grappling. If 10th Planet or anyone else has something to offer that's valuable I wanna learn it. Not just for me but for my students.

Everyone is different though.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    10th Planet Costa Mesa is a really great gym that welcomes everyone. There only policy with visitors that I am aware of is that if you train there, you have to be in any pictures taken that day. Another words, no cross train policy but no one hides what they are doing.

The biggest hurdle with what your doing is if you compete, generally your expected to represent your gym. However, the Costa Mesa crew is so cool with guests that they might be cool with you training there regularly and never giving them credit in comp, just being that guy that show up to cross train from the other gym. Thats allot to ask of your coach though, Casey and Ron just happen to be super cool.

Talk to everyone about it. Tell your current instructor you don't want to leave or represent any other gym but want to get some mat time other places. See how that goes and they talk to costa mesa and see how things go.

Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I train at 10th Planet San Diego, as well as ATOS HQ. It's great for the most part, everyone is cool. It just depends on the school and instructor. Like Barncat said, the biggest issue I really have is competitions. I have to choose who to rep for every time. Your gym is your team, and when you have two teams, you can almost feel like you're juggling two girls. Who do you train with tonight? Who are you loyal to when you enter a tournament? Etc. etc. It's very political. Especially if you train at a 10th Planet and you also like training in the Gi. You are basically forced to join two gyms. Barncat gave some solid advice though!

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Oviedo 10th Planet Atlantic Beach
    I rep my team by paying them for their valuable service but during a tournament unless they pay for my tournament or are there to coach me they really don't have the right to be upset. I would rather keep a student at our gym because he finds value in what we teach regardless of him training elsewhere. What I don't like are the guys that train with one team for years then when they get a little press or fame bail on their team to go to what ever team is more popular at the time.

Array

School
    Team Quest Redding
    I've actually never met a 10th Planet instructor who wasn't super cool about cross-training.

Everyone else... they vary.

I feel the same way. You are just wanting to learn a different system, so it is a great idea

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    I can only tell you based on my experience. The gi school frowned upon it and often made snide remarks. I also found that since the gi school held the IBJJF rules close to their heart. This caused me to constantly get my legs attacked when I was back training at 10th Planet because if you are used to your legs not being attacked you put them in wrong positions. The other problem comes with competition. As in what school do you list. After a 10th Planet training camp I had a long talk with my Instructor, Adlai Cleveland, and Nathan Orchard. I eventually decided I couldn't do both anymore. The thing I love about 10th Planet is they are so open to all types of grappling. Don't get me wrong if you have the right schools it could work out very well for you. In my case though I am glad I made the decision I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast