Array

School
    Ronin / MMA Institute

My First Competiton Highlights / Questions :

I competed in my first ever competition over the weekend. It was a US Grappling sub only, no time limit event, & I competed at 188-202 weight class. I ended up getting the silver medal in an 8 man tournament bracket. I live in Virginia where there is no 10th Planet, so I basically have to go by the DVDs & MTS for my training. I also go to gym here in Virginia called the MMA Institute, but it's a very traditionalist gym & they don't care too much for the 10P system like I do, so I was really trying to make a statement to them that the 10th Planet system works, & show them why I believe in it. The video of my highlights is below.

The first match lasted just over 9 minutes where I (attempted) to use a few tenth planet techniques, including rubber guard, lockdown, & meat hook triangle. I edited the 9 minutes down to 4 to just show some of the best spots. I had trouble with getting the Electric Chair from lockdown, the guy was sprawling 100% on my attempts, & him & his team was very hip to the system. I ended the first match with a straight ankle lock, & my second match lasted only 9 seconds, & I finished that one with a guillotine. I had the fasted finish for the entire event. I ended up losing to a very game opponent in the finals by a north south choke variation. Basically gassed out & he locked in the choke. I was the only guy from what I saw that was rocking a 10p rash guard at the event, so I really wanted to represent.

I would love if you guys would watch the video, & let me know my mistakes I made & give me any advice. After viewing the footage I saw a ton of mistakes I made especially from lockdown position. I really appreciate you guys feedback. I am a white belt, & have only been training for just over 6 months now, so don't beat me up too much guys. Still learning.

Last edited by P.O.R Stunts; 12-15-2015 at 10:07 PM.

I think its cool that you want it so bad! As far as your lockdown, it looks like you could focus on the whip up and whip down. Then look at the different paths like old school, electric chair, or go the rest of the way under for stoner control then vaporizer sub. Also being able to go the other way with dog fight can be a good option to regain top control. Obviously flexibility is key to better rubber guard and squeeze those knees on him. I think also when you transitioned from key lock/Americana to the armbar get that deep hook first and keep it tight to your chest that way you won't lose it like that when you roll/fall for it. Just my observations. Hope I helped!
    Last edited by Humanfit; 12-16-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Array

School
    Killer Bee Training Center
    I was reffing at that tourney and you were def not the only 10P Ronin. Got to keep an eye out for the patches Glad to see you out there repping the system. US Grappling has great tournaments and they frequent VA Beach and Richmond quite a bit. You should travel down to NC as well they have a lot of tourneys there as well. Keep it up homie.

Array

School
    Ronin / MMA Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanfit View Post
    I think its cool that you want it so bad! As far as your lockdown, it looks like you could focus on the whip up and whip down. Then look at the different paths like old school, electric chair, or go the rest of the way under for stoner control then vaporizer sub. Also being able to go the other way with dog fight can be a good option to regain top control. Obviously flexibility is key to better rubber guard and squeeze those knees on him. I think also when you transitioned from key lock/Americana to the armbar get that deep hook first and keep it tight to your chest that way you won't lose it like that when you roll/fall for it. Just my observations. Hope I helped!

I will deff be implicating the dog fight series along with the stomps into my game a lot more from now on. I was very jittery going into it so I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been, but being my first time I feel I did some stuff ok. I was really overjealous on a lot of things & need to take my time & calm my nerves next time. I tried to whip up a few times, but the guy really had a good sprawl, would have been a good time to try dog fight or stomps upon viewing now. Going to work on tightening that arm bar I attempted as well. Thanks for the tips!

Array

School
    Ronin / MMA Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by P.O.R Stunts View Post
    Sounds like I need to be more observant next time, haha. I was actually thinking about doing the NC competition as well. Do the NC ones generally have a good turn out? I have a very sub only heavy game, & prefer attacking from my back more than top. I'm going to train specifically for points competitions these next few months & enter the one in March hopefully.
    Sounds like I need to be more observant next time, haha. I was actually thinking about doing the NC competition as well. Do the NC ones generally have a good turn out? I have a very sub only heavy game, & prefer attacking from my back more than top. I'm going to train specifically for points competitions these next few months & enter the one in March hopefully.

Array

School
    Fusion MMA Elgin IL, Pedro Sauer affiliate
    Great job man, keep it up. Some good stuff especially for only 6 mos trainin.