Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Stan Myaskovskiy Ballrom Brawl 2 footage

Hey guys. Took a fight on 4 hour notice after a day of stacking wood when 3 guys were no shows on an MMA card.

Came in and just didnt compete well. I still struggle with nerves. The guy also just held in for dear life and it was hard to play any JJ.

I definitely need to work on grappling against the cage. Been doing some wrestling but we only just got a cage this month at our gym.

I didn't feel sharp. But I hit a hail mary mount escape to a straight ankle lock with only 15-20 seconds to go.

The ref stopped our fight at the 10 second warning. My corner screamed at me to keep ripping his leg off, but I had to listen to the referree. So... I lost on points. I also need to learn the points system better. It's not the first time its screwed me. I go for the finish. And this time I wasn't rewarded.

Wasn't my best match by any means.. I froze a bit.. And I wasn't even going to post at first, but I hope some of my 10p family can point to things to work on and improve.

Array

School
    80/20 BJJ
    Dude, if that was you competing with nerves you must be a killer when you are on point. Great job for competing in spite of the nerves.

You might have lost that match pretty much because you didn't get both hooks in from back mount from 0:59 to 1:40. Based on the IBJJF points system you don't get any till you have both hooks in. This is not to say that I didn't like what you were doing in going for the finish. when you were on his back for the time above you might have also tried a transition to the truck (again depending on ruleset and what you can finish with).

Your defense while he was on your back was really good and the Hail Mary escape was awesome. If the heelhook was allowed I would have gone straight to that since I feel it is more high percentage than the ankle lock (for me anyway). However, if I wanted to finish the ankle lock I would have tried to go belly down instead of finish side on. Also, a small adjustment but having the elbows back while finishing the straight ankle lock (so their foot twists like a toehold) can make a big difference in finishing it.

I hope that was helpful

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Parker View Post
    Dude, if that was you competing with nerves you must be a killer when you are on point. Great job for competing in spite of the nerves.

You might have lost that match pretty much because you didn't get both hooks in from back mount from 0:59 to 1:40. Based on the IBJJF points system you don't get any till you have both hooks in. This is not to say that I didn't like what you were doing in going for the finish. when you were on his back for the time above you might have also tried a transition to the truck (again depending on ruleset and what you can finish with).

Your defense while he was on your back was really good and the Hail Mary escape was awesome. If the heelhook was allowed I would have gone straight to that since I feel it is more high percentage than the ankle lock (for me anyway). However, if I wanted to finish the ankle lock I would have tried to go belly down instead of finish side on. Also, a small adjustment but having the elbows back while finishing the straight ankle lock (so their foot twists like a toehold) can make a big difference in finishing it.

I hope that was helpful
    Hey Fabian, thanks for the kind words and support! I have yet to really show what I'm capable of in comp. But I'm finally getting more loose and learning to believe in my game. Some of it just takes time and experience. My last match (also on here in another thread) I opened up a bit more and had some fun.

I didn't know the leg ride wasn't worth any points and it cost me for sure. 90% of the comps I do are Submission Only based. But I am learning points systems finally. Had I known I'd slow it down, get both hooks, get my points, and go back to leg ride/truck for a finish or take the RNC with both hooks. Next time I'll definitely take the back with both hooks.

Thanks for the compliments on my escapes. I love the hail mary to leg locks. The one in warm-ups is higher percentage for me, but this one is pretty cool too if you are flexible.

Heel hooks were not allowed.

Belly down is one I'm working on in the gym but im not yet confident enough in it to add to my arsenal for comp.

I was actually just about to go lower on the leg when the ref stopped me. At one of Herzogs seminars (correct me if I'm wrong) he showed that you start higher on the leg, then move down a bit, and finally if they still don't tap you attack the Achilles tendon with the elbow nicely tucked back as you suggest. From the explanation I recall, if you start already at the bottom but your opponent doesn't tap, then you cannot effectively move back up the leg and attack the calf and lower calf regions. Some people are weaker in different areas. I did my best to upward row, and you can see me try to collapse low, upward row, and reattack his leg at a lower angle when the referee stopped us. Your advice is definitely helpful. Thank you very much! Nice to meet ya