Array

School
    Adrenaline Training Centre

Intro + Popped Rib

What shakin' 10thP just wanted to say hi to everyone active on the forum and introduce myself. Actual name is Justin Konikow, been triaing under Rowan Cunningham at Adrenaline Training Centre for some time. Wish there was a 10thP nearby but have had to use the books and website to make my way. Recently popped a rib training and been told I HAVE to take 3-4 weeks off. Actually doesn't feel that bad but wondering if anyone here has experience with that. Also, if anyone finds their way to London Ontario happy to train and roll anytime!

Array

School
    10th Planet Yuma
    About 2 years ago i was rolling and got slammed pretty good, to where i had a small knot on my back, but ignored it. A week later it broke, and again i ignored it for another 2 weeks. broken ribs are pretty painful, i couldnt do literally anything at all for almost 2 months, no training, coughing, sneezing, walking, sleeping, everything hurt. Id honestly stay off it as much as possible

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    i popped one in my first 6 months of training. Hurt pretty bad but I tried to just power through it. That caused me to injure it more seriously and lost about 5 weeks.

Rib separation is one of those injuries that can get worse if you don't heal it completely. Come back early at your own risk.

Array

School
    Adrenaline Training Centre
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Sticking to just drilling no rolling. Jsut found out there's a 10th Planet in Rochester 3.5 hrs from here. Have a business associate there so I'll check it out soon!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ann Arbor
    I popped a rib twice in competition. Take your time before returning to rolling. Once it happens you are more susceptible to it.

Also, Ann Arbor isn't too far from London, ON. If you ever pass through Michigan please stop by to see us

Array

School
    One Combat Academy
    Popped my ribs twice, took a couple weeks off of rolling. Still drilled, just no sparring. Broke 2 ribs in competition in October, took about 2 weeks completely off, then got back in for SOME drilling, and at 6 weeks out was in Costa Mesa getting savaged but sparring just fine.
    Time off is a good thing. Helps you reflect.

ive popped my floating rib a while back, tried to ignore it but was to painful, ended up taking time off, came back to early and it popped again, take whatever time off for it to heal properly or risk needing to have more time off the mat because of re injuring it.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club, 10th Planet Ronin
    Popped my rib 2 weeks before NAGA, took those two weeks off and then competed.....hurt them much worse. I didn't do any rolling for 5 weeks and slowly got back in it. Take the time to heal...it sucks but nothing you can do about it.

how do popped ribs even happen? Like what can u do to avoid it? I don't understand how u guys r getting popped ribs? What position are u in when it happens? How you being compressed? Like... How

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    Quote Originally Posted by elrith View Post
    how do popped ribs even happen? Like what can u do to avoid it? I don't understand how u guys r getting popped ribs? What position are u in when it happens? How you being compressed? Like... How
    I did it in a stretched position with a combination of pushing, pulling and twisting. All of a sudden there was a pop and a I could not crunch, laugh, cough or sneeze for the next 2 weeks. Then 2 more weeks until light rolling and another 2 before I could roll close to full intensity.

In hindsight, I was probably trying to force things or fight to hard for a positional battle instead of flowing.