Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Edmonds
    Currently it's very difficult for me as I'm working the 1-10pm shift all this month and my gym hours are 4-9pm. My last job was 8-4 so that was perfect for my BJJ career. I currently get together with some guys on Sundays though and roll for 4+ hours since I can't make it to my gym at the moment.

Array

School
    No Coast BJJ
    It's cool to hear all of the dedication. Do any of you have AM training?

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    when you figure it out, let me know bro

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    I've been fortunate enough in the tech support field (and in terms of networking) to have several gyms where I have a good relationship with to be able to come in to train. Most of the time I train anywhere from 7pm to as late as 10pm (although recently on avg my last roll where will be by 9:30pm ET).

On weekends generally Sat is my rest day unless there's a seminar or camp I'm attending, and then Sun I try to put in a couple hours. There will be some weeks where I may only get out twice or three times, and then other weeks depending on my training partners and schedule I may be able to get in 6 days of mat time (mind you I'm not going 100% every night otherwise I'd completely break down).

I find honestly the quote is true is that it comes down to prioritization of things, and time budgeting (I know some folks call it time management, but in reality time isn't something you manage cause you can't control it, the only thing you can control is what you do with your time). Obv there'll always be spikes in terms of job, family, dating/marriage partners, and life. But I find I run a good balance of them, and I think each person needs to really figure out what works for them.

Hope that helps...

Mojoplata

Work and training is tough. I work 830-5 Sunday thru Thursday and then drive an hour to my gym afterwards, get done training at 9, drive an hour home, then sleep everyday. I leave Friday and Saturday completely open, but usually end up training still. I have no social life outside BJJ/MMA

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon/Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoplata View Post
    Work and training is tough. I work 830-5 Sunday thru Thursday and then drive an hour to my gym afterwards, get done training at 9, drive an hour home, then sleep everyday. I leave Friday and Saturday completely open, but usually end up training still. I have no social life outside BJJ/MMA
    I know what you mean brutha. If I'm not training, my son is, and I have to be there for him. and his matches are always on sundays all day long. I'm lucky if I get one day a week to do nothing at all. but, I chose this so its all good.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerrickFlaig View Post
    I know my ultimate goal is to figure out a way to make money through jiu jitsu, but that requires time. How do you balance between training/competing and actually working?
    What problems are you having? Transportation? Money? No time? It seems like it would be straight forward. Work because that's what provides income. Do jiu jitsu when you aren't working.

Array

School
    No Coast BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    What problems are you having? Transportation? Money? No time? It seems like it would be straight forward. Work because that's what provides income. Do jiu jitsu when you aren't working.
    The goal is to not have a 9-5 job and make a living through jiu jitsu. I think that's a goal for a lot of people starting off, but it takes time to get there. My question was just asking what people do to keep the balance (not let work take time away from training and competing)? Honestly if I could have all of my bills and monthly obligations paid and train jiu jitsu all of the time, I would. Right now I'm in school, work a full time (45 hours a week) and train 8 hours a week.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    This is just my opinion and it's biased because I live in a part of the country with a very high cost of living: keep your mind on work and school first and foremost.

Instead of having a mentality of not letting work take away from training, I say, don't let training take away from work.

If anything, you should be going to school for business and focusing on that if you want to open a school one day. Simply being a black belt doesn't mean you'll be able to make a living from being a black belt. And without money you won't be able to afford classes or the proper food to keep you healthy and in the game. So then what? Don't bank on BJJ.

I get your passion. If I'm lucky, at my pace, I'll either peak at purple or at best be a black belt by my late 40's. And I'd love to be able to open a school and retire. Even if I'm not the head instructor. But I also have to keep things in perspective. For example, I'm still a white belt. And any chance of me opening a profitable school is years and years away. So it would be silly to make that my priority.

So in my opinion, the correct balance is to focus on work and school, then fit BJJ into the equation when you can. And since you're training about 8 hours per week, I'd say you're doing just fine. Keep up the good fight. Good luck.

Array

School
    No Coast BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    This is just my opinion and it's biased because I live in a part of the country with a very high cost of living: keep your mind on work and school first and foremost.

Instead of having a mentality of not letting work take away from training, I say, don't let training take away from work.

If anything, you should be going to school for business and focusing on that if you want to open a school one day. Simply being a black belt doesn't mean you'll be able to make a living from being a black belt. And without money you won't be able to afford classes or the proper food to keep you healthy and in the game. So then what? Don't bank on BJJ.

I get your passion. If I'm lucky, at my pace, I'll either peak at purple or at best be a black belt by my late 40's. And I'd love to be able to open a school and retire. Even if I'm not the head instructor. But I also have to keep things in perspective. For example, I'm still a white belt. And any chance of me opening a profitable school is years and years away. So it would be silly to make that my priority.

So in my opinion, the correct balance is to focus on work and school, then fit BJJ into the equation when you can. And since you're training about 8 hours per week, I'd say you're doing just fine. Keep up the good fight. Good luck.

I honestly greatly appreciate this advice. Thank you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast