Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown help

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    If the posture up and take their weigh off you. I say ffff it and escape and get to your feet and wrestle, and win the the take down and pass guard and go too offense from the top....see if he has any bottom game ?
    My real name is Bob Ritter and that is Mighty Mouse with me.

had a similar issue with a buddy that is just big (longer limbs) and strong (he is a beast).
    Studying the 100% sweep changed everything - he will not even try it anymore because he knows he will be sweep... 100%

Array

School
    Family Fight Team Petrovaradin (Luta Livre)
    What do you guys to to counter the forearms in the face stalling from lockdown? I know that this is a part of the game, and you have to deal with it, but I just want to see what you guys like to do when someone just puts his forearm in your face, and doesn't let you get off any offense. I had this happen to me at a competition on saturday, I swept him in the end, but it took a lot out of me and I felt I was losing more energy than needed.

Hi Dusan,
    If it is the arm on the "free side" (not locked down), I have had some success with using the whip up to cause them to post their hands out. That normally can give me the time needed to get the deep under hook and start the sweep. If it is the locked side, I can usually push the elbow to the free side and take the back via the old school system (dog fight, old school sweeps, etc.)

Array

School
    Hey Rick, thanks a lot of the quick response

Sounds good, I'll play arround with those 2 options. But are these only available when you have the underrhook? I pulled guard and since he knows I play lockdown a lot in competition, he was really 100% focused on closing his underhook and putting the "free side" forearm in my neck to prevent me from establishing any kind of offense. My underhook was like, wrist deep. I found it really hard to move at first but after picking up the pace and threatening with standing up, he finally tried to guillotine me and got swept with the electric chair, but I felt really shut down at first and would like to prevent things like this in the future, especially because I have had a lot of success with the lockdown in the past.

The old school system actually assumes you don't have the underhook - so it is a perfect solution for what you are describing.
    Actually, the old school system will prepare you for his reactions too.
    If he is using his free side, then you can shove the arm (with a little help from a quick hip bump) and get out to take the back. He will likely whizzer you and then you will go to dog fight. Once you have the back take/dog fight on one side and electric/stoner series on the other... it gets deadly. Let me know if that does or does not make sense. Trying to be brief but don't want to leave you hanging.

Array

School
    Everything makes perfect sense. I love playing dogfight/electric underhooks, it's probably my highest % sweeping option.

Are there any MTS episodes where Eddie talks about this?

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Not a bother, we are all on here trying to learn and evolve; glad to help.

He does talk about old school sweep in MTS 10, 2:54 time mark but I could not find a reference to a clean back take. I think that is because the most basic defense is a whizzer so you have to go to dog fight before you can take the back. However, if the person is just driving their elbow into your throat and stalling, then he or she likely does not have a strong half guard game and you might be able to go straight to the back. think, if they don't put the whizzer in for dog fight - straight to the back. I did not see this in MTS but it is probably on there somewhere.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusan Spica View Post
    What do you guys to to counter the forearms in the face stalling from lockdown? I know that this is a part of the game, and you have to deal with it, but I just want to see what you guys like to do when someone just puts his forearm in your face, and doesn't let you get off any offense. I had this happen to me at a competition on saturday, I swept him in the end, but it took a lot out of me and I felt I was losing more energy than needed.
    Remember that the first time someone does something you dont expect in a tournament, it's going to sap more energy and concern you a lot more than if it's something you've been through before. Next time it happens, even without the strategy tips you're getting in this thread, you'll be more comfortable in the position and that alone will help you out.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thPlanet Leo View Post
    I'm a white belt in a school that does not train 10th planet but I found myself using 10p techniques naturally (although totally wrong and sloppy the idea was there) after little while studying videos and the Books I am coming along well and using a lot of the stuff on my opponents my issue is when I use the lockdown some people despite me having the double underhooks reach down hug both legs and escape leaving me totally screwed.

What are my options here? Aside from going to the Whip Up faster? Assume it's failed and my legs have been grabed what's the plan B? (not THE Plan B haha) thanks!!
    Hey, I thought I would weigh in too. Lockdown was my project as soon as I put my white belt on and I've been working on it for two years now. That's not much, but I know what you're going through.

Some problems to be on the lookout for:
    1) If you're learning lockdown from Submissions 101, you're learning old school stuff. It's not totally invalid: the old school whip saves my butt sometimes when I get flattened out by somebody huge and strong. But you need to know the new stuff. So echo that $5 membership: it's worth the money.
    2) If nobody else at your school is playing lockdown, I think you'll find that as you master new techniques, your opponents will learn how to shut them down. For me, I've found that oftentimes there is another technique you need to know to counter their action. As you learn all your options, your opponent will have a harder time getting you into a position that they can stall you out in.
    3) I've found that a lot of decent technique isn't going to work if your muscles are weak. For me, shrimping is a good example. At first, I couldn't shrimp to save my life because my core strength was so poor. Some of your techniques will work a lot better later after you've practiced the crap out of them.
    4) In my opinion (and I hope someone more skilled will correct me if I'm wrong), a lockdown that is applied too low hurts more but isn't as good for movement. You want to be able to force their knee to bend. If your outside leg is slicing their calf, it'll be harder for you to move them and they're going to be fighting you really hard to make the pain stop.

My two cents.

~JJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast