Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Training Log/Journal Help

Does anyone keep a training log or journal that is dedicated specifically for jiu jitsu?

I want to keep one to track progress, but I'm not sure how to go about setting up the structure of it. So far it's just random notes on what was drilled for the day and what worked during rolling. Is there anything else I should be keeping track of?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ > 10th Planet Springfield > Rickson Gracie BJJ
    http://jiujitsumag.com/keeping-a-jiu-jitsu-journal/

Chris Bettis at 10th Planet Springfield/Superhero JJ is a religious Jits Journaler. He may have some pointers for you as well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    I try to consistently keep a training journal but fall in and out of it sometimes. Mine is not very structured though and sounds to be in line with what you are already doing. If I have the time and forethought before practice, I will set goals to work on during rolling that day.

One thing I am always working on is including the correct amount of detail for technique entries. I always try to error on the side of too much detail. Too many times I have assumed I would remember things that I didn't write down and then struggle through figuring out the technique at a later date.

I also add notes for techniques I want to incorporate from watching MTS or various other video sources. The act of writing it helps me commit it to memory and the notebook is always in my gym bag to refer to even when it's not convenient to find the video on my phone.

I know that some people like Herb prefer to video record everything so they can watch it back and pick up all of the details. While that offers the most detail, I personally don't have the time or commitment to watch that much video, so the notes work best for me.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    My g/f has an elaborate journal. Both by-technique and by class. She can tell you how many classes she's taken, who taught each one, who she partnered with, what they worked on, and how she felt... and each class entry then cross-references her technique list where she breaks down every technique she's learned into the individual steps.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    My g/f has an elaborate journal. Both by-technique and by class. She can tell you how many classes she's taken, who taught each one, who she partnered with, what they worked on, and how she felt... and each class entry then cross-references her technique list where she breaks down every technique she's learned into the individual steps.
    The nerdy engineer in me loves this. I should expect this kind of detail and organization from myself.

Any chance of sharing a snapshot of a page?
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    The nerdy engineer in me loves this. I should expect this kind of detail and organization from myself.

Any chance of sharing a snapshot of a page?

If anyone is willing to share a snapshot of their journal that would awesome.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    This is her technique section. Each technique goes into it and then she adds notes as she improves the technique
    2016-01-11_17-01-02_512.jpg
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 01-11-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    This is the by-class section.

2016-01-11_17-01-02_512.jpg
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 01-11-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Always

Frank Barca (Grank)
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    Affilliate Moon Downunder
    190B Sussex Street, Coburg
    Victoria Australia
    www.10thplanet.com.au
    frank@10thplanet.com.au

This is awesome! I'm doing this from day one. I'm glad this thread got started so I can see how other people go about doing this.

I've just written about my classes, movements I had trouble with, people I met and rolled with, what I think I should drill in the following week, when my clinch or squeeze broke down while rolling (when I roll I focus on clinching and escaping because well, white belt), and what strains I had before and after class.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast