Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield

No more heelhooks for minors at EBI

http://www.flograppling.com/video/81...nder-ebi-rules

Eddie Bravo has banned heel hooks for minors competing under EBI rules following an incident at EBI 5 where a competitor suffered a knee injury.

Sofie Lee, 16 years old, was left with an injury to her right knee following a heel hook attack from her opponent Riley Breedlove.

Heated discussion in the grappling community ensued, with many internet commenters claiming that the technique used was too dangerous and as such unsuitable for minors.

Bravo has responded to the controversy by removing heel hooks from minor’s matches under EBI rules.

“For kids, heel hooks were not allowed at EBI. They all wanted it, they’re 14 and I let them have it. They all wanted it, and I decided for them I’ll change the rules.

“All my kids at my school train heel hooks, from day one. We’ve been reaping for 12 years, since day one, and we don’t have a problem with people’s knees getting ripped apart.

“I think it’s a fear of leglocks – it’s like sharks. Everyone thinks you jump in the ocean and Jaws is going to get you, like from the movies. Yeah they are dangerous, but you’re going to be fine out there surfing. And it’s not as dangerous as they appear to be.

null
    “Yeah she (Sofie Lee) did get hurt, she popped her knee. But again, will I allow heelhooks for minors in the future? No, I won’t do that. I did, and it became an issue on the internet and I’m not going to go through that again – we banned heel hooks permanently for minors on EBI.

“[Sofie] is in great spirits – she’s limping around – but you know, that happens in this sport. Whether you’re a kid, or a grown-ass man, you know it’s dangerous. Unfortunately she got hurt.

“But I made a move to ban them – forever, now, because of this issue.”

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    probably the best move. i'd hate to see EBI lose some support over something as silly as this.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    probably the best move. i'd hate to see EBI lose some support over something as silly as this.
    That exactly what I was saying in the other thread and getting smashed by half the forum members for it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I respect Eddie's decision and understand why he made it so. However, I feel like the problem will persist just not in the same manner. Riley and Sophie will probably advance through their careers without a healthy understanding of heel hooks because they were enabled to do so. This solves the problem for EBI, but not the problem for Riley and Sophie. But like I said, I understand why Eddie did it and I think we can all respect that.

Array

School
    Crazy Monkey Norge, Oslo, Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Yelverton View Post
    I respect Eddie's decision and understand why he made it so. However, I feel like the problem will persist just not in the same manner. Riley and Sophie will probably advance through their careers without a healthy understanding of heel hooks because they were enabled to do so. This solves the problem for EBI, but not the problem for Riley and Sophie. But like I said, I understand why Eddie did it and I think we can all respect that.
    It seems like Riley has a pretty good understanding of heel hooks

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Not really. I didn't see any hip drive or good hip orientation, just wrenching the foot. Not trying to be overly critical of Riley, mostly just the conditions of the circumstance. But Eddie made the right move for EBI.

Array

School
    10P Gulf Shores, Atlanta, Atmore
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    That exactly what I was saying in the other thread and getting smashed by half the forum members for it.
    But that conversation needed to flush out. People need to see why things are done. its how we grow.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Powerful internet! We say Eddie doesn't care about people's false impression and hes not conformist, then he conforms due to internet pressure. Kinda funny. I dont blame him, Im sure the internet backlash was severe. I didn't follow any of it other than the thread on this site.

Craig Murray, you were absolutely right, apparently Eddie does care about public perception. Craig argued that it was bad for public perception and not only was he disagreed with, he was unnecessarily insulted.

" . . . I did, and it became an issue on the internet and I’m not going to go through that again."

That says it. Internet pressure.

I could understand a differant reason, because most gyms dont properly teach kids HH & HH defense, and you cant easily verify the kids know what they are doing before comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Yelverton View Post

eddie bans heel hooks for minors = sophie and riley probably advancing through their their careers without a healthy understanding of heel hooks.........

thats a big jump/assumption.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    I guess this info might or might not clear anything up, but my inside source had informed me that this EBI was Sophie's 2nd No Gi event.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast