Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin
    I quit my job so I can train Mon through Friday, but I'm not a tough guy yet so I just do my best to train once a day. In order to do that I deliver Pizza on the weekends, therefor I eat for free on the weekends, and I have a $20 limit on food for the rest of the week from my tips, which usually goes to Ramen Noodles, Instant mashed potatoes, and frozen country fried steak. If I have money left over, I buy bread, and stuff for sandwiches. I have a freezer packed with frozen vegitables and rice just incase I dont make any money or I lose my job.

So for me, the secret to working and training is to work less, train more, therefor less money for food, more money for gas to get me to training, and more money for the utility bill since im doing laundry after every workout. I'm much happier doing it this way than when I was making a lot of money, but hating my life.

The balance isnt in finding when to work and when to train. The balance is in yourself, and asking what are you willing to sacrifice in order to train more. for me,,, I sacrifice food.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dallas Johnson; 01-20-2016 at 02:19 PM. Reason: took out picture

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    This is just my opinion and it's biased because I live in a part of the country with a very high cost of living: keep your mind on work and school first and foremost.

Instead of having a mentality of not letting work take away from training, I say, don't let training take away from work.
    That is some sound advice that may not always be the popular opinion but is definitely the reality for a lot of people.
    Head Instructor - 10th Planet Springfield MA
    LIKE 10th Planet Springfield MA on Facebook: www.facebook.com/10pSpringfieldMA
    Follow us on Instagram: @10pSpringfieldMA
    www.10thplanetspringfieldma.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Johnson View Post
    I quit my job so I can train Mon through Friday, but I'm not a tough guy yet so I just do my best to train once a day. In order to do that I deliver Pizza on the weekends, therefor I eat for free on the weekends, and I have a $20 limit on food for the rest of the week from my tips, which usually goes to Ramen Noodles, Instant mashed potatoes, and frozen country fried steak. If I have money left over, I buy bread, and stuff for sandwiches. I have a freezer packed with frozen vegitables and rice just incase I dont make any money or I lose my job.

So for me, the secret to working and training is to work less, train more, therefor less money for food, more money for gas to get me to training, and more money for the utility bill since im doing laundry after every workout. I'm much happier doing it this way than when I was making a lot of money, but hating my life.

The balance isnt in finding when to work and when to train. The balance is in yourself, and asking what are you willing to sacrifice in order to train more. for me,,, I sacrifice food.
    I'm not sure if that's the wisest thing to do. Ask any top guy how important food is for training. Food is fuel. It not only fuels your body but it fuels your brain. So by not having quality nutrition, you're doing yourself more harm than good. Especially if you're training frequently.

BJJ is grueling and you definitely need to be fueled up. Even if your body is a Ferrari, if you're running on 87 octane, quarter tank full, and some old walmart oil, you're just not operating at your best and other guys are gonna breeze right by you in the long run. And the BJJ path is a long run.

I'm not saying you need to start shopping at whole foods, but I am saying that if you want the most out of your training sessions, you should be putting better fuel into your body. Good luck man. Whatever your choice, just keep training.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Campagnola View Post
    That is some sound advice that may not always be the popular opinion but is definitely the reality for a lot of people.
    I appreciate that. And I know I might look like the bad guy because to some it may sound like I'm discouraging people from pursuing their dreams. I sound like a "hater." In reality, I'm just saying to pursue your dreams wisely.

You know, there are thousands of books, videos, articles telling everyone to pursue their dreams! Go after it! Do it! But they don't mention that you should jump out of a plane with a parachute. You should double check how deep a pool is before you dive in head first. Trapeze artists use safety nets. And novices never perform tight rope walks without a harness or net. Pursuing your dreams is noble. Diving into your dreams without a realistic plan is reckless and a recipe for failure. Like the old saying goes, "If you fail to prepare, then you're preparing to fail." Something like that.

I have many dreams. One of them is to run a school.

But first I need to be good enough. In order to be good enough, I need money to pay for classes. I need money to pay for transportation. I need money to pay for the food that will keep me healthy so I can attend more classes. I need money to pay for icy hot, supplements, vitamins, athletic tape, and braces. I need money to pay for health insurance in case I get a very likely injury. And since BJJ is long term, I foresee multiple injuries. And this is just to get good enough! This isn't even taking into consideration the business knowledge it takes to open a school, market the school, keep track of memberships, dues, overhead, etc. I am no where even close to making a living from BJJ. But I am making a living elsewhere. So why jeopardize the one thing that even makes training possible?

The path to making a living off of BJJ is a marathon, not a sprint. I know I'm only a white belt myself, but I've been around a few years. Long enough to have money affect my training, endure injuries, watch other schools open and shut down. Long enough to know that fast black belts like Keenan and BJ had rich parents that they could live off of while they trained full time. And long enough to know that guys like Geo and Boogey are freaks of nature with years of pre programmed strength, balance, and muscle memory. So for the rest of us mere mortals and middle class, we have to do things the hard way. The looooong way. So if you're really about this, just remember. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't burn yourself out too early because you haven't even passed the first 5 miles.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I appreciate that. And I know I might look like the bad guy because to some it may sound like I'm discouraging people from pursuing their dreams. I sound like a "hater." In reality, I'm just saying to pursue your dreams wisely.

You know, there are thousands of books, videos, articles telling everyone to pursue their dreams! Go after it! Do it! But they don't mention that you should jump out of a plane with a parachute. You should double check how deep a pool is before you dive in head first. Trapeze artists use safety nets. And novices never perform tight rope walks without a harness or net. Pursuing your dreams is noble. Diving into your dreams without a realistic plan is reckless and a recipe for failure. Like the old saying goes, "If you fail to prepare, then you're preparing to fail." Something like that.

I have many dreams. One of them is to run a school.

But first I need to be good enough. In order to be good enough, I need money to pay for classes. I need money to pay for transportation. I need money to pay for the food that will keep me healthy so I can attend more classes. I need money to pay for icy hot, supplements, vitamins, athletic tape, and braces. I need money to pay for health insurance in case I get a very likely injury. And since BJJ is long term, I foresee multiple injuries. And this is just to get good enough! This isn't even taking into consideration the business knowledge it takes to open a school, market the school, keep track of memberships, dues, overhead, etc. I am no where even close to making a living from BJJ. But I am making a living elsewhere. So why jeopardize the one thing that even makes training possible?

The path to making a living off of BJJ is a marathon, not a sprint. I know I'm only a white belt myself, but I've been around a few years. Long enough to have money affect my training, endure injuries, watch other schools open and shut down. Long enough to know that fast black belts like Keenan and BJ had rich parents that they could live off of while they trained full time. And long enough to know that guys like Geo and Boogey are freaks of nature with years of pre programmed strength, balance, and muscle memory. So for the rest of us mere mortals and middle class, we have to do things the hard way. The looooong way. So if you're really about this, just remember. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't burn yourself out too early because you haven't even passed the first 5 miles.

I appreciate your point of view.

I personally find my day devastating if I'm not training. I find ways to train. Yes, I'm paying for jiu jitsu classes, but it's with loan money from school. I sacrifice a lot of social outings to train. Time and again, I've seen pictures on Facebook of friends out and about at a social event that I was invited to and elected to train instead. I have absolutely positively no regrets of that decision. I look to sneak off and grab an early lunch to catch the afternoon class. I embrace laundry and it's inevitability. I look for physical training as well as mental training. We train our minds by watching MTS, hitting the forums, other videos, books, etc. But it's nothing without the mat time. And it's been 3.5 years of consistent training at this point, no injuries beyond nicks and scratches. I take self-preservation extremely seriously, making it my number one priority when I train. I tap early, tap to guys who maybe I "shouldn't be tapping to", just to experience no pain the next day.

My point is, if you want to find a way to train, you'll find a way to train. Because any high level guys will tell you it's not about having rich parents or privates or natural talent. It's about mat time. I've seen guys wash mats, do laundry, clean the academy in order to train because they didn't have the money. Money is needed for certain things in life, but I prefer the quote "Work to live, don't live to work." I'm at a point now in my journey where I absolutely can not WAIT to get on the mats each day, but it took a couple years of training to get to a point where I didn't dread going anymore. It's a long term investment, and you will reap what you sow. Excuses will always be there, but resourceful people make things happen, sometimes with the fewest resources, whether that be time, money, whathaveyou.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I appreciate your point of view.

I personally find my day devastating if I'm not training. I find ways to train. Yes, I'm paying for jiu jitsu classes, but it's with loan money from school. I sacrifice a lot of social outings to train. Time and again, I've seen pictures on Facebook of friends out and about at a social event that I was invited to and elected to train instead. I have absolutely positively no regrets of that decision. I look to sneak off and grab an early lunch to catch the afternoon class. I embrace laundry and it's inevitability. I look for physical training as well as mental training. We train our minds by watching MTS, hitting the forums, other videos, books, etc. But it's nothing without the mat time. And it's been 3.5 years of consistent training at this point, no injuries beyond nicks and scratches. I take self-preservation extremely seriously, making it my number one priority when I train. I tap early, tap to guys who maybe I "shouldn't be tapping to", just to experience no pain the next day.

My point is, if you want to find a way to train, you'll find a way to train. Because any high level guys will tell you it's not about having rich parents or privates or natural talent. It's about mat time. I've seen guys wash mats, do laundry, clean the academy in order to train because they didn't have the money. Money is needed for certain things in life, but I prefer the quote "Work to live, don't live to work." I'm at a point now in my journey where I absolutely can not WAIT to get on the mats each day, but it took a couple years of training to get to a point where I didn't dread going anymore. It's a long term investment, and you will reap what you sow. Excuses will always be there, but resourceful people make things happen, sometimes with the fewest resources, whether that be time, money, whathaveyou.
    I appreciate your point of view as well. I don't see it having any conflict with my point of view. It's just an added perspective. I'm saying, "when you're a white belt, don't sprint to the finish line. It's a long road. You have time. Make wise sacrifices." Your point is "sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get more mat time." And again, I say, "make wise sacrifices."

I'm glad you've never had an injury. I'm sure you're a young healthy man. Freak accidents happen, though. The top guys get injured too. Mat time is essential. Obviously the top guys have the most mat time. It just so happens that some of them can afford full time mat time because they have rich parents who take care of them so they don't have to make as big a sacrifice as others. Most guys don't have the luxury of training full time. So they have to go the long way. So you have to be wise about what you sacrifice along the way. For example, if you're neglecting your schoolwork because you want to train, then you're being irresponsible. "But he found a way to train!" If you're neglecting your spouse or children because you want to train, you suck. "But at least I'm training." It's ridiculous. But some people take that phrase "if you want to train, you'll find a way" and turn it into a sort of mantra to justify neglecting their responsibilities. Others take it to heart because they do want to train, but truly don't have the means.

I don't think people understand the difference between making excuses and having valid reasons. Responsibilities aren't excuses. Limitations aren't excuses. Don't have money? Ask to wash mats! Then have the owner laugh you off explaining that they don't run a charity. Not all school owners have big hearts. Don't have time? Quit your job! Now you have plenty of time....but no money.

That's one phrase that truly grinds my gears. "If you want to train, you'll find a way." Technically it's true, but it doesn't take into account that sometimes it takes time to find a way. It doesn't take into account that finding a way to train means buying DVD's and making DIY grappling dummies. Or going to a seminar once a year. Or trying to convince your friends to roll around with you in your living room while you're both clueless. It doesn't take into account that some people are overburdened with responsibilities and have to work 2 jobs to provide for a family or have to take care of a sick relative around the clock.

So you have poor, sick, stranded, or overburdened guys feeling like crap because they don't have the means to train consistently. Their passion is called into question. Even worse, I feel like the ones who love to use that sentiment are usually guys who have the time, freedom, and money to train conveniently. It's unfair to expect others to make much larger sacrifices than yourself to do the same thing. I find that phrase short sighted and irresponsible if it's not followed up with some sort of addendum. "If you want to train, you'll find a way.....if you actually have an open slot of time in your life....or if you have the money...if you aren't overburdened with responsibilities...etc."

I definitely agree with the sentiment that we should work to live, not live to work. But sacrificing too much for something that gives so little in return is no way to live. Life is about balance. Give and take. Don't give BJJ more than it gives back. If you can find a way to train all the time, do it. If you can't, don't force it. Make sure the sacrifices are actually worth it.

By the way, where do you work that you can sneak in training sessions during lunch? How close is your gym to your job?

Array

School
    I appreciate your point of view as well. I don't see it having any conflict with my point of view. It's just an added perspective. I'm saying, "when you're a white belt, don't sprint to the finish line. It's a long road. You have time. Make wise sacrifices." Your point is "sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get more mat time." And again, I say, "make wise sacrifices."

I'm glad you've never had an injury. I'm sure you're a young healthy man. Freak accidents happen, though. The top guys get injured too. Mat time is essential. Obviously the top guys have the most mat time. It just so happens that some of them can afford full time mat time because they have rich parents who take care of them so they don't have to make as big a sacrifice as others. Most guys don't have the luxury of training full time. So they have to go the long way. So you have to be wise about what you sacrifice along the way. For example, if you're neglecting your schoolwork because you want to train, then you're being irresponsible. "But he found a way to train!" If you're neglecting your spouse or children because you want to train, you suck. "But at least I'm training." It's ridiculous. But some people take that phrase "if you want to train, you'll find a way" and turn it into a sort of mantra to justify neglecting their responsibilities. Others take it to heart because they do want to train, but truly don't have the means.

I don't think people understand the difference between making excuses and having valid reasons. Responsibilities aren't excuses. Limitations aren't excuses. Don't have money? Ask to wash mats! Then have the owner laugh you off explaining that they don't run a charity. Not all school owners have big hearts. Don't have time? Quit your job! Now you have plenty of time....but no money.

That's one phrase that truly grinds my gears. "If you want to train, you'll find a way." Technically it's true, but it doesn't take into account that sometimes it takes time to find a way. It doesn't take into account that finding a way to train means buying DVD's and making DIY grappling dummies. Or going to a seminar once a year. Or trying to convince your friends to roll around with you in your living room while you're both clueless. It doesn't take into account that some people are overburdened with responsibilities and have to work 2 jobs to provide for a family or have to take care of a sick relative around the clock.

So you have poor, sick, stranded, or overburdened guys feeling like crap because they don't have the means to train consistently. Their passion is called into question. Even worse, I feel like the ones who love to use that sentiment are usually guys who have the time, freedom, and money to train conveniently. It's unfair to expect others to make much larger sacrifices than yourself to do the same thing. I find that phrase short sighted and irresponsible if it's not followed up with some sort of addendum. "If you want to train, you'll find a way.....if you actually have an open slot of time in your life....or if you have the money...if you aren't overburdened with responsibilities...etc."

I definitely agree with the sentiment that we should work to live, not live to work. But sacrificing too much for something that gives so little in return is no way to live. Life is about balance. Give and take. Don't give BJJ more than it gives back. If you can find a way to train all the time, do it. If you can't, don't force it. Make sure the sacrifices are actually worth it.

By the way, where do you work that you can sneak in training sessions during lunch? How close is your gym to your job?
    Make wise sacrifices. You are correct. Hegardless, you will reap what you sow in any area of life.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    Make wise sacrifices. You are correct. Hegardless, you will reap what you sow in any area of life.
    Absolutely. So it's like, if you combine our advice, it comes out like a word of encouragement and a word of caution.

"Bust your ass and work hard for it. Mat time is king. But also, make sure your priorities are in order."

I think that comes together well.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I'm not sure if that's the wisest thing to do. Ask any top guy how important food is for training. Food is fuel. It not only fuels your body but it fuels your brain. So by not having quality nutrition, you're doing yourself more harm than good. Especially if you're training frequently.

BJJ is grueling and you definitely need to be fueled up. Even if your body is a Ferrari, if you're running on 87 octane, quarter tank full, and some old walmart oil, you're just not operating at your best and other guys are gonna breeze right by you in the long run. And the BJJ path is a long run.

I'm not saying you need to start shopping at whole foods, but I am saying that if you want the most out of your training sessions, you should be putting better fuel into your body. Good luck man. Whatever your choice, just keep training.
    Thank you for the great advice, I'm not starving by any means, Im currently 280lb at 6'2. I can stand to lose some weight. Last night after practice I ate 2 packets of ramen noodles, with 2 cans of sardines. this morning the wife made me some eggs and pancakes. I usually eat around 1,500-1,800 calories throughout the week days, and then I consume about 2,500 on the weekends, its just under 3,000 calorie deficit per week, which at my body weight and BMI, is just under 1 lb a week for me. I have lost 20lbs since august doing this. I started at 294lbs.

I completely agree and appreciate the advice for eating healthier, but I witnessed my father eat nothing but hamburgers, meat and bun, and potato chips my entire life, Im 31 years old, and I have never seen my father eat any fruits or vegetables in my life. He worked 16 hours a day as a mechanic for 40 years before he retired, hes 69 years old, and still a hard ass. I dont like going against the tide, but nutrition is bunk. Nutrition as we know it has only been around for the last 60 years. For 80,000 years humans have been 'mono' eaters and lived off what they could find. Thats just my 2 cents.

Thank you again though for your great advice and support. But I lost 100lbs in 1 year back in 2004, just so I could join the Marines, and I plan on losing it again. With a 3,000 calorie deficit per week in food, and training 8 hours a week, medium to high intensity, which is 400-600 calories per hour, which is just under 4,000 calories burned per week, I should be reaching the 2lb bench mark of fat loss per week, which is considered a healthy standard.

But your absolutely right, I have much more to learn about nutrition and I can certainly benefit from healthier choices, thank you again.
    Last edited by Dallas Johnson; 01-21-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Array

School
    Don't give BJJ more than it gives back.

To this point though, if you ever expect to open a school, you can't expect Jiu Jitsu to invest in you if you haven't invested in Jiu Jitsu. If caring for a sick relative has taught anyone anything, at least in my instance, it teaches us that our days are numbered. We ought to have the free will to do what makes us happy. Obviously balance is key. But if you get over the first couple year hump and train in a way that is safe from injury, and this is achieved thru knowledge, mat time, and no ego, you will connect with Jiu Jitsu more. It will become a part of you, a connection that follows you throughout the day, through your actions.

Mat time is time well spent on this Earth. And all our days are numbered, so we ought to have the free will to train if it makes us happy. Virtually no circumstance has kept every single person that it afflicts off the mats if it's that important to them. Obviously, with balance. But what the hell is balance without Jiu Jitsu? That's my perspective.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 01-21-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast