Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Part of it is being resourceful too. The only thing that I've literally been YELLED at about is going for the twister. I've been chewed out for doing calf-cranks too, particularly at IBJJF-compliant schools (i.e. schools that only let you do moves legal by ranks). Does that mean I'm gonna stop going to the truck? HEEEEELLLLLL NO. What's beautiful is that banana splits and crotch rippers are IBJJF legal at white belt, so I've been using the opportunities where I don't train at a 10th planet school to refine the hell out of that attack. Coupled with the option of transitioning to the back, I've been having some good success.

Unless they straight up chew you out and BAN you from doing a move, do it every god damn time. By the sound of it too, it doesn't seem like it's your instructor that has a problem, but some other student. To quote Ricky Bobby, "with all do respect and I DO mean with all due respect," screw that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by sean applegate View Post
    The electric chair can injure the knee if you aren't careful. Just pay attention to what you are doing for the sake of yourself and your training partners.
    100% agree. Work it like any submission, in essence making it where you can catch it without being super explosive and risking injury. This is the path to mastery.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 01-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Thankfully I still haven't encountered any trouble. My guess is that your training partner was a little upset that a white belt got him in a move that he doesn't like. So that said, I would just work my 10th planet moves on other white belts who don't have delicate egos. That might help keep the peace. And if your instructor doesn't like it, you can always invite guys to your place to train.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I guess I am fortunate in that I have not dealt with any direct hate or negativity with any of the gyms I have bounced around to around here. I never hide the fact that I am 10th Planet and don't alter my game based on what others might think. But along the lines of what Arman said, it's hard to argue if you electric chair sweep everybody.

What I typically get is instructors that will just show how they would defeat everything. I take it with a grain of salt and keep doing my thing. More motivation to get my own team together.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    100% agree. Work it like any submission, in essence making it where you can catch it without being super explosive and risking injury. This is the path to mastery.
    Usually what I do is if I see them over-resist on the chair or sweep I'll do it in a smooth controlled motion to minimize pressure on the knee (same with the truck, depending on the position of the leg lace and the pressure you exert it can become a knee bar like sub too). When I'm caught in the electric chair I tend to go with the sweep, I know for sure people in the past have popped or popped knees before on the chair.

What I typically get is instructors that will just show how they would defeat everything. I take it with a grain of salt and keep doing my thing. More motivation to get my own team together.
    Pat I think I know where you're referencing (no names, as he treated us well and I had a good time there while it lasted). On one hand you admire them for wanting to figure out how to defend it (just like when a student asks how to get out of a leg triangle or armbar) but on the other hand sometimes you wish they would be open minded to the system and then any defense they did concoct you could take more seriously.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I train at the Gracie school in the mornings and have no issues using 10P techniques at all. I get asked to demonstrate lockdown and RG techniques all the time. Head instructor is a black belt under Royler and his favorite way to finish omoplata is the Hazelett(although he doesn't call it that). Only submission I am not allowed to do is the heel hook, but they are not against the heel hook at all. Head instructor trained sambo for 8 years and heel hook is one of his strongest subs. They just do not do them. Other than that they welcome any techniques and anyone from any association.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    I guess I am fortunate in that I have not dealt with any direct hate or negativity with any of the gyms I have bounced around to around here. I never hide the fact that I am 10th Planet and don't alter my game based on what others might think. But along the lines of what Arman said, it's hard to argue if you electric chair sweep everybody.

It's weird how fast it breaks down into that fake kung fu style stuff with some instructors. "See man I would just tiger-paw your neck right there!" "Oh yeah Bro, but that leaves you open for my Death Knuckle right under your Rib, there see son!"

There are counters to everything, and nothing works all the time. But lots of instructors who know none of the system want to talk about how easy it is to defeat forget all that shit and start talking like it's a waste of time to train it cause none of it works.

Array

School
    New Port Richey Jiu Jitsu Academy
    My instructor is awesome. Always encouraging learning from anywhere, and everywhere. Just went to the seminar that Geo Martinez put on in Titusville Florida, where my instructor also participated and was my partner. He is about as old school as it gets in term of when he got his black belt, but has never hindered his students or himself in exploring every corner of Jiu Jitsu. I mean, thats what it ultimately comes down to, its all jiu jitsu. How can you hate on that? Whats awesome about this art is that everyone puts there personality into it on the mat, as distinctive as a fingerprint. I use several 10th planet techniques and have been watching and applying MTS as well as what is considered "Old school" techniques. Gi, Nogi, old, new, whatever, its all jiu jitsu and I cannot see a good reason to limit oneself in any of it when it comes to exploring the art.
    Last edited by Kurt McCathron; 01-06-2016 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling.

Mojoplata

Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Does that mean I'm gonna stop going to the truck? HEEEEELLLLLL NO. What's beautiful is that banana splits and crotch rippers are IBJJF legal at white belt, so I've been using the opportunities where I don't train at a 10th planet school to refine the hell out of that attack.
    The arm bar, kimura, and americana are all legal from truck too

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    We have a guy that has destroyed multiple knees with lockdown. It's kinda both ways. The damage comes with a powerful whip and the top dude being stubborn. At the end of the day it his job to recognize the structural threat, and concede the sweep. The pop usually comes when they are pushing up, and back in to fight the sweep. I'm really careful when I have a motivated momo on Wednesday rolling like it's the Adcc trials. If he will let you break his leg instead of lose a sweep, you can forget about tapping. Shows you what you're dealing with. An upper belt should def call dude out.

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge Bunimovich View Post
    I train at the Gracie school in the mornings and have no issues using 10P techniques at all. I get asked to demonstrate lockdown and RG techniques all the time. Head instructor is a black belt under Royler and his favorite way to finish omoplata is the Hazelett(although he doesn't call it that). Only submission I am not allowed to do is the heel hook, but they are not against the heel hook at all. Head instructor trained sambo for 8 years and heel hook is one of his strongest subs. They just do not do them. Other than that they welcome any techniques and anyone from any association.
    Yeah, JW seems like a good dude, but he has been guilty of some jiujistu politicking too.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast