Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Submission Hunt 2015 MN 140-149 intermediate

My match from the weekend.

In my mind, I wasnt devasted with how the trip went, even with a loss. Much needed learning experience. This guy won our Bracket. Cobrinha student I believe. I wasn't allowed to knee bar, heel hook, reap, do any slicers, twisters, etc. Got to a lot of leg positions I wanted but wasn't allowed to go for em. Still need work on points systems.

Every single athlete has talents, and downfalls. One of the things that has hindered me the most in my JJ game has been my own mind. Id get anxious, restless, I can't eat. I hardly sleep. I'd find myself unable to relax and focus.

When I played hockey, I had grown up from 2 years old on skates. I knew my worth, and I was confident. If I came prepared, there wasn't a moment of doubt. I was born to do this I felt. I'd played in venues like the United Center and always performed better under pressure.

In Jiu Jitsu, its been the exact opposite.
    I constantly find myself questioning my technique, my worth, and my evolution. When it comes time to pull the trigger.... I don't perform the same as I do at my home gyms.

Today was a bit of a breakthrough day for me. Although I lost, I didn't break myself. My opponents pressure and game never tired me. I walked into my match with the mindset that I was just rolling with a new guy at the gym. I was able to open up, and have some fun in there. I have a long way to go, but I'm evolving. Expect great things in 2016.

Array

School
    10th Planet Altoona
    Do you know who won the Absolute open weight?

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Good stuff homie!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion Shehan View Post
    Do you know who won the Absolute open weight?
    Not sure sorry bud.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Yelverton View Post
    Good stuff homie!
    Thanks for the support! 10p4l

Array

School
    Morning Star Jiu Jitsu - Denver
    NOGI Open weight was won by a GFTeam brown belt from Ohio

Sounds like a pretty rational reaction brother. I've had a pretty damn similar experience on my journey so far as well. The only difference was basketball instead of hockey. In high school and college I thrived when the lights were on in the arena, in front of hundreds of people. All conference, averaging double doubles, dunking on guys heads and playing with unrelenting confidence. I tried my first Naga this summer and it was amazing how those exact same symptoms you just explained happened. I think I overcame that somewhat my last match but for sure that's a legit phenomena with some of us. At the same time I think you have to realize what an intense and dynamic experience a competitive grappling match is. And I'm really quite new to this and don't claim to know much at all, and am always hesitant as a white belt to offer advise, but I think also I do have some legit interpretations of the thing. I would say though with certainty that your reaction to your match is quite objective and rational though, and that you will be successful at anything when you approach it from that mentality. Keep grinding man.