Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Kids and heel hooks

Is she ok? Can somebody give us an EBI update?

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Yeah, I'd love to know too

(But no spoilers, my wife and I only got to the semi-finals before we had to go to bed)

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I hope she's ok too but it looked pretty bad. Need to make sure the coaches and competitors are on the same page when it comes to the rules. More importantly this is why you educate students on leg locks
    The Name is Nick Paul

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I hope she's ok too but it looked pretty bad. Need to make sure the coaches and competitors are on the same page when it comes to the rules. More importantly this is why you educate students on leg locks
    Everyone was on the same page, all wanted heel hooks.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    That's good to know!

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    My Sambo coach teaches leg locks (including heel hooks both regular and inverted) to kids all the time and he's never had one injury in the gym. There's also a thread discussion on this too (Riley and BRuce are in the chain too).

https://www.facebook.com/mike.calimbas

At the end of the day at some point we all need to be ready for it. I'm nervous about leg locks myself when I compete but that makes me tap all the sooner once I see it's 88% locked in or about to. As much as I like the idea of winning the sword saying I beat a high belt, I like having my limbs too.

Overall I think Sophie might have either underestimated the lock Riley had, or she over estimated her flexibility and pain tolerance. You can see her try to reach and break the lock for a full second or two before RIley makes the face of "ummm are u sure you're ok" and then I think she verbally concedes there and then you can see her leg go limp. I met Riley and her Dad at HQ in Aug and I know she's not Rousimar Palhares and she felt bummed about it too after.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Personally I would like to never see heel hooks in kids matches again, regardless what the kids or their coaches agree to. It's just too much risk with very little reward. EBI is such an amazing event, this kind of thing threatens it's reputation. Who cares if kids don't get to go for heelhooks? Does anyone think the matches won't be just as entertaining without them?

No heelhooks for kids.

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Wanting them and being able to intelligently teach your students how to apply and defend them as well as when to know you're done is a completely different thing.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Riley could not have done that heel hook more politely (in a comp) from the footage I've seen. IMO she did zero wrong. Sad for everyone involved specially Riley, as it no doubt put a dampener on the biggest win of her life.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baldwin View Post
    Wanting them and being able to intelligently teach your students how to apply and defend them as well as when to know you're done is a completely different thing.
    Agree. Kids make poor life choices all the time, so I think it's just safer not to let them get in that situation until they're older.

I'd also question the quality of aftercare at the event too - where were the first aiders?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast