Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Ok on a serious note, perhaps one where we don't try and score points on each other. This is quite relevant to the conversation and quite a scary statistic, a single concussion may triple the long term risk of suicide, wow........

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...k-of-suicide1/

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by vdesire View Post
    Ok on a serious note, perhaps one where we don't try and score points on each other. This is quite relevant to the conversation and quite a scary statistic, a single concussion may triple the long term risk of suicide, wow........

Yeah, that's crazy, man. I think people who don't participate in violent sports don't understand the consequences of concussion. Actually, most people who do participate in violent sports don't understand the consequences; at least not until the damage is done and the effects are setting in. I really hope all the new knowledge coming out begins to change the way our sport is trained. I know that's happening at the high levels, but at the local levels there's still so much of the "let me bang bro" stuff.

As far as the troll stuff, if you use your real name and school people will let you slide. When you signed up for the forum it asked you to use your real name. That, in my opinion, is why the negativity on this forum is usually pretty limited. Nobody is hiding behind a screen name. Just something to think about.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Cody MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    As far as the troll stuff, if you use your real name and school people will let you slide. When you signed up for the forum it asked you to use your real name. That, in my opinion, is why the negativity on this forum is usually pretty limited. Nobody is hiding behind a screen name. Just something to think about.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brandon Mccaghren again.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    "The point was that Ronda has been talked up like some sort of flagship female for women"

I didn't say Ronda talked herself up did I ? I said has been talked up, that implies by other people not by Ronda herself.
    Reading comprehension lolz ! !

Where did I say I had contempt for Ronda ? I said I thought she was a bad role model and acted like a spoilt brat huffy child.
    That is not the same as having contempt for. You can criticise someone without thinking they are worthless.
    Reading comprehension lolz !
    So how are you holding her to a standard that she didn't put up for herself? My logic interfered with my reading comprehension because I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you were using logic. So think about it. How are you using the "you made your bed now sleep in it" line of reasoning if Ronda isn't the one who made that bed?

Your condemnation of her and your accusations without at least trying to put yourself in her shoes registers as contempt. By your response I don't think you know what contempt means. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contempt?s=t

Because people tend to mimic their idols. I am sure she could have expressed her disappointment at losing using a better choice of words. Many stars have suffered with depression and raised awareness of it which is of course a good thing but that's not what she was doing here.
    Great. So if they mimic her, they will see that they can overcome suicidal thoughts. So again, how was it irresponsible?

IDK man, you're throwing stones at her and missing. You don't really have much of a leg to stand on to support your accusations. I mean, you can say that you don't like her on screen behavior. Neither do I. You can say that she's a bad role model for being in a relationship with a married man accused of beating his estranged wife. You could say a lot of things. But the points you brought up really don't stick. She has the right to feel how she felt. There's no way around it.

Wow. That's nuts. Thanks for sharing.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I also want to throw this in the mix. Both Crocop and Arlovski have been suicidal after suffering losses. How do you view that? Do you have the same feelings toward them that you do toward Rousey?

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Some good questions there David and good point Brandon, I'll post up my replies later on, I'm just back from training.
    I'm quite excited for Bellator later tonight !

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Right the dictionary definition of contempt I was using is......

"the feeling that a person or a thing is worthless or beneath consideration."

I certainly do not think she is worthless or beneath consideration. I certainly don't hate her as a human, I don't think I could
    really name anyone I could say I actually hate. Hate is a very strong word.

Ronda has crafted a persona for herself and has also had a persona crafted for her by others, obviously the two are not one and the same. The bratty attitude and lack of sportsmanship and general lack of class and grace is her own doing. She has eaten humble pie in that sense. Will it bring about a positive change, will she learn from this and come back stronger ? That's the key question. I certainly think she needed some humble pie. The super woman image that other made for her has also come to an end. It's a cold hard dose of reality. But I fear reality is still not with her when she comes out with her I choose to remain undefeated etc. Why did you choose to lose then ?!?!? Madness !

"Great. So if they mimic her, they will see that they can overcome suicidal thoughts. So again, how was it irresponsible?"

Well she did say I saw Travis Browne and thought I need to have his babies, I need to stay alive etc. Is that the way out ? How are people to mimic that ? For some people they pour their heart and soul into certain thing and it's such a big part of their identity that if it doesn't work out it seems like the end of the world. To me you just need a reality check, what you are doing is not really important in the grand scheme of things. It's a sport, nothing more. It's not like your are starving or your family is being murdered etc. These are the kinds of things which are actually important.

"I also want to throw this in the mix. Both Crocop and Arlovski have been suicidal after suffering losses. How do you view that? Do you have the same feelings toward them that you do toward Rousey?"

Pretty much the same answer I gave above. Get with reality, it's only a sport. It's not actually important. I am not being extra harsh or having special rules for Ronda because she is female if that's what you mean.
    You could argue that in order to be a world champion you do indeed need to pour your heart and soul into it. But I mean other people have been world champions in many sports etc and haven't been suicidal when it all went pear shaped. Or at least if they were they did not speak about it.

Brandon - Not trying to hide behind anything. I can go and change my username to my real name (Kenneth Ewen) if it's a problem. I have strong views on things, I realise other people do too. I don't disregard them as humans or think their views aren't worth much because of this though. I like it when people have strong views on stuff as at least they are bothered. Nothing more depressing than apathy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Brandon - Not trying to hide behind anything. I can go and change my username to my real name (Kenneth Ewen) if it's a problem. I have strong views on things, I realise other people do too. I don't disregard them as humans or think their views aren't worth much because of this though. I like it when people have strong views on stuff as at least they are bothered. Nothing more depressing than apathy.
    I'm definitely not saying that everyone who posts without using their real name is hiding behind a username. That's definitely not the case. Some just have security concerns, other reasons, whatever.

I'm saying that the fact that Eddie asked everybody to use their real name seems to keep this particular forum from devolving into what Sherdog (in particular) and MMA.tv became. Saying "My name is ___ and I am a ___ belt under ___" helps keep most people from saying too much that they wouldn't say face to face.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    Yeah I get what you mean. I'm way more obnoxious in real life though

Array

School
    DMMA Dundee Scotland
    How do I change my username then ? I can't seem to find it in settings.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast