Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    KMA Philippines

Getting to Closed guard when Opponent Knee up and Standing Question

Been doing some contemplation lately about my game. When I think about it, when but scooting (I always sit guard) I have a hard time getting to closed /full guard when my opponent a) Have one knee up and b)When they are standing. When doing RG stuff I usually try to go to closed guard first. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to closed/full guard in those scenarios?

Of course, I could just jump in to certain submissions from butt scooting. Though I just wanna explore right now on getting to closed guard. Work on my going to closed guard, part of my game. Thanks in advance!

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Explore chaining several techniques and transitions together to get there. For example: 1/4 clinch -> mini stomp-> lockdown-> superstomp-> cocoon-> full guard.

That just one example, but there are several chains in the warm ups that will help with this scenario as well.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    KMA Philippines
    Thanks for the insight Pat! Regarding the "chains" in the warm ups. Is there a specific video that you would recommend, that would tackle my inquiry? Sorry, haven't gone through all of the warm ups yet.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Get really good at leg pummeling, shin to shin, etc. So that you can get inside control and use your butterfly guard to reach your closed guard. Learning the quarter clinch and the stomp variations is very important to, it gives you a good defense to the knee slice with a direct path to the half guard as a counter (and the full guard should you continue with the sequence).

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Yes, butterfly sweeps and working inside control. That's what I was going to say.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    KMA Philippines
    Pat, thanks for the resource! Will work on it

Josh & Tori, then I guess the next step that i'll be working on is the butterfly. Looks like when broken down, according to what you've all said that the way to the closed guard is through the butterfly.

How about when an opponent is doing a standing pass, any path advice? Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    More importantly, leg pummeling. A smart player isn't going to give you inside control by just walking into your butterfly guard. Leg pummeling persistently to get your butterfly guard, then extending your butterfly guard to get your full guard. Good luck homie!

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    For standing, maintaining your inside control is still key. Inverting is important too for when they try flying passes. To put things in perspective, most passes require your opponent to establish control of your hip. Your legs are levers to your hip. Your open guard is a means to establish frames to prevent hip control by using your legs to leg pummel and build said frames. Hope this helps!

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Knee up? That's a free single leg X guard sweep man. That's like a gift. Maybe I'm in the minority, but a single leg X sweep is like 3x easier than trying to force something from guard. Single x or deep half. Calf crush. Maybe I'm weird, but I'm not of the belief that you need to force something. Take what they give and make the best of it. They go knee up, single x sweep, deep half to the back or the top, calf crush or 5050. There are options and I don't see why one would want closed guard from that lovely opportunity of knee up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast