Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How old is too old to get good?

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on age and the 10th Planet system? I was talking to an acquaintance who does traditional BJJ who is 37 and he was saying that he liked the system, but felt it was a 'young man's system' and that advancing to a decent level of proficiency would be difficult for anyone over 30. I'm not sure if he was trying to talk me out of doing it and bring me back to that "pure Gracie jiujitsu". Personally, I'm 35 and haven't found the flexibility requirements are that bad as long as work on it (I've done yoga for about 5 years regularly).

I'm just wondering what the more experienced peeps here think?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    If a move isn't working for you, there is a replacement. Stretching is important for injury prevention as you age anyway. If your interested in training 10th Planet, go for it, you for sure will be no where close to the oldest student.

I have a student in his 60's that drives in for private lessons all the way from Houston because he feels he has plateaued with the traditional jiu-jitsu hes doing and hes looking to add something else. It is working GREAT for him and he is loving it and has become a huge 10th Planet fan.

Thanks Brian.

Yeah, at this point to be honest I'm honestly loving the system and approach too much to quit. Just sort of wondering what peoples response to that view is as because I've only been at it for a short time, I have no real long term perspective.

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I'm 32, coming up on 33 shortly, and in my mind I still have an enormous amount of room to grow and improve inside of the 10th Planet system, and I have never once thought that my age may become a limiting factor. I work on my flexibility daily, because I want to be able to use it to my advantage where possible. I think it's a misconception that 10th Planet is heavily flexibility-based. If you look past the rubber guard, there aren't that many techniques which require advanced flexibility. I think this is especially true considering that the system has grown to include such a focus on leg locks recently.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    I started up mid 40s and I am not very flexible - except for hindu control there is not much I have run across that is problematic for me. Most of what may appear like it requires excess flexibility doesn't - you need to learn how to move your hips and angle properly.

age is just a stupid number
    I want a giant concrete fortress in a forest close to the ocean that leaps up like a crystal explosion frozen in motion.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    It all depends on what kind of shape your body is in or what kind of shape you can get your body in
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Gracie jiu jitsu for defensive foundation, 10th planet game to round out the offense. This is equivalent to playing Mario party 3 on N64 and doing dual mode, and getting a strong offensive partner like Boo in front of you and a strong defensive partner like that frankenstein wall dude behind you. Don't force anything if it feels uncomfortable. Stay injury free above winning the roll. Cheers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I started Jiu-Jitsu and 10th Planet when I was 35. I am 39 now, while I do feel injuries a bit more, I feel that I am still improving and can provide a challenge for any opponent.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    A young man's system? In what way? It's all just jiu jitsu. I don't think your friend knows what he's talking about. There are certainly plenty of people over 30 doing both traditional BJJ and 10th planet.

In traditional BJJ somehow easier on your body? I don't think so. In fact you could probably make the argument that gi-based jiu jitsu is harder on the old guys. They say the grips are the first thing to go. In the gi you are nothing without grips. Are you too old to clinch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast