Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Border Wars 5 Match

Hey everyone!
    Been a little while since I've posted comp videos, I've been at the gym training hard and fixing holes in my game as well as preparing for this last event.

I had a 2 month training camp and moved up 10lb from 145 to face my buddy Aaron Chidester. Last minute he got sick and couldn't make it out, so I had a new opponent who was 160+ a few days out. Also a good friend and a younger grappler.

My goal coming into the match was to work on my nerves, to relax and flow. My coach set goals for me in this match to sweep, and spend some time on top control, Pass, get points, and then go for the finish at the end.

I locked up the D'arce pretty early, but wanted to work on my comp game so we kept the action going. I was actually really happy to win on points this time because it's been something I've struggled with a lot against lower level opponents. I like my guard game, but when I don't finish it costs me. Was nice to hit my sweeps, passes, and look relaxed while doing it.

I would love any constructive criticism and as always appreciate all the support #10wo #10p4lhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzxFX5...ature=youtu.be

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Also, we had a gentleman's agreement of no leg locks. (I was pretty bummed, but he had a fight for 2 weeks later on an MMA card.)

Array

School
    Steel City MMA
    I'm glad I came back and re-read your first post, because as I watched it I was seeing leg lock opportunities left and right, and wondered why you didn't take them.

I'll just give my thoughts chronologically.
    0:22 You had his posture broken in full guard, and when he regained his posture you opened your guard and let him out.
    0:54 Nice butterfly sweep
    1:19 When you move into knee on belly, he's framing on your knee, which is a great opportunity take the underhook to armbar
    2:15 He's open to a lot of different attacks, but he gets you to move to z-guard and then open guard.
    ~2:41 Nice mount. Can't see everything, but there was a Samurai opportunity there before you twister passed.
    3:08 Nice sweep
    ~3:35 Good job controlling that position and moving to mount.
    3:43 I use that choke a lot, so I love seeing you go for it. If you think it's going to fail because of his frame on your hip, it looks like a good opportunity to trap that arm with your knee / shin, ie. "Split Series"
    4:30 Good armbar escape. If you can rotate your right arm so that your thumb is against his chest, stay closer to his butt, and stay heavy, you should be able to to pass to his side and save your arm. Basically an "L-Drop" defense, if you're familiar with that.
    4:53 I thought you were going to hit a twister...and the bell rang!

I'm by no means trying to tell you what you should have done instead, just letting you know what I see. Before I re-read your description, my thoughts were that you definitely look smoother and more skilled than your opponent. Good fight!

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Sorry for the delay responding. I really appreciate the support and the kind words. Especially the write up! Thank you

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago/KJJ
    Was tough not to attack the legs. My whole training camp was leg lock based lol