Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Side Control Hell

The majority of my time against equally skilled or better opponents is spent in side control. I can rarely escape. I'm 5'7" 160lbs. Can anyone recommend something that works well? Jail Break? I train gi and no-gi. Thanks!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I apologize for the vague answer, but framing. Never let his weight settle on your torso and never let him grab your head. Then don't let him inside your humorous and your rib. If he does get this, learn simple, powerful ways to get it back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    I apologize for the vague answer, but framing. Never let his weight settle on your torso and never let him grab your head. Then don't let him inside your humorous and your rib. If he does get this, learn simple, powerful ways to get it back.
    This framing concept helped me lot coupled with the concept of not allowing the opponent to connect their hands together. There is an MGinaction Discussion clip where Marcelo shows various ways to establish a frame and prevent the opponents from connecting their hands and discusses how to use these two basic concepts together.

Array

School
    Tenth Planet Decatur
    Hey man go on Facebook and friend Brandon mccaghren. We do daily live technique videos on Facebook. Atleast once a week he does a question and answer video on Facebook and he will answer any questions you may have. I may be bias but he is one of the best instructors ever.

1/2 guard recovery is my shit... but if I can't get back to 1/4, lockdown or sneak in my hook for judo twister, I like to experiment with Granby rolls lately. At the very least it leads to some interesting scrambles. Most of my favorite jiu jitsu and MMA fights have lots of scrambles. Not a big fan of that Josh Barnett smash you through the mat shit. (cough cough my brother Bryan lol) All the more reason to get out of there.

Some good shit in Warm Ups A specifically A2 the bump and run. Warm Ups A - Granbys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K87AUrlmSBE

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I think that your escape options are really going to depend on what kind of side control your opponent has you in. You options from modified side mount (Twister Side Control as shown in the newest MTS) are much different than those available to you when your opponent is in traditional side control, whether the knees are tucked in against your body or not, and judo side control.

As a principle, as Bobby said, get a nice frame in on his hip and neck, or try to use heisman-style grips on their bicep when they try to cross face and on their tricep when they go over your head / turn to Twister Side.

If you want some links to good side control escape videos, or a much more detailed breakdown of escapes that work...hit me up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Skaff View Post
    Hey man go on Facebook and friend Brandon mccaghren. We do daily live technique videos on Facebook. Atleast once a week he does a question and answer video on Facebook and he will answer any questions you may have. I may be bias but he is one of the best instructors ever.
    Brandon's breakdown of framing concepts has been changing my life in bottom positions.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    Head position theory, and spine alignment theory. Lots of good technique to accomplish side control escape from the bottom.you got to chain them together.
    My real name is Bob Ritter and that is Mighty Mouse with me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Frames ftw. Frame then proper timed hip movement. I have excellent success with the Marcelo Heisman variations that Eddie incorporated into the system. Bottom side control has become one of my better positions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast