Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    I love how this whole thread's talking about the Ellen Degeneres show.

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    As the article states......

"If you answered no to these questions then please sit back down on your couch and continue to support the fighters who go through emotions you know nothing about."

It's right in one sense, I know nothing about these emotions and I never will no matter what level I ever achieve of anything. As I stated earlier a bit of a reality check is needed here. Lets use another sport as an example. Basketball players pours his heart and soul into it but fails to be NBA champion. Is he going to consider suicide because he didn't manage to throw a ball through a hoop ? That's what basketball is, throwing a ball through a hoop.

A golfer does the same and is suicidal because he didn't manage to knock a ball into a hole in the dirt. I mean it sounds ridiculous when you think of it in these terms. Just because you have not experienced something does not mean you cannot be critical of it. That would be a very silly way to go through life.

UFC championships, NBA titles etc will all seem rather trivial when actual adversity and actual heartache is upon you. Have a read of the last words of the recently deceased Steve Jobs, interesting reading which I hope might put things in perspective a little.

"I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world.

In others’ eyes, my life is an epitome of success.

However, aside from work, I have little joy. In the end, wealth is only a fact of life that I am accustomed to.

At this moment, lying on the sick bed and recalling my whole life, I realize that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in, have paled and become meaningless in the face of impending death.

In the darkness, I look at the green lights from the life supporting machines and hear the humming mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of God and of death drawing closer…

Now I know, when we have accumulated sufficient wealth to last our lifetime, we should pursue other matters that are unrelated to wealth…

Should be something that is more important:

Perhaps relationships, perhaps art, perhaps a dream from younger days …

Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me.

God gave us the senses to let us feel the love in everyone’s heart, not the illusions brought about by wealth.

The wealth I have won in my life I cannot bring with me.

What I can bring is only the memories precipitated by love.

That’s the true riches which will follow you, accompany you, giving you strength and light to go on.

Love can travel a thousand miles. Life has no limit. Go where you want to go. Reach the height you want to reach. It is all in your heart and in your hands.

What is the most expensive bed in the world? – “Sick bed” …

You can employ someone to drive the car for you, make money for you but you cannot have someone to bear the sickness for you.

Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”.

When a person goes into the operating room, he will realize that there is one book that he has yet to finish reading – “Book of Healthy Life”.

Whichever stage in life we are at right now, with time, we will face the day when the curtain comes down.

Treasure Love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends…

Treat yourself well. Cherish others.”

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    .................................................. ...................wtf guys.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I don't think the interview was pathetic. Ronda is an image but behind the image is a person. She's partially responsible for the hype train but the media, the industry and the fans all play a part. She is a bad ass but that has nothing to do with how low she felt at that moment. I don't think Ellen knew what was gonna happen. I don't think Ronda knew. I think in that moment, she slipped and we saw Ronda the person. You're entitled to your opinion but I doubt any of that was planned. Not pathetic at all.

Why is everyone still engaging him?
    IG - @TLAR13

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    What upsets you doesn't have to be the same thing that upsets someone else. She's overcome plenty of adversity. She didn't commit suicide. She dealt with a hard loss and is coming back. Not sure what your deal is.
    If you're not a fan be not a fan. But she ain't pathetic.

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Larsen View Post
    Why is everyone still engaging him?
    Someone has a different opinion so lets just ignore him, not exactly very open minded is it ? Something I believe this forum prides itself on.

NelsonLucca - It's hard not be cynical about these kinds of things sometimes. What is a media stunt ? What is planned ? Is it all a calculated move etc ? People are very media savvy these days as they realise the power it can wield and will use it to their advantage. Sometimes I find it hard to distinguish the genuine from the publicity stunt type stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Alright, let's decompose this conversation. First, we have the (fairly common) view that Ronda is excessively braggadocious and unsportsmanlike. I will argue (with sources) that she is in fact complimentary of opponents who don’t cross the line first, and that she has displayed far less arrogance than many of the luminaries of the sport including Dan Henderson, Conor McGregor, and others. I will conjecture that her portrayal in the media as overly arrogant is likely the by-product of overt sexism; this portrayal is almost note-for-note parallel to that of early Muhammad Ali, which was motivated by racism. Second, we have the claim that the mere fact that Ronda contemplated suicide is disgraceful. I will show evidence that these kind of thoughts are quite common among high achievers in general and athletes after a loss in particular. Further, I will argue that Ronda’s particular response was exacerbated by two psychopathological conditions: an ongoing and permanent persecution complex, and acute post-concussive depression.

There are many possible quotes from Rousey that illustrate her arrogance. She has said numerous times over the past few years: “I am the greatest fighter [in the world/of all time/in women’s combat]”. However, the most pertinent quote to the discussion is from Instagram post weigh-in and pre-fight about Holly: “Fake ass cheap shotting fake respect fake humility bitch – “preacher’s daughter” my ass – I see through your fake sweet act now – you’re getting your ass kicked tomorrow, and I’m really going to enjoy the beating I give you.” This seems pretty cocky when taken out of context, but isn’t actually that bad. First, here’s the cheap shot she was referring to ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGA_hYE9fpI ). Holly pushed Ronda’s jaw with her fist. Not a big deal, but enough to piss off an amped-up, perennially-persecuted Rousey (more on that later). In context, she was angry and motivating herself to fight, so she vilified her opponent. For comparison, let’s look at what some other (male) fighters have said. Conor McGregor: “On March 5th I will behead Rafael Dos Anjos, I will drag his head through the streets of Rio de Janeiro through a parade of people.” Frank Mir: “I hate who he is as a person. I want to break his neck in the ring. I want him to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries.” Josh Barnett: “I go to Australia a fighter...I come back a murderer.” Chael Sonnen: “I'm about to come down there and whoop your ass in a second. ... Real talk, stupid. Speak English. I don't speak ghetto.” Is Ronda more arrogant than these men? Maybe, but not by any significant measure.

Let’s take a look at what Ronda said about Holly before the weigh-ins:
    "Since day one I've been watching her, she's been undefeated to this point. She's been really impressive to how she's adapted to MMA and gone from just pure boxing to head kick knockouts and seeing how she's come into the UFC, I know she's the type of a fighter I want to test myself against.” ( http://goo.gl/ld7gGd )
    Hmmm, pretty complimentary. But that’s just an isolated incident, right? Nope.
    “She’s a nice chick, I don’t have anything against her. She’s just a nice chick that’s going to lose… she’s a 19-time boxing world champion with 100% takedown defence and headkick knockouts. She’s undefeated, an amazing, and definitely the biggest threat to me.” ( https://goo.gl/HjAo4i )
    And it isn’t just Holly; she has been complimentary about nearly all of her opponents:
    (McMann): "I couldn't be more excited than to have an athlete on Sara's level to test myself against. It raises the whole level for everyone. I don't have a bad thing to say about her." (http://goo.gl/1mYc2J )
    She wasn’t complimentary towards Bethe Correia, mainly because of this:
    Bethe Correia: “When her mother put pressure on her, she ran away from home. When she lost, it was to drugs. She even suffered from a food compulsion… Please, don’t kill yourself.” (http://goo.gl/u98VGK)
    Rousey’s response: “Suicide is no joke or selling point. My father will be with me the day I hand you the comeuppance you deserve.”
    Yeah, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t touch gloves or shake hands with someone who made fun of my shitty childhood. Hell, I bet even *Brandon McKraffren* wouldn’t shake hands after that.

*More Later*

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345