Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin Ireland/ Pedro Bessa ballincollig
    i thought money and fame made people happy.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by eoin ahern View Post
    Confucius say "happiness come from within"... if you are a healthy balanced person money and fame are probably great fun. If not, it's a lot like heroin.. it might make you feel really good for a couple hours but it'll likely destroy your life in the long-run.

Array

School
    Team AMMA
    Use less emotive language and you might not get called for 'trolling' whether you are or not.

Like or hate a person, I want them to be 100% honest in interviews and respect to Ronda for being that.
    www.twitter.com/totalpac

www.totalpackagepromotions.net
    Don't stop dreaming just cause you wake

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by vdesire View Post
    Ok so my opinion isn't worth much, I don't know her so I have no right to make any judgements and yet people on here not knowing me have told me I have problems with women and need to check myself. Is the irony lost on you ?
    Reading comprehension is vital my friend. I never said you have no right. Just saying that your opinion isn't worth much because it's not well informed and clearly biased. To your point I offered counter points. To my point you only offer a defensive response that proves you missed the point. Let me be a bit clearer.

Your point: it makes a mockery....
    My point: no it doesn't because...(go back and read my post)

Your point: way to live up to the stereotype
    My point: your statement is biased because it ignores the fact that many male athletes also cry after a loss

Also, what's important when trying to have a productive conversation isn't just to be aware of what was said, but to be aware of what was NOT said. No one said you didn't have the right to make judgments or have an opinion. I suggested that you don't have sufficient information to have a well informed opinion. And I asserted that not all opinions are created equal. The well informed opinion trumps the poorly informed opinion. An opinion based in facts is superior to an opinion formed on emotions.

I also suggested that due to obvious bias regarding her gender, you may have some hidden issues toward women. For like the fourth time, plenty of adult male professional (and amateur) athletes cry after a loss. So why bring up Ronda's gender as if it mattered? I conclude that you're biased because there is no other logical conclusion I can arrive at.

Now, instead of being all defensive, counter my points.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by eoin ahern View Post
    It does. But that doesn't rule out the fact that other things can make people sad.

I mean, imagine that you just had the best steak of your life at Peter Luger, you step outside and get hit by a car. Now you're sad in a hospital bed. Would it make sense to say, "I thought delicious meals made people happy?"

Money and fame does make people happy. But it doesn't make people immune to unhappiness, depression, or mental illness.

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    You know it's not well informed how ? What you actually mean is you disagree with it therefore it must be not well informed because if it was it would agree with the clever people like you.

Clearly biased how ? Again because it does not conform to your narrative, that's what you really mean.

Mockery point still stands. I don't need to have experienced something in order to have an opinion on it. Nor does it in any way invalidate an opinion. Joe Rogan has never fought in the UFC therefore his opinion on fights in the UFC are invalid. That is the same logic you are using.

You still haven't seen the irony in telling me I don't know her etc and then proceeding to do an arm chair Freud on me, yet you don't know me. Weird.

To address what Arman said- What I said IS meaningful, you just don't like the meaning and don't like what I said. There is a difference.

I am aware many adult male athletes cry too. The point was that Ronda has been talked up like some sort of flagship female for women to show how tough they are and she isn't some emotional woman the way some men often portray all women. What happened after the fight ? She didn't want to even show her face and hid behind a pillow. How many other fighters have done that ? Flies in the face of the image she created for herself. It's not the first person someone has been dethroned but I thought it quite telling how she handled it. Men are humans, women are humans. Humans have emotions. Humans cry. It is no big deal for either gender, it's really more the image you have created and the stereotype breaking image she had.

I also find it very irresponsible of her to mention suicide. Rightly or wrongly she has many young admirers and people see her as a role model. (I think she is a very bad role model) Young people are impressionable, especially the social media generation and she should be aware of the affect she can have on people.

Someone has disagreed with you on the internet, it's not really a big deal.

Array

School
    Damn son. You really do struggle with reading comprehension.

How do I know you're not well informed? Because you lack sufficient information in your point and you can't counterpoint with anything but defense and questions. And then the information you provide is erroneous. Like talking about how she's talked herself up as some emotionless woman who isn't like other women. I guess in your dislike of her you opted to avoid listening to her interviews. She's been very vulnerable about how much it stresses her out to fight. How she has to put on that fight face for a whole week to psych herself out. How she's relieved every time a fight is over and she can let her guard down. How she's very emotional. How she's very much a girl.

How do I know you're clearly biased? Because you brought up a stereotype to support your point but it falls flat. You brought up an accusation and it doesn't fit. How many other fighters are stalked by the papparazzi?

You still don't see how you're lacking reading comprehension? When I pointed out how you don't know Ronda, I was pointing out how it's a bit unreasonable for you to have contempt for her since you don't know her. That statement has nothing to do with our right to arrive at conclusions. And trying to change the subject still doesn't offer a counterpoint.

The mockery point doesn't stand. I didn't say that you had to experience it to understand it. I said that plenty of people who have endured struggles have also contemplated suicide. I doubt they're offended. I'm not. I've been through hell in my life and I understand where she's coming from. I don't compare her struggles to mine. That's unfair to her and me.

And about Rogan.....Rogan has an INFORMED opinion.

Someone on the internet keeps dismantling your points. It's not really a big deal.

Array

School
    Why is it irresponsible to bring up suicide? If anything, I think it's a good thing to bring awareness. You know, show that you can overcome it. How is that irresponsible?

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    "The point was that Ronda has been talked up like some sort of flagship female for women"

I didn't say Ronda talked herself up did I ? I said has been talked up, that implies by other people not by Ronda herself.
    Reading comprehension lolz ! !

Where did I say I had contempt for Ronda ? I said I thought she was a bad role model and acted like a spoilt brat huffy child.
    That is not the same as having contempt for. You can criticise someone without thinking they are worthless.
    Reading comprehension lolz !

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Why is it irresponsible to bring up suicide? If anything, I think it's a good thing to bring awareness. You know, show that you can overcome it. How is that irresponsible?
    Because people tend to mimic their idols. I am sure she could have expressed her disappointment at losing using a better choice of words. Many stars have suffered with depression and raised awareness of it which is of course a good thing but that's not what she was doing here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast